Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 5:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just arrived
Just arrived
I'm a 68 year old ill educated autodidact with an interest in biblical studies (no, I'm nothing like a Christian). At this critical point in time I have a particular interest in how political correctness is attempting to silence criticism of organised religion. More specifically why, given all the discussion on TV/on-line/ in the printed press, doesn't anyone address the evils contained within so called 'holy books'?
For instance why aren't we asking those claiming to be moderate and peaceful muslims to explain certain passages in the Koran? Instance :-
"O our Lord God! for the day of whose coming there is not a doubt, thou wilt surely gather mankind together. Verily, God will not fail the promise.
As for the infidels, their wealth, and their children, shall avail them nothing against God. They shall be fuel for the fire.
After the wont of the people of Pharaoh, and of those who went before them, they treated our signs as falsehoods. Therefore God laid hold of them in their sins; and God is severe in punishing!
Say to the infidels: ye shall be worsted , and to Hell shall ye be gathered together; and wretched the couch!"
Koran Sura 3: V;7-9.

The Old Testament of the Judeo Christian Bible also has many equally blood curdling passages which political correctness also tells us we may not criticise publicly.
Why, when freedom, democracy and human rights are put forward as reasons for intervening again in Iraq and Syria, are our tongues being tied in such debates?
[Image: img015_zpsfda3050d.jpg][/URL]
The Human Race is insane.
RE: Just arrived
Is all part of controlling you so that the powerful stay in charge. We need a revolution board
Hello! Welcome.

As to your topic, I have no opinion to contribute at this point but it is thought-provoking.

Enjoy your time here. Smile
"Yes, I am a Free Lover. I have an inalienable, constitutional and natural right to love whom I may, to love as long or as short a period as I can; to change that love every day if I please, and with that right neither you nor any law you can frame have any right to interfere. And I have the further right to demand a free and unrestricted exercise of that right, and it is your duty not only to accord it, but as a community, to see I am protected in it. I trust that I am fully understood, for I mean just that, and nothing else."
— Victoria Woodhull, “And the truth shall make you free,” a speech on the principles of social freedom, 1871
Hi there, welcome Smile

Yes it seems that religions have divine protection from anything that might prove they are not divine. I'm totally sick of it, and getting rid of all the ills religion is causing is way more important that hurting people's feelings based on stupid old meaningless traditions.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Welcome! Smile
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
Welcome OP. Fascinating content you bring up. Look forward to discussion on it Smile
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(September 12, 2014 at 9:04 am)Dissily Mordentroge Wrote: Why, when freedom, democracy and human rights are put forward as reasons for intervening again in Iraq and Syria, are our tongues being tied in such debates?

Because you might accidentally stumble upon the truth...

Welcome.

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
(September 12, 2014 at 10:03 am)ManMachine Wrote: Because you might accidentally stumble upon the truth...
The truth is seldom stumbled across accidentally. It's usually the result of generations of fucused effort and disciplined thought.
Those however who need the delusion of absolute certainty can simply accept the gibberish dished up in holy books as truth.
The Human Race is insane.
Quote:The Old Testament of the Judeo Christian Bible also has many equally blood curdling passages which political correctness also tells us we may not criticise publicly.

I criticize it constantly and don't give a flying fuck about political correctness. Maybe that's just me.

Fire away.

Welcome.
[Image: Doctor+Who+Gif+Dump+_d7b66b_5256258.gif]
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just arrived from The Thinking Atheist Gwaithmir 20 3082 October 1, 2018 at 9:12 am
Last Post: OakTree500
  Just arrived and barely alive Stormcat 15 3172 December 23, 2015 at 9:35 am
Last Post: brewer
  I Have Arrived Removed 11 2252 November 1, 2013 at 9:19 am
Last Post: Ben Davis
  I have arrived... Baalzebutt 22 3946 January 26, 2013 at 6:47 am
Last Post: jonb
  I just registered just now! Emma_Hates_Islam 46 11981 December 26, 2011 at 4:34 pm
Last Post: Happy UnBeliever
  Leftyatbest has arrived. leftyatbest 18 3030 October 17, 2011 at 8:16 am
Last Post: Zen Badger
  Delta 094204 has arrived Delta 094204 15 3534 May 7, 2010 at 10:33 pm
Last Post: fr0d0
  Unknown citizen has arrived Annabea 22 9134 May 16, 2009 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet