Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christian Nation?
Christian Nation?
America is not a Christian nation and was NOT founded in Christian principles whatever the hell that means. George Washington, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, James Monroe, John Quincy Adams, Andrew Jackson and Abraham Lincoln did not believe in Christianity. In fact, Jefferson, who practically wrote the whole Declaration of Independence by himself and Madison who did the same with the Constitution both despised Christianity along with other religions.

If the U.S. was founded on the Christian religion, the Constitution would clearly say so, but it does not. Nowhere does the Constitution say: "The United States is a Christian Nation", or anything even close to that. In fact, the words "Jesus Christ, Christianity, Bible, Creator, Divine, and God" are never mentioned in the Constitution; not even once.

The Declaration of Independence gives us important insight into the opinions of the Founding Fathers. Thomas Jefferson wrote that the power of the government is derived from the governed. Up until that time, it was claimed that kings ruled nations by the authority of God. The Declaration was a radical departure from the idea that the power to rule over other people comes from god. It was a letter from the Colonies to the English King, stating their intentions to seperate themselves. The Declaration is not a governing document. It mentions "Nature's God" and "Divine Providence"-- but as you will soon see, that's the language of Deism, not Christianity.

The 1796 Treaty with Tripoli states that the United States was "not in any sense founded on the Christian religion". This was not an idle statement meant to satisfy muslims-- they believed it and meant it. This treaty was written under the presidency of George Washington and signed under the presidency of John Adams.

"The divinity of Jesus is made a convenient cover for absurdity. Nowhere in the Gospels do we find a precept for Creeds, Confessions, Oaths, Doctrines, and whole cartloads of other foolish trumpery that we find in Christianity."
"This would be the best of all possible worlds, if there were no religion in it."
JOHN ADAMS

“I have recently been examining all the known superstitions of the world, and do not find in our particular superstition of Christianity* one redeeming feature. They are all alike, founded upon fables and mythologies.” Thomas Jefferson * /Some variations of this quote may have: [Christianity]

"As I understand the Christian religion, it was, and is, a revelation. But how has it happened that millions of fables, tales, legends, have been blended with both Jewish and Christian revelation that have made them the most bloody religion that ever existed?"
John Adams - letter to F.A. Van der Kamp, Dec. 27, 1816
RE: Christian Nation?
Um...we know all that.

It's the fundies you need to enlighten.
Yes, I know, I know, and I'm not even 'Merkin.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I'm from the place that treaty was signed (right? )
Faux News doesn't care about your silly facts! Who needs facts anyway? Tongue

Also, my (current as of this post date) signature is relevant to this thread.
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
What if it's written with invisible ink?
(October 2, 2014 at 8:18 pm)DramaQueen Wrote: What if it's written with invisible ink?

Haven't you seen National Treasure, with that actor from Left Behind?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

Omg. What a coincidence. Seriously I didn't even know there was a left behind movie (is Nicholas cage a Christian? )

And it's release date is ... shit
OMG (why am I using a word I swore not to use)
I love how many say the US is a Christian nation because many framers were Christian. By that logic, the country is only reserved for white males, too.
@L.A.F.2

Wait, so you're saying it isn't? I'm sure our slaveowning heroes had something to say about that...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 89470 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  What do Christians Mean by "Restoe our Nation?" Rhondazvous 86 9456 February 5, 2016 at 1:53 pm
Last Post: Drich
  "The United States is a Christian-founded nation" Boris Karloff 67 17365 October 3, 2014 at 12:15 pm
Last Post: radical97
  Yet more christian logic: christian sues for not being given a job she refuses to do. Esquilax 21 7439 July 20, 2014 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  Backwards nation Doubting_Thomas 72 23451 November 6, 2012 at 12:25 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Christian Nation chi pan 78 24504 November 1, 2012 at 2:47 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Fuck This "Xtian Nation" Shit! Minimalist 236 92355 October 23, 2012 at 1:15 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Relationships - Christian and non-Christian way Ciel_Rouge 6 6344 August 21, 2012 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: frankiej
  Proposed: The United States is NOT a christian nation. Gawdzilla 56 13927 April 27, 2011 at 11:55 pm
Last Post: FadingW