Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 5, 2024, 10:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
magical thinking
magical thinking
magical thinking
I just happened across this interesting term. Any thoughts on it?
Coming soon: Banner image-link to new anti-islam forum.
RE: magical thinking
mildly intersting. My thoughts.. while I wholeheartedly agree that thought alone can not effect the physical world. Thoughts can affect the perception of others "percievied world" and have in my experience.
Thoughts can effect he perception of others? What like... telepathy - according to you - ?

I guess our thoughts may effect our own perception (at least unconsciously) - in the sense that 'we' (our conscious mind) do not truly 'see' (or hear, touch, smell or taste) - what our brain doesn't let us. I believe?

EvF
lol no .. not thoughts by themselves it would still take an action of communication. For instance here's an excercise:

Finish reading this paragraph and close your eyes. Do a quick spin in your chair now. When your eyes are closed. Visualize as many red objects as you can in the room you're in, then open your eyes to verify.

Touch a red item feel it's texture. Bring it close to your eyes (till out of focus)and back 3 or 4 times. Now close your eyes and try again to identify as many as possible.

You will find yourself after this experiment noticing more red things than you would usually do, or llingering on stop signs. Your focus of will is your perception of your reality.
I think drive and perception are completely separate. For example, the person hiking across the antarctic snow caps and is short on supplies. His circumstances might reduce his goal to survival, but the will to live was still present before such circumstances forced him to meet those needs.
What you're talking about with noticing such things happens through significance. Such as after purchasing a car and noticing the same car you've purchased everywhere, termed perceptual accentuation and it means tuning in to specific stimulus which is in favour of supporting previous ideas, decisions, experience, also tuning out those stimuli which are not in agreement with such.
Ok so it already has a term called perceptual accentuation. My point was that it is manipulatable from outside influences directly.
You get out of something what you put in.
put or allow? Smile
Contribute or deny; you can't expect to gain where you refuse to contribute.
ok I'm lost now.. perhaps sleep will do me good lol

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A critical thinking challenge Foxaèr 18 4311 June 15, 2018 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Watching my cat, thinking about god and human nature Foxaèr 68 15545 July 19, 2017 at 12:13 am
Last Post: Astonished
  what believers accept without thinking Akat4891 17 6326 June 14, 2017 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Wishful Thinking a powerful (but negative) force? Edwardo Piet 12 3917 October 30, 2015 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Binary religious thinking robvalue 37 10143 October 25, 2015 at 4:48 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Critical thinking...or the lack thereof tonechaser77 27 8887 July 2, 2015 at 12:05 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Religion/god is just wishful thinking. frz 53 19749 April 21, 2013 at 3:25 pm
Last Post: Soyouz
  The supreme arrogance of religious thinking little_monkey 38 17360 October 17, 2010 at 4:01 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris