Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My perspective on Cosmogony
My perspective on Cosmogony
Below is my perspective on the origin and nature of our universe. Kindly comment and share your perspective as well.

There was a beginning to this known universe, like how a seed sprouts in the right environment.The new sprout begins its life towards a pre determined goal, to be possibly alive, to reproduce and to wither away and die.But its just the environment that contributes to how the sprout grows, how many leaves it will have, how tall it gets and so on.Yes it does have leaves, probably its flower is blue, thats the natural laws within the seed.Probably the existence of our universe could be summarized so, a seed originated from nothing , that being an intrinsic property of nothingness, and with the arrow of time,evolution in all its cosmic and biological glory worked out the details, like the leaves that grew from the sprout, nebulas, stars, comets, asteroids, galaxies , planets and all sort of life orginated .The seed represents those basic initial laws from which every other possible variation emerges(variations being weak , strong forces, gravity, electromagnetic forces etc), not a deliberate sentient
force.If there is a sentient force behind, its motive is not humans or any life, thats a plausible hypothesis.
Leaves will wither away, new seeds will be generated and our sprout will one day die, our universe will one day cease to exist, for a similar beginning and end to play out may be differently this time. Who knows such beginnings and endings happen all the time, may be there is a beginning happening right now somewhere in the multiverse.
Lets look at GOD as Rightful Action,Positive thinking, Living the moment, Compassion, Love, Nature, Family, Friends and all life around us. Such a GOD is not supernatural, but is as real as the feeling of being alive.
RE: My perspective on Cosmogony
I'd say this is more a metaphorical cosmoLOGY than a cosmogony. I think for cosmoGONY, you'd have to explain why there is a seed rather than a lack of one.

Normally, potential in the form of encoded information combines with an energy source in order to manifest as a thing. But a tree seed's DNA comes from somewhere, as does the energy which it uses to manifest that DNA into a physical structure.

You've said the seed originated from nothingness, THAT BEING AN INTRINSIC PROPERTY OF NOTHINGNESS. But why would you say that, and what does it even mean?
(November 6, 2014 at 1:44 am)bennyboy Wrote: I'd say this is more a metaphorical cosmoLOGY than a cosmogony. I think for cosmoGONY, you'd have to explain why there is a seed rather than a lack of one.

Normally, potential in the form of encoded information combines with an energy source in order to manifest as a thing. But a tree seed's DNA comes from somewhere, as does the energy which it uses to manifest that DNA into a physical structure.

You've said the seed originated from nothingness, THAT BEING AN INTRINSIC PROPERTY OF NOTHINGNESS. But why would you say that, and what does it even mean?

What I meant by intrinsic property is that by nature, an absolute nothingness leads to something to be created. Its something we yet don't understand about the nature of nothingness. I think Lawrence Krauss's theory of universe from nothing is what I am referring to.Probably it appears is a fact, why so is the mystery. The why part I tried to capture as "intrinsic" for now.
Lets look at GOD as Rightful Action,Positive thinking, Living the moment, Compassion, Love, Nature, Family, Friends and all life around us. Such a GOD is not supernatural, but is as real as the feeling of being alive.
(November 6, 2014 at 1:59 am)bearheart Wrote: What I meant by intrinsic property is that by nature, an absolute nothingness leads to something to be created.
I dunno. If your take on cosmogony is to root it in a brute fact, then your perspective is "It's here because it's here." But we already know that.

I don't accept that an absolute nothingness leads to something being created, because a philosophical quantity "X," or a metaphorical "seed," or whatever term you use for something coming out of nothing, is SOMETHING.

No matter what. . . you still have to explain where that potential comes from, or your theory of cosmogony is only a theory of cosmology.
OK, I don't really agree, with the overall theme of this. But thank you for your thoughts! I really like hearing other peoples ideas. I can tell you have thought about this.

Is yours a heart of a polar bear?Thinking
The entropy is strong with the thread starter, it is.
I really see no difference to this nothingness from the suggestion that an impersonal deity created the universe... because it's an intrinsic property of deity to create....
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
Nothing doesn't have properties, intrinsic or otherwise, because it's...nothing. If it has properties, it's something.
(November 6, 2014 at 1:40 pm)polar bear Wrote: OK, I don't really agree, with the overall theme of this. But thank you for your thoughts! I really like hearing other peoples ideas. I can tell you have thought about this.

Is yours a heart of a polar bear?Thinking

I guess it should be that of a sloth bearSmile

(November 6, 2014 at 2:42 pm)Pickup_shonuff Wrote: I really see no difference to this nothingness from the suggestion that an impersonal deity created the universe... because it's an intrinsic property of deity to create....

(November 6, 2014 at 5:18 pm)alpha male Wrote: Nothing doesn't have properties, intrinsic or otherwise, because it's...nothing. If it has properties, it's something.

You are right, I feel this (something from nothing)would be the one last argument to any debate on existence of god, for the theist this mystery would be the last straw to cling on to their faith.

Hope this is understood in my life time.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A different perspective Ahriman 222 8730 March 15, 2022 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: Ahriman
  why do we enjoy poetry From the perspective of neuroscience? zainab 257 14014 January 25, 2019 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Exploring orientation and playing with perspective. Arkilogue 2 696 October 1, 2016 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Arguments for God from a purely philosophical perspective Aegon 13 2885 January 24, 2016 at 2:44 am
Last Post: robvalue
  My perspective - truth or delusion? Mystic 22 11157 June 10, 2012 at 9:10 am
Last Post: genkaus
  Perspective and Belief Perhaps 20 9151 December 20, 2011 at 4:33 am
Last Post: Hoptoad