Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why the instinct to survive?
Why the instinct to survive?
I don't feel like sitting here all night to search through postings to see when this was last asked and I would like some fresh responses anyways... Why the instinct to survive?

Organic organisms spend an amazing amount of effort surviving, expending and collecting energy... Are human beings the only ones to ever stop and question why?

Why all the effort if all you are going to do is eat, sleep and shit anyways?

Why any effort at all, period.
RE: Why the instinct to survive?
(November 9, 2014 at 9:29 pm)LostDays Wrote: Are human beings the only ones to ever stop and question why?

Fight or flight is something all species share.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(November 9, 2014 at 9:29 pm)LostDays Wrote: Why all the effort if all you are going to do is eat, sleep and shit anyways?

Why? No reason. It's all pretty pointless.

But it's a process. We only do these things because it's in our genetics to care. Otherwise we'd have died out long ago.

So I suspect the answer lies in evolution.

Note how that while most of us realize that it's all pointless, we go on living our lives anyway.
Because things lacking that instinct never get around to asking that question?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
For eons and eons of evolution no organism experienced an existential decision. There was no 'purpose' there were just those traits which promoted survival and procreation and those which didn't. That was enough for evolution to work with, selecting for survivors without any input from the participants.
(November 9, 2014 at 9:39 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Because things lacking that instinct never get around to asking that question?

What's more, they never get around fucking their own species. Hence they're not reproducing.
(November 9, 2014 at 9:35 pm)PerfectRecall17 Wrote:
(November 9, 2014 at 9:29 pm)LostDays Wrote: Why all the effort if all you are going to do is eat, sleep and shit anyways?

Why? No reason. It's all pretty pointless.

But it's a process. We only do these things because it's in our genetics to care. Otherwise we'd have died out long ago.

So I suspect the answer lies in evolution.

Note how that while most of us realize that it's all pointless, we go on living our lives anyway.

But why... and why do human beings seem to be the only living organism that contemplates suicide?

Good for you, I am really glad you are able to walk through life and never question why... I would seriously love to not have to constantly ask that question... must be nice.

There are a lot of individuals out there who struggle with this very question. Look outside yourself for a moment?
(November 9, 2014 at 9:42 pm)LostDays Wrote: But why... and why do human beings seem to be the only living organism that contemplates suicide?

Good for you, I am really glad you are able to walk through life and never question why... I would seriously love to not have to constantly ask that question... must be nice.

There are a lot of individuals out there who struggle with this very question. Look outside yourself for a moment?

Hold on just a second. Are you saying in a very complicated way, you're contemplating suicide?
But WHY?! What is so fucking great about surviving anyways?! If you are human being who cultivates a good life for themselves then you would probably never ask the question... but what about those who don't? Or all other animals? I'm just gonna try really hard to survive, even though I don't know why...........

(November 9, 2014 at 9:44 pm)abaris Wrote:
(November 9, 2014 at 9:42 pm)LostDays Wrote: But why... and why do human beings seem to be the only living organism that contemplates suicide?

Hold on just a second. Are you saying in a very complicated way, you're contemplating suicide?

I work with individuals who have severe mental health issues. It's a question I am asked constantly.
Because not having a strong urge to survive leads to death, leaving the ones who do to spread their genes. That seems like a really stupid question. Why wouldn't we have an urge to survive? Hell just eating is one of the most enjoyable things I get out of life. I wish I could do it all the time without turning into a beach ball. I wish I could live purely off of sweets. Eating is awesome!
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Photo Does the mind survive death? Big Blue Sky 30 9529 June 29, 2013 at 8:21 am
Last Post: bennyboy