Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:55 pm

Poll: Marijuana - Good or Bad?
This poll is closed.
Good
56.25%
9 56.25%
Bad
12.50%
2 12.50%
Indifferent
31.25%
5 31.25%
Total 16 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marijuana - Good or Bad? Moved Topic!!
Marijuana - Good or Bad? Moved Topic!!
Topic started here: http://atheistforums.org/thread-29629.html - in case anyone wants to see what has already been said.

and....

begin.

(November 10, 2014 at 12:54 am)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:What are your views that makes you say marijuana laws are bad? Considering you have no opinion about marijuana itself?

Generally, the intro forums are not the place for deep discussions.

However, as a primer,

https://www.aclu.org/criminal-law-reform...law-reform

Quote:Arrests for possession of small amounts of marijuana constitute one of the most common drug-related points of entry into the criminal justice system, and are often directed primarily at people of color, despite strong evidence that whites use marijuana at higher rates. The Criminal Law Reform Project advocates for the decriminalization of personal possession of marijuana across the nation.

If you would like to start a thread on the subject I'll gladly join you there.

Ahh, ok.. I see now. So you are for marijuana decriminalization then or legalization?
RE: Marijuana - Good or Bad? Moved Topic!!
Oh yes... I like marijuana. Marijuana good. Marijuana god. Marijuana my love.

How it turns me into a human/ape, I'll never know.
Legalization.

It seems to be less dangerous than most of the prescription drugs which are advertised, ad nauseam, on tv.

The drug wars - which we have lost anyway - have served to incarcerate much of a generation in addition to watching the cops trample the bill of rights in their never-ending quest to crack down even more.
Legalize it don't criticize it!
Quote:In my experience, THC itself is not physically addictive like nicotine. I would like to quit smoking cigarettes, but I have an addiction.
Nicotine is very addictive, this is true, but alcohol and thc are also addictive and some people become addicted.
Quote:THC being a depressant doesn't mean it causes depression.
Depressants relax muscles, decrease cognitive function, motor skills, etc. As alcohol is also a depressant, they can be dangerous when combined with alcohol. Alcohol though is also a source of energy, whereas THC is not.
Quote:Alcohol or cigarettes are never prescribed really.
Cigarettes used to be prescribed before it was known just how addictive nicotine is.
Quote:As far as THC showing up in feces and/or urine. Well, water is a necessity to life, yet they both appear in feces and water.
Water is a solvent, the solvent is needed to pass the solutes in the urine; and the purpose of the kidneys is not to produce urine, but to maintain blood pressure, blood volume and electrolyte and nutrient balance. Thus if you have high blood pressure, more water needs to be removed to lower it in the urine. If you have low blood pressure indicating that you're dehydrated, more water will be retained.

THC is fat soluble (which is why so little of it gets absorbed in the lungs), and to my knowledge it is not metabolised by any cells or broken down by any enzymes present in the human body. What this means is that it circulates in your blood, freely enters fat cells since they're fat permeable, has trouble leaving fat cells (since it's water impermeable), and then ultimately has to be filtered by the kidneys into your urine for removal. This process is very slow competitively speaking, which is why thc both builds up in your fat cells over time (when marijuana is smoked regularly), and why it remains present in the blood in a testable amount for a very long time. Thus it can have prolonged negative effects on cognition and muscle control.

Alcohol, although not technically a carbohydrate is close enough to one that the rules of carbohydrates generally apply to it: it has to be metabolised by the liver, which both uses it for energy and to convert it to glucose so other cells can use the energy. It will not be filtered by the kidneys, just as they don't filter carbohydrates (sucrose, fructose, lactose, glucose, etc) unless of course you have a disease state (e.g. diabetes).
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
It should be legalized.

The same restrictions and punishments that apply to people who drink and drive should be applied to those who get stoned and drive.

There should be no smoking in public places.

Hopefully this will put an end to marijuana being so glamorized like a rebellious lifestyle choice.

I don't see why people do smoke it anyway surely it's easier, more economical and less intrusive into other peoples space if people just eat it?
When I was a teen weed smoker, I enjoyed weed way more when I ate it.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

How common is smoking weed in the west?
[Image: drugs.jpg]

What paulpablo wrote. I don't smoke marijuana for the same reason I don't smoke cigarettes. The fact that one is also mildly psychoactive doesn't make any difference. It should be legalized and treated just like alcohol and tobacco.
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Fact: Every time you eat a bite of cake, someone gets horsewhipped.

Facter: Every time two people kiss, an orphanage collapses.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Vote "yes" on Proposition 1321. Think of some kids. Some kids."
I voted "indifferent" because I don't care, I don't smoke weed but it's up to each person to decide what to do with their bodies. I wouldn't want anyone ranting on my cigarettes .

I think the argument that "Marijuana does less harm than other drugs" is completely irrelevant and shouldn't used, regardless of having positive or negative effects it's up to the individual to decide. Cigs do more harm than good and I continue to consume them, it's my choice, not anyone else's. It should be legal because people should be able to choose what to do with their bodies and to reduce criminality associated with drug trafficking and manufacturing, as well as to provide a more secure consumption of drug substances. And of course, people who want to quit should be given help.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

I voted good, meaning it should be legal.

The war on drugs is the new way we show racism in 'merica. More minorities, specifically black men, are incarcerated on drug charges than white people. Crack carries a far greater penalty than powder cocaine, take a guess who uses what?

My point is if we legalize marijuana, then we would reduce our prison population significantly over something that is not as harmful to society as alcohol.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's your area's bad ass bug(s)? Gawdzilla Sama 23 1740 November 4, 2018 at 8:51 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  The No Good, Bad Luck Thread Bob Kelso 4 371 September 12, 2018 at 12:16 pm
Last Post: brewer
  A bad day for the neighbors ... and a mystery to solve ignoramus 6 474 July 6, 2018 at 3:47 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Who moved or stayed? Cod 58 3958 February 14, 2018 at 7:02 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  How long can a Subway sandwich last in the refrigerator before it goes bad? Cthulhu Awakening 11 6485 December 24, 2017 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Very Off Topic, but is being a virgin a turnoff for the ladies? NuclearEnergy 34 3818 November 13, 2017 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Good person/bad person Catholic_Lady 82 10690 October 23, 2017 at 9:18 am
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  Don't you hate it when..... Regardless of topic..... Brian37 12 1756 October 20, 2017 at 10:00 am
Last Post: Brian37
  You are not allowed to reply to this topic. vorlon13 37 6410 September 18, 2017 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: Joods
  You are allowed to reply to this topic. Chad32 9 1259 September 16, 2017 at 11:57 pm
Last Post: Jackalope