Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:21 pm

Poll: Marijuana - Good or Bad?
This poll is closed.
Good
55.56%
5 55.56%
Bad
11.11%
1 11.11%
Indifferent
33.33%
3 33.33%
Total 9 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New guy!
New guy!
Hello everyone!

I made an account awhile back but never followed through by actually participating. So, now... I'm participating Big Grin

My name is Brad, I'm 30 and I hail from Washington, NC. Considering my eastern North Carolina locale, I'm a minority in my atheistic beliefs so there aren't many people to talk to in terms of deep (or interesting) conversations about life and science. I'm very much into logic and practicality.

I believed in the Judeo-Christian God until becoming agnostic around 18ish which led to atheism around 26ish. I believe the vast majority of all religions can be held accountable for racism, hate, bigotry, intolerance and general irresponsibility.

Having said that, there are 3 belief systems that I think bring more good than bad: Buddhism, Hinduism, and Rastafarian. It's because of these 3 that I cannot truly call myself Anti-Theist...which for awhile I considered myself to be. However, I discovered that many of the beliefs and philosophies that I favor and somewhat live by are very similar to those of Rastafarian and Buddhism. As with science, I'm always pushing and testing my beliefs to grow as a better person.

Some hobbies:

I'm a musician: guitar, bass, a lil drums, and even less keyboard/piano. Currently trying to get the ball rolling on recording original material...right now as a 1 man band kinda situation.
I like to go kayaking along the east coast here picking up driftwood and pieces of old pottery, arrowheads, etc.
I also enjoy fishing and oyster tonging.
Anything outdoors - active or inactive - is groovy.
I really like documentaries on just about all science: Astronomy, physics, biology, psychological, philosophical, etc.
I also enjoy conspiracy theories, but retain my skepticism and analytical side.
If I left off anything that anyone would like to know, I'm an open book kinda dude. I look forward to some interesting conversations!

Til then, thanks for reading this far.
RE: New guy!
Welcome Smile
Welcome
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Marijuana itself I have no opinion about.

Marijuana laws are definitely bad, though.

Greetings.
(November 9, 2014 at 6:11 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Marijuana itself I have no opinion about.

Greetings.

Given the right company and the right music, it can be pretty cool.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Welcome aboard!
Welcome to the Forum and what on Earth is 'oyster tonging'?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Welcome
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Thanks for the welcome everyone!

(November 9, 2014 at 6:11 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Marijuana itself I have no opinion about.

Greetings.

What are your views that makes you say marijuana laws are bad? Considering you have no opinion about marijuana itself?

(November 9, 2014 at 6:13 pm)abaris Wrote: Given the right company and the right music, it can be pretty cool.

That's what it's all about Smile

(November 9, 2014 at 6:46 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Welcome to the Forum and what on Earth is 'oyster tonging'?

Boru

Well, its the method we use to catch our oysters. We take the boat out to the local bays early in the morning when there's hardly any wind. Go up to the shore in shallow waters (2 - 5 ft), stand on the front of the boat with long tongs, spot the oysters, reach down in the water with the tongs, pull em out and toss em in the bucket. We only do it during the colder months after the first good frost.

There are different types of tongs, but the ones my grandfather and I use are designed for oysters picked up where they cannot be dredged. So they pick up 1 - 3 at a time. He makes his own, so they don't look much like the ones you'd see in a google search.
Welcome

Marijuana is mostly bad. It may have some medical benefit, but it certainly has no place in society. If you sit next to someone who smokes a joint, you will begin to get high from their second-hand smoke. Breathing in particulates is not good for you long-term, no matter what they are. Cannabis contains most (but maybe not all) of the carcinogens found in tobacco leaves. THC is said to be somewhat less addictive than nicotine, however thc is a depressant whereas nicotine is a stimulus.

Medicinally speaking, smoking it is a very ineffective way of administering the dosage. Only 10-25% of thc entering the lungs is transfused into the bloodstream, thus making it highly imprecise and inaccurate when trying to administer the correct therapeutic dosage. I strongly feel that if it is to be used medicinally it needs a mechanism to ensure the patient gets the correct therapeutic dosage - e.g. drink it in tea or take it as a pill. The idea that people can patients can give themselves the right therapeutic dosage by smoking it is pure nonsense, and makes a mockery of everything pharmacotherapy is supposed to be.

The purpose of THC in the plant is to invoke indigestion when consumed by animals, this is clear because if ingested, THC will appear both in human faeces and human urine.

On the other hand take alcohol - it is a source of energy. All alcohol ingested will enter the blood stream, none will pass through to the faeces, and all will be used for energy by the body, and none will be diffused from the blood into the urine (just as glucose and proteins are typically never found in the urine). The fact that THC can be found in urine suggests that the body considers it either toxic or a waste product.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New guy here Roykok 8 1100 November 10, 2022 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  New guy DarkerEnergy 21 2168 January 18, 2017 at 12:45 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Hello, new guy here Casca 13 2121 October 14, 2016 at 6:21 pm
Last Post: brewer
  A new guy SuperSlayer 17 1941 July 2, 2016 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: Spirian
  New Guy Here. Hello. The Atheist 27 3159 March 30, 2016 at 4:50 pm
  New Guy on the Block Rebel 9 1736 October 16, 2015 at 10:01 pm
  New guy Muad·Dib 39 6764 July 19, 2015 at 6:19 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Hello! New guy on the block here~~~ Preston Tsunami 11 1636 April 30, 2015 at 6:06 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  New Guy Here! GuardianAtheist 19 2400 April 22, 2015 at 12:01 pm
Last Post: ajarnfalang
  New Guy Vox Populi 25 3718 February 26, 2015 at 6:15 pm
Last Post: Vox Populi