Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 10:10 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for religion-free charities
Looking for religion-free charities
Does anybody know a site that lists charities that will not promote religion?

I googled "atheist charities" but these are groups promoting atheism. I just want to know that my donation will go to needy people and never promote a religion. I have read that many of the charities share resources and subcontract.
RE: Looking for religion-free charities
I give to doctors w/o borders
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(December 5, 2014 at 7:13 pm)watchamadoodle Wrote: Does anybody know a site that lists charities that will not promote religion?

I googled "atheist charities" but these are groups promoting atheism. I just want to know that my donation will go to needy people and never promote a religion. I have read that many of the charities share resources and subcontract.

Depends on what you want to support. There are quite a lot of international NGOs not affiliated with any religion. I think you should rather look up your cause and then making a choice between the organisation supporting it.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
http://www.charitynavigator.org/ is a site that has looked interesting to me, but I'm not sure they have exactly what you need. As for me, I know exactly the kind of charities I like. That is, cystic fibrosis and public radio. So I just donate to things that speak to me. Not even the CF foundation, but individual cases. And with public radio, I have favorite local stations (in my media market and others).
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
I googled secular charities.
Oxfam.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Thanks, everybody. Smile The "secular charities" link above has a good list. I can use one of the charity ranking sites to find the one I like best.

I used to give to International Orthodox Christian Charities. When I read the financial reports they mailed, I was surprised that some of their funds were coming from a United Nations charity? It made me wonder if some of the people donating to the UN charity would have been unhappy to see some of their money going to a Christian charity. I may not have understood the financial reports, but that is how it seemed. I'm sure the charities try to cooperate to avoid duplication of efforts.
Depends on what you're trying to support. Humanitarian causes, MSF, Amensty, Oxfam, save the children, Bernardo's. Environmental you could give to Greenpeace but I'm not a fan of them. There are also loads of animal charities such as Dian Fossey's gorilla fund or (if in the UK) RSPCA.

General rule of thumb for me is never to give to a religious charity. Too much ambiguity on many of them (not all) between their charitable activities and proselytization.

Internationally I always give to MSF, nationally/locally I give to a local secular children's hospice.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4240 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Looking for comments / ideas for WIP project ABCs of Atheism Judashpeters 18 4555 April 9, 2018 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: Judashpeters
  Atheism Looking Good! TrueChristian 52 7405 February 15, 2016 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: God of Mr. Hanky
  christian looking to understand athiests msid 212 34576 August 21, 2015 at 10:38 am
Last Post: Mr Greene
  JW looking clarity followup Won2blv 108 11336 April 27, 2015 at 12:43 am
Last Post: Aractus
  JW looking for clarity Won2blv 44 7155 April 19, 2015 at 8:08 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Tentatively Christian; looking for a reasonable discussion GriffinHunter 216 31024 March 26, 2015 at 6:03 am
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  atheist looking for advice jackriot100 56 9563 February 15, 2015 at 5:02 am
Last Post: emilynghiem
  'Coming out' Atheism documentary is looking for interviewee's GrayTitan 0 961 September 10, 2014 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: GrayTitan
  Is no Religion a Religion. Artur Axmann 76 16567 June 14, 2014 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: Muslim Atheism