Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 19, 2024, 7:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Richard Dawkins
Dawkins
"Faith is the great cop-out, the great excuse to evade the need to think and evaluate evidence. Faith is belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence." -- Richard Dawkins
RE: Dawkins
I have hundreds of quotes by Dawkins, perhaps thousands by others ... I like this forum Smile

"We should take astrology seriously. No, I don't mean we should believe in it. I am talking about fighting it seriously instead of humouring it as a piece of harmless fun. There's this thing called being so open-minded your brains drop out." Richard Dawkins

Kyu
Great quote!
astrology= a random set of general things that could apply to anyone.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

"What is it with cheese? American friends have suggested to me a connection with the notoriously liberal state of Wisconsin -- home of the FFRF (Freedom from Religion Foundation) and centre of the dairy industry -- but surely there must be more to it than that? And how about those French 'cheese-eating surrender-monkeys'? What is the semiotic iconography of cheese?" -- Richard Dawkins on hate mail
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Lol Tongue that's from TGD isn't it? Big Grin
Evf
My favorite Dawkins quote is in my signature.
I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. -Richard Dawkins Thinking
[Image: 9jeh6q.png]
[Image: 16kvqqp.png]
I do like that quote, and it's true as well.
"Religious people split into three main groups when faced with science. I shall label them the "know-nothings", the "know-alls", and the "no-contests"

"There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

These are quite good quotes I think.
I always wonder what Dawkins means by no-contests? What is it believers who don't want a contest? Or believers who think there is no-contest and they are obviously right, but in that case how are they different to the know-alls? Could someone clear that up for me - what does the "no-contests" part mean?

Is it like "There's No-Contest....we're obviously right!"

Or is it like they don't want a contest - they don't wanna argue about it...or.....

..other?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Richard Dawkins & Nightwish iameatingjam 3 1734 February 5, 2018 at 10:05 am
Last Post: shadow
  New Nightwish Album on Darwin, with Dawkins as narrator Alex K 12 2928 April 5, 2015 at 11:16 am
Last Post: DiRNiS
  Christian Love Letters to Richard Dawkins Creed of Heresy 14 2253 February 11, 2015 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: polar bear
Video 'Love letters' to Richard Dawkins Cyberman 28 4295 January 22, 2015 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Dawkins reads hate mail on youtube. Brian37 6 2331 November 3, 2013 at 11:36 am
Last Post: Owlix
  Richard Dawkins - Science, It Works, Bitches!! (video) Woody68 2 1402 April 8, 2013 at 2:01 pm
Last Post: DeistPaladin
  Dawkins: Sex, Death And The Meaning Of Life Justtristo 4 2232 January 26, 2013 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: Nine
  Dawkins and Degrasse Tyson - Poetry of Science thesummerqueen 2 1732 November 6, 2012 at 1:16 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Dawkins apparently PWND Napoléon 6 2741 May 9, 2012 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Napoléon
  Richard Dawkins: I can't be sure God does not exist Forsaken 91 34956 April 15, 2012 at 9:58 pm
Last Post: Zen Badger