Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I need a lttle help with a few questions please
I need a lttle help with a few questions please
“Hi I am taking Willmington School of the Bible which is a part of Liberty University. I was hoping you might be able to help me with a homework assignment I have for my course. The assignment requires that I interview 4 people regarding their worldview. Any feedback or help would be greatly appreciated.
The questions are:
<snip>
Thinking
RE: I need a lttle help with a few questions please
(January 19, 2015 at 10:07 pm)Guesto123 Wrote: “Hi I am taking Willmington School of the Bible which is a part of Liberty University. I was hoping you might be able to help me with a homework assignment I have for my course. The assignment requires that I interview 4 people regarding their worldview. Any feedback or help would be greatly appreciated.

I take it we are supposed to provide the atheist view? I warn you we are probably not representative because we think enough about religion at all to be on this forum.

I'll take your questions though. Don't expect my answers to represent atheists in general. We aren't a club or organization:

1. How do you describe the origin of the human race and the world?

The best guess is that the universe began with the big bang. The human race is the product of evolution. How the life out of which we evolved began is a harder question, but I'm sure it was a natural process.

That isn't a very precise answer. But I'm very comfortable with "we don't know." God did it is a rather vague and not very useful answer.

2. Who are “we” as the human race? Are we an accident? Do we have intrinsic value?

We are a species of ape. We are the product of evolution and while I wouldn't call us an accident, we are not the result of a plan, or a predictable process. We have value to ourselves, but no intrinsic value. Frankly, nothing has intrinsic value in the sense that the question implies.

3. What is the meaning and purpose of life?

You have to find your own.

4. Where does the idea of right and wrong come from?

Evolution.

5. What do you think happens to people after they die? Do you believe in heaven and hell? Who decides or how does one get to heaven versus hell?

What happens to a snowflake when it melts or a flame that goes out? Our bodies break down and become other things. Our minds (or souls if you must) don't continue anywhere. Do you remember before you were born? Of course not. And after you die will be the same. Oblivion doesn't hurt because it isn't.

1. What is your opinion of Christians in general?

There's no such thing as Christians in general. Some of you are things too foul to name. Some of you are very good people. All of you are not thinking rationally when it comes to god.

2. If a Christian were to sit down and talk with you about their faith, what would it take to convince you that it was worth looking into or accepting?

Evidence of the existence of god and evidence that the god you worship is that god. No "I feel it" is not evidence.

Oh dear. Must the questions in my response be edited out too?
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
1. How do you describe the origin of the human race and the world?

The origin of the planet we call Earth was a result of The Big Bang. We, the human species, were the result of evolution.

2. Who are “we” as the human race? Are we an accident? Do we have intrinsic value?

We are simply what we are, another organism on the planet. We are not special just because we have higher reasoning capabilities or because we decide to be egocentric about our existence.

3. What is the meaning and purpose of life?

To live and let live, pure and simple. Anything beyond that is purely subjective.

4. Where does the idea of right and wrong come from?

It comes from each individual's perception and understanding of the world around him. Morality is subjective.

5. What do you think happens to people after they die? Do you believe in heaven and hell? Who decides or how does one get to heaven versus hell?

There is nothing after death. Heaven and Hell are mere fictional creations.

1. What is your opinion of Christians in general?

Christians are willfully ignorant of reality, unhealthily delusional.

2. If a Christian were to sit down and talk with you about their faith, what would it take to convince you that it was worth looking into or accepting?

Nothing, because faith is worthless and useless.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Oh dear. Must the questions in my response be edited out too?
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(January 19, 2015 at 10:27 pm)Jenny A Wrote: Oh dear. Must the questions in my response be edited out too?

The guy probably already left for good. Doubt it will matter.
(January 19, 2015 at 10:27 pm)Jenny A Wrote: Oh dear. Must the questions in my response be edited out too?

You know what, I really can't be arsed. Don't worry about it.
THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Always with the same questions from Liberty... Smile
They are almost a running gag of the atheist internet by now...

I think you would learn even more if you'd stick around a bit and participate in discussions...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(January 19, 2015 at 10:32 pm)Guesto123 Wrote: THANK YOU SO MUCH!

As others have said, if you REALLY want to learn about atheists, and this particular band's way of thinking, hang out here for a while. While some of us are quite scary, with sharp pointy teeth with a taste for theistic vittles, many are as sweet as the morning dew on a summer's day. Like me. Honest. Devil

Then, you might actually learn something useful. Be aware, at Liberty, you are in a self-reinforcing bubble of group think. Not exactly the path to learning.

May the FSM bless and guide you in your journeys! FSM Grin
(January 19, 2015 at 10:07 pm)Guesto123 Wrote: “Hi I am taking Willmington School of the Bible which is a part of Liberty University. I was hoping you might be able to help me with a homework assignment I have for my course. The assignment requires that I interview 4 people regarding their worldview. Any feedback or help would be greatly appreciated.
The questions are:
<snip>
Thinking

Sorry you only got two replies before you ran afoul of the forum's policy against surveys (we get a lot of people with assignments similar to yours).

I don't like to see you leave empty-handed, so you might want to try to find previous threads where similar matters have been discussed.

Each of your questions would be a valid thread-starter, in my opinion.

I wouldn't advise you ordinarily, but I see 11 posts, so since you've been respectful enough not to just post once and disappear, I wanted to return that respect with a serious reply. If you still need interviews for your assignment, you can PM me (one of the buttons below this post).
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fear of hell, advice please orthodox-man 120 24447 March 10, 2018 at 10:08 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Just a bit of advice please MattyVigilante 17 2532 March 1, 2018 at 4:09 am
Last Post: SaStrike
Question Absolute Truth (I know, but I need some help) Spacetime 60 13268 October 3, 2015 at 4:29 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  AF friends, an opinion on Bible debate, please drfuzzy 25 5394 October 1, 2015 at 10:50 am
Last Post: houseofcantor
  Please correct me where I am wrong Won2blv 35 6787 May 21, 2015 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Atheists only vote please: Do absolute MORAL truths exist? Is Rape ALWAYS "wrong"? Tsun Tsu 326 65007 February 25, 2015 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Need some help DIRTY_DEEDS_93 32 5118 December 30, 2014 at 11:10 pm
Last Post: LivingNumbers6.626
Exclamation Can someone explain this to me..? please... dyresand 3 1443 November 5, 2014 at 10:32 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Help, I need someone to talk to onebluethinker 36 7637 September 14, 2014 at 10:37 am
Last Post: TheGamingAtheist
  Atheists Only Please: Serious Question About Love naimless 50 11338 September 10, 2014 at 7:32 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4