Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there a particular term for this? I feel we need one.
Is there a particular term for this? I feel we need one.
Yknow when someone is blatantly sugarcoating what they are saying, or making bullshit up to crowd please, so that they do not offend a religious person or group? It usually (but not exclusively) happens when people are discussing Islam and I think it comes from fear about how the Muslims are going to react.

Is there an official word or term to describe this? I think it would be useful to have one.
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

RE: Is there a particular term for this? I feel we need one.
I think that's called political correctness.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(January 25, 2015 at 8:43 pm)NuclearJaguar Wrote: Yknow when someone is blatantly sugarcoating what they are saying, or making bullshit up to crowd please, so that they do not offend a religious person or group? It usually (but not exclusively) happens when people are discussing Islam and I think it comes from fear about how the Muslims are going to react.

Is there an official word or term to describe this? I think it would be useful to have one.

"Religion".

or "Faith".
Dying to live, living to die.
(January 25, 2015 at 8:43 pm)Blackout Wrote: I think that's called political correctness.

I guess so, but it seems like a particular kind all of it's own :/ Idk, maybe political correctness does just cover it.
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

Tact?

tact
[takt]
noun

a keen sense of what to say or do to avoid giving offense; skill in dealing with difficult or delicate situations.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Generally, I call it 'Jesus poo' or something of that sort, because it's holy shit.
Gone
Cowardice? Thinking

Dishonesty?

Chicken-shit, mealy-mouthed pandering?
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
Softpeddling.
Cheerful Charlie

If I saw a man beating a tied up dog, I couldn't prove it was wrong, but I'd know it was wrong.
- Attributed to Mark Twain
The term to be used for such behavior varies based on scenario.

1) In presence of and surrounded by religious nu...I mean wisemen
- Smartness

2) In absence of religious nuts
- Douche
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Islamofuckery?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do you feel about all these creationists? suddenlymark 32 3329 August 15, 2023 at 8:01 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Why does there need to be a God? Brian37 41 7037 July 20, 2019 at 6:37 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
Question Does anyone else feel disgusted by religious words? Der/die AtheistIn 63 11576 January 17, 2018 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: Martian Mermaid
  How do you call someone who is religious only because it makes them feel happy? Der/die AtheistIn 38 7434 November 25, 2017 at 12:31 am
Last Post: c172
  How Do Christians Feel About the Testimony of Muslims and Vice Versa? Rhondazvous 24 4543 September 22, 2017 at 9:34 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  If there are no gods, doesn't making one's self a god make one a theist? Foxaèr 13 3623 May 26, 2017 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  I don't exactly feel the same way I once did. Ryantology 18 2722 January 26, 2017 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  I sorta feel like I didn't live up to my Dad's expecatations NuclearEnergy 22 2288 January 2, 2017 at 10:55 pm
Last Post: Aoi Magi
  Should I feel guilty? mlmooney89 11 2103 June 24, 2016 at 12:39 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Do you feel as if religion creates sexual suppression GoHalos1993 31 3747 June 14, 2016 at 11:15 am
Last Post: John V