Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theists, What Do You Get Out of Religion?
Theists, What Do You Get Out of Religion?
The title of the thread is the question I would like answered but with one slight caveat. Could theists not respond with anything about the afterlife? I want to know what theists get out of having faith right now. If I need to explain the question further, I will.
RE: Theists, What Do You Get Out of Religion?
This should be interesting. Frankly, given the absence of evidence for god, it's the only reason anyone might have faith that I can think of.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
The question seems a bit oddly phrased. When I was religious I never saw it as getting something out of it, even though there was a very clear reward to be had (no punishment, JWs believe that you cease to exist upon death). We were taught that you served god because he is god and deserves your worship, and to do so for the reward was selfish. Serving god ostensibly came with its own set of rewards, since we believed that follow god's laws would lead to a better and happier life (and if it didn't, there were explanations for that, too). But that was all just gravy, you did it because you were supposed to.

It's strange to look at it from the other side. Without the main presupposition (god exists) it all seems so crazy now.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Theists want to feel spechul, and an imaginary friend provides them with that.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I was hoping that someone religious would respond.

Sionnach, is probably correct. Believing that some higher power wants an individual's ultimate good is probably reassuring to a lot of theists.

Maybe some of the theists don't know what they get out of religion so are uncertain how to answer the question?
The classical god of Western theism grounds meaning (the sign/signified relationship), purpose (final cause), and identity (formal cause) in a theory of reason applied to common experience. I have yet to see a convincing way to deal with meaning within the framework of ontological naturalism. The idea that anyone can “create his or her own meaning and purpose” is a hollow approach unless the problems of meaning, purpose and identity are adequately addressed.
Here is the deal Nope, I really don't consider myself to be religious at all.
No list of do's, no connection to hocus pocus found in some circles.

So I will make you a deal.
You agree that evolution and naturalism is a religion (which to myself and many other observers see it is in reality),
and I will respond to your question. Kind verses kind.
(February 3, 2015 at 12:04 pm)professor Wrote: no connection to hocus pocus

Prof, you're a real standup comedian.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(February 3, 2015 at 12:04 pm)professor Wrote: Here is the deal Nope, I really don't consider myself to be religious at all.

You agree that evolution and naturalism is a religion (which to myself and many other observers see it is in reality),

First explain what evolution has to do with the question that I asked. Hint...it has nothing to do with it, at all.

So, what do you get out of having faith beyond assurances that you will go to heaven? Why does this question deserve a dodge?
(February 3, 2015 at 12:04 pm)professor Wrote: Here is the deal Nope, I really don't consider myself to be religious at all.

Funny, Nope didn't ask any theists to assent to something they don't actually believe, he just asked a fairly simple question. I see you're maintaining your usual level of intellectual honesty.

Don't worry, I'm not a theist anymore so I'll answer the question honestly for you. I remember what a handicap it was to give a straight answer to a simple question when I was a Pentecostal, but I'm much better now.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Theists: how do you account for psychopaths? robvalue 288 39984 March 5, 2021 at 6:37 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Theists: What do you mean when you say that God is 'perfect'? Angrboda 103 17042 March 5, 2021 at 6:35 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  What would you do if you found out God existed Catholic_Lady 545 78713 March 5, 2021 at 3:28 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Ways to Get Into Heaven! Or Whatever You Believe in! Jade-Green Stone 14 2549 January 24, 2019 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: deanabiepepler
  How you know religion has done its job in brainwashing you: Foxaèr 19 2754 August 9, 2018 at 12:47 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Theists, please describe how you experience your god I_am_not_mafia 161 16736 June 15, 2018 at 9:37 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Theists, Who would You Rather Have as a Neighbor Rhondazvous 23 7773 November 10, 2017 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  What would you do if you found out that I was God? Aegon 16 2569 October 8, 2017 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  What would you do if you found out that God has nothing to do with religions? Little Rik 68 11631 October 8, 2017 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: energizer bunny
  What would you do if you found out Dog existed? Gawdzilla Sama 16 3334 October 7, 2017 at 6:30 pm
Last Post: ignoramus