Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religiosity, Spirituality and the Moral
Religiosity, Spirituality and the Moral
Hey guys,

Just curious to get your opinions on the emergent domain of 'secular spiritualism' vs. classic religious orthodoxy and how they relate to moral reasoning? It has frequently been posited that morality may only be deduced from a doctrine (or word of God) and that without so would leave humanity in a moral stupor. It would be interesting to hear some opinions on such topics as it relates to my thesis. Have also left my thesis link down the end if anyone has any interest in participating.

Thanks.

<SNIP>
RE: Religiosity, Spirituality and the Moral
Hello there, welcome Smile

I have no idea what spiritualism is, it seems like an empty word to me. Science rejects the supernatural from inquiry as unknowable. I'm not sure what that has to do with morality either. But secular morality is superior in every way to any kind of religious morality, there's not even any question about that as far as I'm concerned.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Gavin, just a heads- up on the rules. No posting of links for 30 days and 30 posts. Spam prevention and all.

Expect to have a mod fix your post for you.

As for spiritualism, what the hell is that? Sounds like leprechaunism or unicornism to me.
Ah thanks for the notice JesusHChrist, very green to the whole online forum policy. Was trying to find like minded fellows interested in my area of research.

Spirituality (practically a neologism in modern times), I believe, while certainly still tainted with ambiguity in many circles has less to do with any supernaturally deduced doctrine of belief, but more to do with an awareness of everyday internal subjectivity. It is a lift off from Eastern philosophy (Hara Krishna, Tibetan Budhism etc.) and promotes things like meditation (a practice i fervently endorse) the sanctity of life and 'the present'.

As for morality, I am reluctant to posit my position for ethical reasons, however my original thesis proposal suggests that while it is inherently difficult to carve out universal truths within the moral topography, organised monotheism does not retain a monopoly as is so frequently thought among the religious (particularly related to social in-group tendencies).
*Looks in here, eyes get really open O.O*
(February 16, 2015 at 12:47 pm)Gavin Duffy Wrote: Hey guys,

Just curious to get your opinions on the emergent domain of 'secular spiritualism'

Hogwash.

Quote: vs. classic religious orthodoxy

Other hogwash.

Quote: and how they relate to moral reasoning?

Gods don't have anything to do with morality. Nor does spiritualism. Morality is real, and those other things aren't.

Quote: It has frequently been posited that morality may only be deduced from a doctrine (or word of God) and that without so would leave humanity in a moral stupor.

That claim cannot be defended.
(February 16, 2015 at 1:15 pm)Gavin Duffy Wrote: Spirituality (practically a neologism in modern times), I believe, while certainly still tainted with ambiguity in many circles has less to do with any supernaturally deduced doctrine of belief, but more to do with an awareness of everyday internal subjectivity. It is a lift off from Eastern philosophy (Hara Krishna, Tibetan Budhism etc.) and promotes things like meditation (a practice i fervently endorse) the sanctity of life and 'the present'.
I still don't get. "Awareness of everyday interal subjectivity" isn't really a working definition for me. My awareness that my thoughts are my own and might not represent reality, just like everyone else, doesn't convince me to do mediation or considers the present important. This awareness doesn't lead me to any other conclusions than we can be wrong about a lot of things.

Quote:As for morality, I am reluctant to posit my position for ethical reasons, however my original thesis proposal suggests that while it is inherently difficult to carve out universal truths within the moral topography, organised monotheism does not retain a monopoly as is so frequently thought among the religious (particularly related to social in-group tendencies).

My morality comes primarly from empathy. Empathy is the driving force that makes me act. My understanding that actions have consequences guides my empathy on what actions I should take to result the best possible outcome.
(February 16, 2015 at 12:47 pm)Gavin Duffy Wrote: It has frequently been posited that morality may only be deduced from a doctrine (or word of God) and that without so would leave humanity in a moral stupor.

Well if that's the case, we're screwed because it should be obvious that even if there is such a doctrine, religious types can't agree on what it is. That's why there are hundreds of different religions and those are fractured into hundreds of sects each.

In the end, religious types filter the vague and contradictory doctrine of their religions through their own moral lens. It all comes from self-conviction and entropy.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
Right. It's a ridiculous myth that morality comes from religion. It doesn't even make sense to say that.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Religious people are more moral? When people argue this... oh my goodness

[Image: tumblr_mymn64rfbU1svi3flo1_500.gif]
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How Can We Have Moral Direction If God Controls Everything? Rhondazvous 87 7717 August 22, 2021 at 10:23 am
Last Post: brewer
  Why is religion in the business of moral policing? NuclearEnergy 85 16643 August 13, 2017 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Do theists need a threat to be moral? brewer 33 3920 June 14, 2016 at 1:43 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Atheists Have the Most Logical Reason for being Moral Rhondazvous 24 7318 January 22, 2016 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Reforged
  A Hindu Perspective: Science vs. Spirituality Krishna Jaganath 70 9579 November 17, 2015 at 11:19 am
Last Post: dyresand
  What is Spirituality? drfuzzy 14 4147 September 14, 2015 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  My supporting POV on selfishness motivating human moral values smax 60 13411 July 15, 2015 at 5:29 am
Last Post: smax
  Moral absolutism debates. Ugh. RobbyPants 16 2907 April 15, 2015 at 9:18 am
Last Post: DeistPaladin
  Moral Truth The Reality Salesman01 12 3384 February 21, 2015 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: goodwithoutgod
  Moral superiority: Seculars vs Religious Creed of Heresy 27 7529 February 16, 2015 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Zenith