Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 3:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The CMB and the 'Axis of Evil' - evidence of God?
The CMB and the 'Axis of Evil' - evidence of God?
Quote:Summary: The belief, held by faith by many cosmologists, that God did not create the universe suggests, as codified in their Copernican and Cosmological principles, claims that the Earth is not in a special place. If however, the most expansive scientific observations ever made demonstrate that the universe has, in effect, a north and a south pole, aligned in an uncanny way with the Earth's orbit around the sun, then that would suggest that when God created the heavens and the Earth, that He put the Earth in a special place. Thus, atheistic cosmologists have coined the term Axis of Evil because in their upside down worldview, anything is evil if it is evidence against the big bang and for the God of the Bible.

http://kgov.com/the-axis-of-evil-and-anisotropy

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn23...-evil.html
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
RE: The CMB and the 'Axis of Evil' - evidence of God?
Quote:because in their upside down worldview, anything is evil if it is evidence against the big bang and for the God of the Bible.

Jeez they really don't comprehend sarcasm. The physicists make a self-conscious joke about their own preconceptions, and these dolts see a war against God.

But seriously, who understands the foreground subtraction and other background contamination well enough to exclude that they have influence on the apparent alignment of these very low multipoles (corresponding to the largest features in the CMB). It could be whatever.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Quote:The belief, held by faith by many cosmologists, that God did not create the universe suggests, as codified in their Copernican and Cosmological principles, claims that the Earth is not in a special place. If however, the most expansive scientific observations ever made demonstrate that the universe has, in effect, a north and a south pole, aligned in an uncanny way with the Earth's orbit around the sun, then that would suggest that when God created the heavens and the Earth, that He put the Earth in a special place.

I wish I was special,
So fucking special...

...but I'm a creep.
(March 5, 2015 at 4:53 pm)rasetsu Wrote:

It's confirmed then, Stephen Hawking is god.

MM

(March 5, 2015 at 5:54 pm)Norman Humann Wrote:
Quote:The belief, held by faith by many cosmologists, that God did not create the universe suggests, as codified in their Copernican and Cosmological principles, claims that the Earth is not in a special place. If however, the most expansive scientific observations ever made demonstrate that the universe has, in effect, a north and a south pole, aligned in an uncanny way with the Earth's orbit around the sun, then that would suggest that when God created the heavens and the Earth, that He put the Earth in a special place.

I wish I was special,
So fucking special...

...but I'm a creep.

You're a weirdo.

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
Hawking is overrated, and hence by extension, god.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

Look, I don't understand any of that, so let's say this salt shaker is the big bang and evolution, and this pepper pot is God.

See?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Compass needles seem in most places on earth to align in the horizontal direction with the only star in the sky that never seem to move. Therefore earth is special, and of course God.
(March 6, 2015 at 3:40 am)robvalue Wrote: Look, I don't understand any of that,

It's not rocket science, rob! (literally... it really isn't, no rockets involved)

But let me lecturify:in order to mathematically describe the distribution and structure of the small temperature fluctuations we see in the cosmic microwave background

[Image: 090513cmb.jpeg]

in a systematic and useful way, people rewrite it as a sum of so-called spherical harmonic functions which you may know as orbitals from the hydrogen atom (same maths, different physics). They are labelled by (among others) a number l. For larger and larger l, the functions describe smaller and smaller features:

[Image: harmonics.jpg]

The l=0 function is the "monopole" - it simply describes the constant average temperature of the CMB.
The l=1 functions are called "dipole" which describe the simplest deviation from constant you can have, where it is hotter on one side and cooler on the other,
the l=2 are called quadrupole which describe yet smaller features, the l=3 are called octopole and so on.

If you include functions of larger and larger l, you can describe the CMB picture above to arbitrary high accuracy.

You notice that there can be three independent dipole functions (m=-1 not shown here) which differ in the direction in which the fluctuation points. There are even more quadru and octopole functions which again more or less correspond to different orientations of the fluctuations in space.

When one says that, say, the quadrupole of the CMB looks like it is aligned with the solar system, that simply means that the l=2 spherical function we need to best describe the CMB is the one whose features seem aligned with the axis of the solar system.

That's astonishing because in standard cosmology there is no known mechanism how and why the fluctuations in the CMB, which stem from very far away regions on the edge of the observable universe, should have anything to do with the orientation of the little gas cloud that formed our solar system. Ergo, God.
On the other hand, these so-called "low dipoles" correspond to the largest features in the sky, the most prominent being the milky way itself. If some leftovers of the milky way radiation, which they try to painstakingly remove, creep into the final CMB picture, this can nudge the orientation of these dipole functions in a direction which looks aligned with the milky way, for example.

Yeah, but I've recently become an expert in "Single Harmonics", since you started talking about it, and that's all clearly wrong. Because god did it. Oh wait, you said god did it already?

[I could probably learn to understand that stuff eventually :p Maybe. It's been a while since my degree.]
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(March 6, 2015 at 4:35 am)robvalue Wrote: Yeah, but I've recently become an expert in "Single Harmonics", since you started talking about it,

An important trick I learned in uni is hearing it for the first time and from thereon acting as if you'd known it all along.

Quote: and that's all clearly wrong. Because god did it. Oh wait, you said god did it already?

Yes, God (m=0) and Jesus (m=1), and the holy ghost (m=-1). The divine dipole. Give me money.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How Do They fit the CMB Into those Little Ovens? Rhondazvous 16 2396 April 26, 2019 at 7:32 am
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Evidence for ET? Jehanne 83 6894 November 25, 2018 at 9:38 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Are Photons the Particle Associatid with the CMB? Rhondazvous 5 1161 September 9, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Earliest evidence of life on Earth 'found' Minimalist 6 1756 March 1, 2017 at 11:30 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  New evidence points toward Ninth Planet in the solar system Heat 57 10127 January 24, 2016 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Evidence of plate tectonics on Europa Anomalocaris 1 778 September 9, 2014 at 6:04 pm
Last Post: StealthySkeptic
  Evidence of how our Moon formed... found? Welsh cake 16 5133 July 6, 2014 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: A Theist
  Evidence of cosmic inflation expands understanding of universe’s origins tor 3 1478 March 22, 2014 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: Zen Badger
  Breaking News: Evidence for gravitational waves in the CMB! Alex K 8 3049 March 19, 2014 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
  More evidence for WIMPs theVOID 0 1071 May 4, 2011 at 8:38 pm
Last Post: theVOID