Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mandatory voting
Mandatory voting
So Obama has floated the idea of mandatory voting in the US in order to offset the influence of big money. At first glance I think it sounds like a good idea, but would require changes at the polls on the state level in order to accommodate the additional voters. I don’t think people should be required to vote for a candidate though so a none option on the ballots would be necessary.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
RE: Mandatory voting
I've never bought into the idea that it is our civic duty to vote. If one is voting just to say they've voted, that's as bad or worse than not voting. Voting is for people that actually have an opinion on what is being voted upon.

I am against mandatory voting.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
I'm against mandatory voting - In my opinion it is the duty of a concerned citizen to vote at least as a blank vote if you're against the system, however I don't think coercion is the answer - I do think abstention is troublesome specially in Europe, but mandatory voting is not the answer. Brazil is an example of mandatory voting. One of the main arguments, in my opinion, against mandatory voting is that ignorant people who aren't concerned with the system will inevitably vote poorly and sometimes extremist parties gain votes
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

(March 19, 2015 at 12:22 pm)Dystopia Wrote: I'm against mandatory voting - In my opinion it is the duty of a concerned citizen to vote at least as a blank vote if you're against the system, however I don't think coercion is the answer - I do think abstention is troublesome specially in Europe, but mandatory voting is not the answer. Brazil is an example of mandatory voting. One of the main arguments, in my opinion, against mandatory voting is that ignorant people who aren't concerned with the system will inevitably vote poorly and sometimes extremist parties gain votes

If it is the duty of a concerned citizen to vote then why shouldn't it be mandatory?

I've already said the ballots should have a none option, but I'll take that a step further. If the nones end up with a majority of the vote then why not disqualify the current candidates and have another election?
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
I'm not even so crazy about voting.
You'd expect the quality of the average decision made by the voting population to be average.
Or worse if the vote is bought by the venal and greedy (read that as 'the successful') in society.
Democracy sucks, it is just better than any of the other systems commonly available.

Havelock Vetinari for Tyrant!!
So how, exactly, does God know that She's NOT a brain in a vat? Huh
Obama should feed this idea to a porcupine and then shove it up his ass sideways.

Money has already done its damage by the time we go to the polls. The last thing we need is for apathetic disinterested ill-informed people who don't really give a shit to vote. The only thing that will change is how the money is spent to peddle influence.

Political ads are bad enough as it is. Can you imagine the shit that would be foisted on us if the intent was to attract the viewers that keep the Kardashians and Tori Spelling on TV? There's a Brawndo "it's got electrolytes" joke in here somewhere.

The cost would be substantial and enforcement would be ridiculous. I have to imagine fines would be assessed for not voting. Would we throw people in jail if they refused to pay the fine?
(March 19, 2015 at 12:57 pm)popeyespappy Wrote: If it is the duty of a concerned citizen to vote then why shouldn't it be mandatory?

Because an open society shouldn't enforce a right. If someone is stupid or lazy enough to shoot that right down the crapper, it's their business and theirs alone.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
We don't need mandatory voting. We need Election Day to be a national holiday where nobody goes to work. So that people who cannot afford to miss a day of work can still vote. Everyone has the day off. Like Christmas Day. If you choose to have your business open on Voting Day, you must pay people their normal wage when they go to vote.

We need to make voting easier in this day and age. Electronic voting is too risky with espionage and cyber security risks, but making voting booths more accessible and numerous to cut down on wait and travel times.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Call me old fashioned, only property owners should get to vote.

PanicPanicPanicPanicPanicPanicPanic
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Yeah, because poor people don't need a voice. Dodgy
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2024 GOP hopeful Vivek Ramaswamy proposes raising voting age to 25 LinuxGal 11 1017 August 20, 2023 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Compulsory Voting BrianSoddingBoru4 132 9985 December 28, 2022 at 11:23 am
Last Post: Fireball
  What you think of USA voting system? Woah0 10 934 August 17, 2022 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Attack on voting Spongebob 103 6695 August 18, 2021 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  The electors are voting right now. Gawdzilla Sama 18 1119 December 15, 2020 at 1:12 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Help me out here. Barrett and voting case. Brian37 31 3560 October 30, 2020 at 11:47 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Mail in voting/ and election day. Brian37 6 796 October 25, 2020 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Protest Voting BrianSoddingBoru4 42 1716 October 17, 2020 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: Draconic Aiur
  The new voting block onlinebiker 2 337 February 19, 2020 at 8:11 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Voting living in no man's land. Brian37 4 612 November 5, 2019 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: Aegon