Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 11:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What am I atheist or what but not theist?
What am I atheist or what but not theist?
I beleive 99.99% that there is no God. but i beleive 00.001% in God that God exists only due to punishment after life.
I am free from all religions mean i don,t follow any religion that,s why i am free from all boundreis of all religions.
If some one asks me "Do you beleive in God", my answer is "I don,t know" because i do not have any clear and proper evidence of existance of God but i also don,t have any proper and clear evidence which proves there is no God. In this situation after a lot of researching i left religion and now i feel my self free from all religions because i think religions are harmfull for humans.
You guys tell me in this situation what can i call myself atheist or theist or naturalist or what?
RE: What am I atheist or what but not theist?
What do you want to call yourself?
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
I don,t know what i am in this situation?
Sounds like you're an anti-theist with a healthy perspective of human ignorance.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
Those are just labels. Pick the one you identify with most.

I believe this might come in handy to you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectrum_of...ormulation

From what you say you could be anywhere between 4 and 6:

4: Completely impartial. Exactly 50 per cent. "God's existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable."
5: Leaning towards atheism. Lower than 50 per cent but not very low. "I do not know whether God exists but I'm inclined to be skeptical."
6: De facto atheist. Very low probability, but short of zero. "I don't know for certain but I think God is very improbable, and I live my life on the assumption that he is not there."
Hello, welcome Smile

I would say you are an agnostic atheist. If someone asks you if you believe in god, the only answers are yes or no. If you are convinced there is a god, then you are a theist. If you're not, and it sounds definitely like you are not convinced, then you are an atheist. This doesn't mean you are saying you believe there isn't a god, or are claiming to know there is no god. An agnostic atheist makes no claims of belief or knowledge, just that they reject the claim that there is a god. Agnostic means "I don't know", this addresses the separate question of what you know rather than what you believe. Atheism only addresses belief. Only if you say you are a gnostic atheist are you saying you know there is no god.

Maybe my website can help you, I go into some detail about this, please click below:

Atheist/Theist
Agnostic/Gnostic

But really it's up to you what you are comfortable with. By the commonly used definitions in the atheist community, you are clearly an atheist.

Please ask if anything is unclear!

Regarding that link to the Dawkins scale, I don't quite agree with what they are saying. For number 4, you are no longer convinced there is a god, so you are an atheist. 4 upwards is atheist as far as I'm concerned, not "leaning towards" atheist. This is not a criticism of you at all Norman! Just I don't think it matches up with the widely used language. This is my opinion anyhow Smile For example, if I'm about to flip a coin and I ask if you believe it will come up heads, you wouldn't say yes. You'd say you are not convinced it will come up heads.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Once you take into account past present and future you can use "agnostic" and "atheist" at the same time.

If CURRENTLY your switch is "off" on all past and present claims so far, you are an atheist. You can be unsure about what might come about in the future the "agnostic" in "agnostic atheist".

I am pretty strong as far as the future being "off" as well, although "semantically" and "technically" I don't know.
(March 29, 2015 at 7:35 am)myrobot Wrote: I beleive 99.99% that there is no God. but i beleive 00.001% in God that God exists only due to punishment after life.
I am free from all religions mean i don,t follow any religion that,s why i am free from all boundreis of all religions.
If some one asks me "Do you beleive in God", my answer is "I don,t know" because i do not have any clear and proper evidence of existance of God but i also don,t have any proper and clear evidence which proves there is no God. In this situation after a lot of researching i left religion and now i feel my self free from all religions because i think religions are harmfull for humans.
You guys tell me in this situation what can i call myself atheist or theist or naturalist or what?

According to your first sentence you believe in a god, right? So if you believe in some type of god your answer to the question "Do you believe in god" cannot be "I don't know". Maybe Im reading it wrong.
It's not important. If you insist on a label, call yourself a free-thinker. It's hard to argue with that one.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
'Atheist' is not a permanent label. Obviously, if a god showed up and started doing undeniable stuff, you would not need to be an atheist anymore because you would have actual proof for a deity.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The fascinating asymmetry of theist-atheist discussion Astreja 5 453 July 22, 2023 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  I'm no longer an anti-theist Duty 27 2004 September 16, 2022 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  I received a letter from a theist, need a good reply Radamand 22 2030 March 22, 2022 at 10:56 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Bullshit "I'm an atheist but atheism is evil" article in the Grauniad boils my blood GUBU 13 1990 March 30, 2021 at 6:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  "Why is it reasonable to believe in prisons, but not in the hell?" FlatAssembler 124 7962 February 19, 2021 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why do theist often drop the letter s when referring to atheists? I_am_not_mafia 56 11918 August 23, 2018 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
Tongue Disproving Odin - An Experiment in arguing with a theist with Theist logic Cecelia 983 150755 June 6, 2018 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Raven Orlock
  Why was Newton a theist? Alexmahone 65 12785 March 24, 2018 at 12:39 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Why America is anti-theist. Goosebump 3 1116 March 1, 2018 at 9:06 am
Last Post: mlmooney89
  Hug a Theist vulcanlogician 31 5587 December 23, 2017 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: Cyberman