Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 2:51 pm

Poll: Did you believe in Santa Claus?
This poll is closed.
Yes, I was convinced he existed
41.18%
14 41.18%
Yes, but I didn't think too much about it
23.53%
8 23.53%
I don't remember
5.88%
2 5.88%
No, but I didn't pay much attention to it
5.88%
2 5.88%
No, I always knew it was all lies
8.82%
3 8.82%
It's Father Christmas, heretic!! Die!!
0%
0 0%
Other
14.71%
5 14.71%
Total 34 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did you believe in Santa?
Did you believe in Santa?
Well, did you?

And how did you find out the truth? And how did it make you feel?

I'm asking because I guess I never really did, but my parents didn't go to any length to convince me
They did make me write a letter to Santa when I was little, but I knew it was only to find out what I wanted for Christmas

Please don't tell me I'm the only one with a santaless childhood, I'll be a sad panda
RE: Did you believe in Santa?
(April 26, 2015 at 12:14 pm)Neimenovic Wrote: Well, did you?

I'm asking because I guess I never really did, but my parents didn't go to any length to convince me
They did make me write a letter to Santa when I was little, but I knew it was only to find out what I wanted for Christmas

Please don't tell me I'm the only one with a santaless childhood, I'll be a sad panda

I believed in Santa for a while.
I think I was incentivised by the presents to turn a blind eye to the inconsistencies.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

My biological father was a mall santa. But yet, he didn't believe in bringing me up with that myth.

I don't want kids, but if I did, I reckon I'd do the Santa thing, at least until it got awkward for me as a parent, just to keep up with the Joneses.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
I totally bought it. My older sister expedited my disbelief by being a huge jerk.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
I still do!

My parents didn't try to push Santa. He was kinda problematic in our family traditions anyway since we open presents Christmas Eve and Santa's supposed to be arriving then.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
I really can't remember Sad
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I believed but when I was around 9 I told my stepdad I didn't believe there was a Santa. He told me I was correct and that not believing was a sign of becoming adult. He made me feel very respected.
One Christmas my parents were wrapping presents in the bedroom on the beds. I kept trying to get in to see, so they hid all the presents in the closet, they let me in, and told me Santa had taken all the presents back. I cried and cried.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(April 26, 2015 at 12:14 pm)Neimenovic Wrote: Well, did you?

I think I was about 7/8 when I finally found out Santa wasn't real.

Strange thing is, my mom and dad went to great lengths to make me believe it. They'd put out cookies and milk on Xmas eve for the fat prick, even a carrot for Rudolph (because fuck all his other reindeer). When I'd wake up, "oh shit!", half the carrot is left and the cookies/milk are gone. I even believed so much that, I specifically remember one day when I was in school, the teacher (for reasons I still can't fathom to this day) made the class do some kind of embarrassing poll where we'd have to say whether we thought Santa was real or not. Turns out about 20 other kids didn't believe but I did, and one other person.

So yeah, I believed he was real.

But I was a fucking kid who blindly trusted his parents.

Then one day my mom told me he wasn't real. "You lied to me my whole life?" was my response, at that age. I wasn't fucking happy. I was embarrassed that I believed something so stupid.

I guess that made me look differently at the world in some ways. It taught me not to just blindly accept what people say. I think I was a lot more skeptical from that point on. The funny thing is, my mom spent way more time convincing me Santa was real than Jesus. Yet nowadays whenever I take the piss out of Jesus she gets offended. Slightly odd.

I imagine most grown-ups who believe in Jesus have the same thing going on. Except it's just a more elaborate lie and it's never revealed to them how stupid it is.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do you believe in that hasnt been proven to exist? goombah111 197 24013 March 5, 2021 at 6:47 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Why you all need others, to believe? LastPoet 24 3828 December 26, 2019 at 10:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Santa Claus Interaktive 2 700 December 26, 2019 at 8:22 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Ways to Get Into Heaven! Or Whatever You Believe in! Jade-Green Stone 14 2547 January 24, 2019 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: deanabiepepler
  Google's Santa Tracker Fake Messiah 15 2424 December 25, 2017 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  I guess you never thought about it, did you? Little Rik 68 16338 September 24, 2017 at 3:06 pm
Last Post: JackRussell
  Look i don't really care if you believe or don't believe Ronia 20 7905 August 25, 2017 at 4:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  People assuming you believe in a God Der/die AtheistIn 35 10224 July 19, 2017 at 10:24 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Did you know the movies God's Not Dead 1 and 2 did well at Box Office? Renug 12 4470 May 30, 2017 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Theist Posters: Why do you believe your God exists? SuperSentient 65 14467 March 15, 2017 at 7:56 am
Last Post: Cyberman