Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theists afraid of change
Theists afraid of change
Why are they always so afraid of change and in direct opposition of change taking place in a societal manner?  

The answer is simple.

It has to do with the fact that their religious beliefs are derived from a primitively written piece of who knows what that never changes.  

It is bullshit that society cannot change because of primitive ideals.  It is downright retarded and ignorant that the ancient mind that relied upon faith must dictate our lives.

Fortunately, reason eventually wins.  However, should it always be such a struggle for reason to win over dumb religious nonsense?
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Theists afraid of change
More pragmatically, of course, every social change that happens takes us further away from the religious hegemony that they used to enjoy. They're afraid of change because every change for the last few centuries at least have stripped away a little more of their power or claim to the facts.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
It shouldn't be a struggle for reason to overcome superstition, but unfortunately in most places around the world, it is.

Our morality has slowly evolved over time in the U.S. It still is a country riddled with christians, but there have been some changes for the better in this country, even though the bible is still the number one book for our fellow Americans to cling to. People used to use the bible as a defense for slavery, but people eventually saw past that. People used the bible to marginalize women. They didn't want them to vote or have the same rights, but finally people realized that was bullshit too, and moved god's rule to the side for what was right. We are in the middle of a new huge movement, the christians current favorite hate topic besides Islam, hating gays. We are now seeing gay people get equal rights before our eyes. We are still in the middle of this one, and it will take a 100+ years for christians to shut up about it, but they eventually will. The gay marriage will be a topic like slavery, and they will just skip over that part of the bible in the distant future as well and find some other thing to judge and hate people for.

There has been some progress at least, but there is plenty of room for improvement. Reason will prevail someday, but the middle east will still be fucked with Islam for a long, long time.
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' -Isaac Asimov-
It's a good point. Since the religious texts cannot easily change, all they can do is abandon more and more of it as "metaphor" until the whole thing is one big poem. They want as much of it to be true as possible, so the more progress that is made and the more knoweldge gained, the harder it is to believe in any of its nonsense.

Anti-intellectualism/education is particularly sad. We saw it at its height with that mental destruction of all those books recently.

Religion is scared of reality.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(April 26, 2015 at 11:30 pm)Kitan Wrote: Why are they always so afraid of change and in direct opposition of change taking place in a societal manner?  

The answer is simple.

It has to do with the fact that their religious beliefs are derived from a primitively written piece of who knows what that never changes.  

It is bullshit that society cannot change because of primitive ideals.  It is downright retarded and ignorant that the ancient mind that relied upon faith must dictate our lives.

Fortunately, reason eventually wins.  However, should it always be such a struggle for reason to win over dumb religious nonsense?

I wish you stop looking only at what is in front of your nose and you start looking around with a 360 degree outlook.
Not all theists rely on old books.
Most of religious people do because their belief is all about theory.
On the contrary yoga doesn't as yoga is 99,9% practice so old  books have very little impact on anyone who practice yoga. 
So please instead saying THEISTS say.......most of religious people.
It would be nice if you can correct your mistake.  Thanks  
(April 26, 2015 at 11:30 pm)Kitan Wrote: Fortunately, reason eventually wins.  However, should it always be such a struggle for reason to win over dumb religious nonsense?

Indeed, reason always wins. When people truly reflect on what it means to be human they set aside their contrarian atheist stances. The pendulum swings both ways from licentiousness to temperance. Right now the libertines have sway, but eventually they'll walk the sawdust highway.
(April 27, 2015 at 8:56 am)ChadWooters Wrote:
(April 26, 2015 at 11:30 pm)Kitan Wrote: Fortunately, reason eventually wins.  However, should it always be such a struggle for reason to win over dumb religious nonsense?

Indeed, reason always wins. When people truly reflect on what it means to be human they set aside their contrarian atheist stances. The pendulum swings both ways from licentiousness to temperance. Right now the libertines have sway, but eventually they'll walk the sawdust highway.

I love how you've completely abandoned any pretense of having a cogent position and are reduced to straight up passive aggressive preaching. It shows just how anemic and dependent on condescending to others your position has always been.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(April 27, 2015 at 9:55 am)Esquilax Wrote:
(April 27, 2015 at 8:56 am)ChadWooters Wrote: Indeed, reason always wins. When people truly reflect on what it means to be human they set aside their contrarian atheist stances. The pendulum swings both ways from licentiousness to temperance. Right now the libertines have sway, but eventually they'll walk the sawdust highway.

I love how you've completely abandoned any pretense of having a cogent position and are reduced to straight up passive aggressive preaching. It shows just how anemic and dependent on condescending to others your position has always been.

Oh, it was always there hidden in plain sight, his shabby New-Scholastic pretensions notwithstanding.
If you have this book that is the Divinely Inspired Word of the One True God, and the punishment for not obeying is Eternal Hellfire, then it justifies anythign and everything done to ensure an oppressive theocracy. Any deviation is of the devil, and of the world. It's a perversion that needs to be stamped out.

Nevermind that the bible and societies have changed over time. We've outlawed slavery, despite the bible being ok with it. As long as you're one of god's chosen people. Rape is considered one of the worst things imaginable, despite rapists in the bible getting a slap on the wrist and a new bride, unless the girl was already betrothed or married. Nevermind going to a godless village, killing everything but the virgin girls, and bringing them home as bounty. Can you imagine soldiers coming from Iraq, toting young girls over their shoulders.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I wouldn't be so condescending if it weren't for the constant hand-wave dismissals of a long, internally consistent, and compelling philosophical tradition. Modern arguments against Neo-Scholasticism are mostly based on either 1) misunderstandings about the premises or 2) an unwillingness to accept the truths uncovered because doing so would require repentance or 3) objections that cannot be reconciled with necessary truths.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How often do your beliefs change? Ahriman 37 2922 January 23, 2022 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: paulpablo
  Is a sea change on the horizon? Angrboda 5 593 July 22, 2018 at 6:59 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Are religious people really afraid of death? Alexmahone 36 4963 July 3, 2018 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Why are believers still afraid of death? Der/die AtheistIn 49 4586 March 8, 2018 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Why are some moderate religious afraid of atheism? Der/die AtheistIn 38 5246 February 26, 2018 at 8:45 am
Last Post: Cod
  Can prayer change God's perfect plan? MellisaClarke 217 63263 May 23, 2017 at 8:33 am
Last Post: SteveII
  "I refuse to change my mind" Socrates 41 6131 March 2, 2017 at 4:39 am
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  If I could change one thing about religion... robvalue 26 6376 January 9, 2016 at 5:47 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Questions for theists (and ex-theists, too) Longhorn 15 4889 April 23, 2015 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: orangebox21
  This is Nice to See for a Change FatAndFaithless 41 6307 February 20, 2015 at 4:54 pm
Last Post: RobbyPants