Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Messenger's Mercury trip ends with a bang, and silence
Nasa's Messenger mission to Mercury has reached its explosive conclusion, after 10 years in space and four in orbit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-32542646

I do like the term "Lithobreaking" sounds much nicer than "Smashing into the surface at mach 12" Wink
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

RE: Messenger's Mercury trip ends with a bang, and silence
It didn't crash, it just dipped into the lithosphere.
It become part of the accretion of mercury.
Humanity has changed the momentum of a planet. When we look up in 3 billion years and see that Mercury's a few inches from where it should be, we can think to ourselves: "Damn. We did that. Awesome."
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
(April 30, 2015 at 5:16 pm)TRJF Wrote: Humanity has changed the momentum of a planet.  When we look up in 3 billion years and see that Mercury's a few inches from where it should be, we can think to ourselves: "Damn. We did that. Awesome."

We'll all be dead by then.  I was going to say, "trust me on this," but I will give you a link instead:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/...e-science/

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
Hate to be a party pooper, but Mercury's orbit may not be really stable over the next 2 or 3 billion years, so, the few inches might get subsumed in the orbital hijinks.

Or maybe not . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(April 30, 2015 at 5:24 pm)Pyrrho Wrote:
(April 30, 2015 at 5:16 pm)TRJF Wrote: Humanity has changed the momentum of a planet.  When we look up in 3 billion years and see that Mercury's a few inches from where it should be, we can think to ourselves: "Damn. We did that. Awesome."

We'll all be dead by then.  I was going to say, "trust me on this," but I will give you a link instead:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/...e-science/

Bah! Typical liiberal fear-mongering.
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.

OMG does that mean that now all horoscopes are wrong?
(April 30, 2015 at 6:03 pm)Alex K Wrote:

OMG does that mean that now all horoscopes are wrong?

Don't worry, they are just as accurate as they ever were.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did the Big Bang happen? JairCrawford 50 3729 May 18, 2022 at 1:07 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  Just When I Thought I Understood the Big Bang Rhondazvous 19 2533 January 23, 2018 at 7:09 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  Big Bang and QM bennyboy 1 617 September 10, 2017 at 4:17 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Teaching the Big bang theory to Preschoolers GeorgiasTelescope 5 1600 June 24, 2017 at 6:22 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  I wrote the first book to teach the Big Bang theory to Preschoolers! GeorgiasTelescope 0 656 June 12, 2017 at 10:17 pm
Last Post: GeorgiasTelescope
  The Science of the Big Bang RiddledWithFear 13 2303 December 7, 2016 at 10:47 am
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
Smile "Science of the Big Bang" Rough Draft and Secondary Draft RiddledWithFear 4 1658 December 6, 2016 at 7:26 pm
Last Post: RiddledWithFear
  Is there a "Science of the Big Bang" thread on Here? RiddledWithFear 30 4290 December 6, 2016 at 6:21 am
Last Post: Alex K
  What to say when somebody asks about the big bang zak 111 10675 November 15, 2016 at 9:16 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Big Bounce vs Big Bang Czechlervitz30 50 6739 July 20, 2016 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: Alex K