Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's Dying Out!
It's Dying Out!
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govb...pol&wpmm=1

Quote:The decline in Protestantism is just one of the changes to which Jones is alluding. Seniors are three times more likely than young Americans to claim a religious affiliation, for example. And white Christians are the minority in 19 states—a trend that will likely continue as more and more states slowly become majority minority.

Here's a link to the American Values Atlas.
http://publicreligion.org/research/2015/...VD-F5OJITs

I was surprised .  Arizona has 25% unaffiliated.  Maybe there is some hope for this sand box?
RE: It's Dying Out!
Don't get your hopes up. "Unaffiliated" does not mean "atheist."

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
That doesn't matter.  People can believe whatever the fuck they like.

What matters are when these xtian shits use their churches as political platforms to put their barbaric superstitions into our laws.  Watching their power wither is the only thing that matters.

If someone wants to believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster that's fine.  They are unlikely to insist that I put parmigiano on corn flakes.
That's always nice to see. I may be one of those white catholics on the list, when I should be part of the unaffiliated graph. There may be millions more of unaffiliateds unaccounted for in this country.
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' -Isaac Asimov-
It's good to know this country is going back to its roots as a secular society. Now if we can just get money out of politics, and return the country to a representative republic, America may be able to reassert itsself as the greatest country ever.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I can't help but wonder where 'woo' rates in the demographics. I'm active on some scientifical boards and I'm getting pretty tired of all the whack a doodles that are turning up these days.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(May 11, 2015 at 3:20 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: Don't get your hopes up.  "Unaffiliated" does not mean "atheist."

It's not the belief in a god that is the problem, it is adherence to dogmas that is the problem. 

I don't remember reading too many news stories about 'religiously unaffiliated' Planned Parenthood bombers, the 'religiously unaffiliated' flying planes into building, or chopping the heads off of those that aren't 'religiously unaffiliated'. 

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(May 11, 2015 at 3:28 pm)Minimalist Wrote: That doesn't matter.  People can believe whatever the fuck they like.

What matters are when these xtian shits use their churches as political platforms to put their barbaric superstitions into our laws.  Watching their power wither is the only thing that matters.

If someone wants to believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster that's fine.  They are unlikely to insist that I put parmigiano on corn flakes.

Take a look at:

The Future of World Religions: Population Growth Projections, 2010-2050
Why Muslims Are Rising Fastest and the Unaffiliated Are Shrinking as a Share of the World’s Population

Why people with no religion are projected to decline as a share of the world’s population

Also, the vast majority of "religiously unaffiliated" do not identify as atheist or even as agnostic:

"However, a new survey by the Pew Research Center’s Forum on Religion & Public Life, conducted jointly with the PBS television program Religion & Ethics NewsWeekly, finds that many of the country’s 46 million unaffiliated adults are religious or spiritual in some way. Two-thirds of them say they believe in God (68%). More than half say they often feel a deep connection with nature and the earth (58%), while more than a third classify themselves as “spiritual” but not “religious” (37%), and one-in-five (21%) say they pray every day. In addition, most religiously unaffiliated Americans think that churches and other religious institutions benefit society by strengthening community bonds and aiding the poor."

http://www.pewforum.org/2012/10/09/nones-on-the-rise/

You should know better than to be optimistic.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
(May 11, 2015 at 5:04 pm)Simon Moon Wrote:
(May 11, 2015 at 3:20 pm)Pyrrho Wrote: Don't get your hopes up.  "Unaffiliated" does not mean "atheist."

It's not the belief in a god that is the problem, it is adherence to dogmas that is the problem. 

I don't remember reading too many news stories about 'religiously unaffiliated' Planned Parenthood bombers, the 'religiously unaffiliated' flying planes into building, or chopping the heads off of those that aren't 'religiously unaffiliated'. 

I've said it myself that as long as people are willing to explore other belief systems and question their own I have no problem with them choosing to remain Christian, Muslim, atheist or whatever they want to be - As long as they don't hold the mentality that their view is the only truthful one (and yes, I've met people of different faiths that are open minded so I think it is both possible and desirable for a healthy society).

Religious unafilliated does not mean atheist and that's a misconception that leads people to believe Sweden is 90% atheist - I think deism will come back into fashion in a few years, many people still need some kind of belief and I don't entirely censor them.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Quote:This is largely attributable to the fact that religious “nones” are, on average, older and have fewer children than people who are affiliated with a religion.

Also ignores the fact that the muslim barbarians are killing themselves at a much faster rate than the nones and live in some of the worst areas to be hammered by climate change.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  God and Death, dying out. WinterHold 13 2243 May 14, 2018 at 9:27 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  "I can't see the wishom behind babies dying from cancer" is argument from ignorance ReptilianPeon 16 4140 December 7, 2015 at 1:06 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Despite baby dying after getting herpes, Orthodox rabbis say they’ll defy law. CapnAwesome 22 9236 September 24, 2012 at 11:18 am
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
Question Is religion Dying? Mitja 41 13627 February 3, 2012 at 8:42 pm
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Have some fun dying... Rokcet Scientist 4 1638 February 1, 2012 at 11:56 pm
Last Post: Minimalist