Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seems Like The Books Of Holy Horseshit
Seems Like The Books Of Holy Horseshit
take it up the ass, again.

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20150526-...ths-oceans

Quote:The water in Earth's oceans fell in frozen lumps from space, during a violent period in our planet's early history.
RE: Seems Like The Books Of Holy Horseshit
I read about that a little while ago. Blew me away.
It still boggles the mind!

I'm starting to think that we could very well be the only sentient life in the whole universe!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(May 21, 2015 at 3:31 am)ignoramus Wrote: I read about that a little while ago. Blew me away.
It still boggles the mind!

I'm starting to think that we could very well be the only sentient life in the whole universe!

Why?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

The shit this planet went through just to get the variables in the right place at the right time boggle "my small mind" anyway!
And then the cooking starts ....let simmer for a billion years, etc
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(May 21, 2015 at 4:14 am)ignoramus Wrote: The shit this planet went through just to get the variables in the right place at the right time boggle "my small mind" anyway!
And then the cooking starts   ....let simmer for a billion years, etc

Yeah, the Fermi paradox bubbles my brain too. I mean, the sheer overwhelming vastness of space with the innumerable galaxies, stars, planets... statistically, however complex, difficult or unlikely our arisal, it must have happened elsewhere in the universe. Right?
Sum ergo sum
(May 21, 2015 at 4:14 am)ignoramus Wrote: The shit this planet went through just to get the variables in the right place at the right time boggle "my small mind" anyway!
And then the cooking starts   ....let simmer for a billion years, etc

There are a lot of planets in the (observable) universe.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

What's more likely, statistically speaking?
God created sentient life on earth or that earth is the only planet in the universe with sentient life on it.
my brain hurts now...
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
If anything, that article gives me hope that sentient life can probably be found all over the universe, once we learn to look far enough. I mean, the occurrences that led to the formation of sentient life here seem quite common in nature. And from what I see, the odds are not as great as most religious people tend to think.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(May 21, 2015 at 4:38 am)Ben Davis Wrote: ... the Fermi paradox bubbles my brain too. I mean, the sheer overwhelming vastness of space with the innumerable galaxies, stars, planets... statistically, however complex, difficult or unlikely our arisal, it must have happened elsewhere in the universe. Right?

Maybe.  But given the vastness of time as well as space, thousands of civilizations could have formed long ago, and have been dead for millions of years.

It may be that interstellar travel has always presented unsurmountable obstacles.  Voyager 1, if it were heading for the nearest star system, would take 70,000 years to get there, according to Wikipedia.  It took decades just to get to the outer part of our solar system.  It may be impossible to build a spaceship that is going to be able to successfully take a human being (or its alien "equivalent") from one star system to another, excepting when two star systems collide.

Even if someone could travel near the speed of light, just imagine what would happen to the spaceship when it runs into something.  Even a tiny speck of dust would be catastrophic.  You can ask our rocket scientist, Alex K, about this.  He could probably do the math for the kinds of forces involved.

And, of course, weightlessness itself is harmful to humans, especially for an extended period of time, so that is another problem that would have to be solved.

And right now, the earth's magnetic field and atmosphere protects us from harmful radiation.  A substitute for that would also be necessary.

I think that the idea of interstellar travel and colonization of remote solar systems is fantasy.  I will only change my mind on this if and when the above problems are solved.  You can ask Alex K what he thinks about this, but I suspect he will give you an optimistic guess.  (He still might agree with me.)

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
(May 22, 2015 at 3:16 am)Alex K Wrote: There are a lot of planets in the (observable) universe.

There are only nine - heretic!

And don't start that shit about Pluto not being a planet. If it was good enough to be a planet for my Grandpappy, it's good enough fer me!
Find the cure for Fundementia!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evolution "fails" AKA "where god seems to have got it wrong" Duty 44 2127 February 6, 2022 at 8:56 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Holy Shit!!!! Minimalist 15 1075 August 12, 2018 at 5:34 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Holy Shit -- another CO2 record about to be set! Jehanne 10 1377 February 26, 2017 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Once Again - Science Does Stuff While Religitards Read Their Silly Old Books! Minimalist 6 1179 March 8, 2016 at 3:59 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Holy Crap He's an Idiot ThePinsir 31 5661 April 23, 2014 at 9:16 pm
Last Post: Rampant.A.I.
  Well this seems like good news. downbeatplumb 0 828 July 3, 2013 at 1:57 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  any good books on genetics recomendations? justin 2 1335 May 8, 2013 at 9:58 am
Last Post: justin