Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What To Do?
What To Do?
Recently, I've been going through some major life changes.  I find myself in need of a job that actually pays me (it's been seven years since I've had one of those), and hitting walls everywhere I go.  Through highschool, college, and beyond, for twelve years I waited tables and tended bar, and I've thought that's probably the best industry for me. The thing is, though, I live in San Diego County, where the servers and bartenders are all 22 and models.  I'm not a dog or anything, but I'm certainly no model, and I haven't seen 22 in quite a while, so I'm having a hard time there.  I've done admin stuff and I'm good at it, it's just that sitting at a desk all day sucks the life out of me.

I have several degrees in music, but I don't really want to do anything with them, not that anyone would hire me anyway; it's been 12 years since I graduated, doing nothing with them so I'm simply not qualified.  I also have a short, but relatively abundant, background in television news (again: not a model) and radio.  I've often thought I'd make a really good preacher, but my lack of  belief sort of screws me there.  Does anyone have any ideas?  I don't really have time for schooling right now; I need a job... like two weeks ago, but I have very little direction and very few ideas about what to even do.  I'm also having anxiety because I have very little confidence and I'm going through a major depressive episode right now.  I'm hoping someone can help me with with something epiphanic.

Also, a little further information: I don't need some great career, and I more than likely won't have to do whatever job it is for long. It would, however, be great to find something I want to do even after I stop needing to do it.  Though, I'm much more comfortable volunteering my time rather than having to bring in a paycheck.  I suck at money; we hate each other.

Thank you Smile
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
RE: What To Do?
With your background, have you considered something along the lines of programme director on radio?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I will not give advice on this matter, based on overall sucking at getting jobs. There is one thing I do, and that is to give my best on whatever job I find, no matter how menial it seems.
I'm really sorry you're going through an episode right now, I can imagine its a lot to deal with at once with the job hunting on your mind
I don't know shit, but had an idea, if you don't mind low paid jobs many college students around where I come from work as shop assistants or on gas stations....but that's probably a less desirable option
I wish I could be of some more help Undecided

anyway I hope it works out for you....lots of hugs Becca
In addition to your music background, did you take any classes in education? I don't know what the requirements in California are, but have you looked into substitute teaching?
So... you know music, bars and tables.... with some administration stuff thrown in.
You can be a musician's manager! Wink
Bar manager, restaurant manager...

Bar or restaurant reviewer? Those Michelin stars don't light up on their own, you know?
(June 8, 2015 at 4:02 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: With your background, have you considered something along the lines of programme director on radio?

Boru

Excellent suggestion, and I would love to do that.  The problem here is it's a major market, and I'd be lucky to get an internship at a radio station.  I had a mentor, someone who was willing to give me a chance at a station I (used to) absolutely love.  After our two-year friendship, me hanging out at and occasionally making a guest appearance on-air at the station, and taking my R/TV classes, I asked him if I was finally ready for a job at the station.  He asked me for sex.  That was a very tough moment in my life.  He got fired three days later (don't know why or if it had anything to do with me; I didn't complain to anyone or anything), and I lost my mentor.  TBC: I wouldn't have slept with him if he were Dave Grohl and the sex came with an unlimited supply of beer and weed. Gross.

But anyway, the only way I could get a job in radio right now is if I moved to a crappier market or I got extremely lucky.  I've thought about moving, but I can't afford to right now.  Thanks Smile

(June 8, 2015 at 4:07 pm)Neimenovic Wrote: I'm really sorry you're going through an episode right now, I can imagine its a lot to deal with at once with the job hunting on your mind
I don't know shit, but had an idea, if you don't mind low paid jobs many college students around where I come from work as shop assistants or on gas stations....but that's probably a less desirable option
I wish I could be of some more help Undecided

anyway I hope it works out for you....lots of hugs Becca

Thanks Vic Smile

I wouldn't work in a gas station; they tend to be dangerous, but I have thought about working at a bookstore or music store.  There are several used bookstores near me. Maybe I'll go see if they need any help.  Thanks!

(June 8, 2015 at 4:07 pm)Crossless1 Wrote: In addition to your music background, did you take any classes in education?  I don't know what the requirements in California are, but have you looked into substitute teaching?

I have, but honestly, being alone in a room with 30 kids is terrifying to me.  It's an excellent suggestion; just not the right one for me. Thanks C1 Smile
(June 8, 2015 at 4:27 pm)pocaracas Wrote: So... you know music, bars and tables.... with some administration stuff thrown in.
You can be a musician's manager! Wink
Bar manager, restaurant manager...

Bar or restaurant reviewer? Those Michelin stars don't light up on their own, you know?

Wait: it gets better.  Membership Director for my mom's Advocate directory; SART Advocate; owner of an arts and crafts studio; copy writer...

Actually, a reviewer might be good... I wonder how I would get into doing that.  I wonder if there are still paid positions for that stuff, with yelp! and all.  I'm gonna look into it. Thanks, poca Smile
Oh, I'm sorry to hear that! I find job hunting grueling without going through a depressive episode!
Above proposals are all great. A more boring and pragmatic idea if all else fails - a desk job that is about something you personally find exciting might be somewhat less life-sucking than just any random admin work...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I can empathize becca. I'm in nearly the same situation, but more limited with regards to standing long periods, lifting, and doing labor jobs. I am thinking of a desk job right now as well, as Alex K has mentioned. If you don't mind being on a computer all day, then something like data entry might not be too bad, but it may be too boring for you, compared to what you're used to. I'm sure you've done this, but just jump onto the job websites, and see if something jumps out at you. I hope we both can get something soon Smile Best wishes, on the search!
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' -Isaac Asimov-