Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RTS - We Have Some Sufferers Here
RTS - We Have Some Sufferers Here
Interesting idea....

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/07/religiou...-problems/

Quote:Religious Trauma Syndrome: How some organized religion leads to mental health problems

Psychology usually leaves me cold but we have a couple wandering around here who seem like a religious IED went off too close to their cars and fried their brains.
RE: RTS - We Have Some Sufferers Here
Oh yea, no harm in religion, no harm at all

I can relate to some of the symptoms described.....but your regular christers will deny everything
I could see how fundamentalism and the fear of hell could be traumatic enough for some people that they have a form of PTSD. Hell is a sick concept. Not only do you have to be afraid that you might go to hell but if you don't raise your own kids or convert your loved ones, they will go to hell also and it would be your fault.

I have spoken with more than one person who reported feeling terrified when they returned home from school and their parents were gone. They thought that their loved ones had been raptured without them.

Quote:In addition to anxiety, RTS can include depression, cognitive difficulties, and problems with social functioning. In fundamentalist Christianity, the individual is considered depraved and in need of salvation. A core message is “You are bad and wrong and deserve to die.” (The wages of sin is death.) This gets taught to millions of children through organizations like Child Evangelism Fellowship, and there is a group organized to oppose their incursion into public schools. I’ve had clients who remember being distraught when given a vivid bloody image of Jesus paying the ultimate price for their sins. Decades later they sit telling me that they can’t manage to find any self-worth.

This doesn't surprise me at all.
Quote:They thought that their loved ones had been raptured without them.

That is like seriously fucked up, man.

Although....I bet you could have a lot of fun leaving piles of clothes scattered about trailer parks in the south.  Set up a hidden camera and put it on youtube.
(July 6, 2015 at 12:55 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:They thought that their loved ones had been raptured without them.

That is like seriously fucked up, man.

Although....I bet you could have a lot of fun leaving piles of clothes scattered about trailer parks in the south.  Set up a hidden camera and put it on youtube.

You are one evil bastard Min!  Wink
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. ~ George Bernard Shaw
This doesn't surprise me.
(July 6, 2015 at 12:52 pm)Nope Wrote: I could see how fundamentalism and the fear of hell could be traumatic enough for some people that they have a form of PTSD. Hell is a sick concept. Not only do you have to be afraid that you might go to hell but if you don't raise your own kids or convert your loved ones, they will go to hell also and it would be your fault.

I have spoken with more than one person who reported feeling terrified when they returned home from school and their parents were gone. They thought that their loved ones had been raptured without them.

Quote:In addition to anxiety, RTS can include depression, cognitive difficulties, and problems with social functioning. In fundamentalist Christianity, the individual is considered depraved and in need of salvation. A core message is “You are bad and wrong and deserve to die.” (The wages of sin is death.) This gets taught to millions of children through organizations like Child Evangelism Fellowship, and there is a group organized  to oppose their incursion into public schools.  I’ve had clients who remember being distraught when given a vivid bloody image of Jesus paying the ultimate price for their sins. Decades later they sit telling me that they can’t manage to find any self-worth.

This doesn't surprise me at all.

Oh hell yeah. (pun intended) Sure, I once went home, found nobody there . . . when they finally got back, they found me crying in my closet. I was sure that they had been Raptured. My mother was an evil psychotic bitch who beat the crap out of me daily, while quoting scripture. I still have a burn scar on my right leg from where she pressed the tip of her iron, saying that "now you'll never forget what hell is going to feel like".  PTSD.  Oh yeah, I have some. Now, she probably would have been dangerous without the psycho fanaticism, so I can't COMPLETELY blame religion for the hours of therapy I've been through. (They were very helpful.) But oh yes, there were huge elements of abuse in the ultra-right-wing protestant snake-handling, speaking-in-tongues cults that I knew as a child.
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
As someone who had mostly positive or otherwise neutral experiences with religion I can fully understand why severe indoctrination and late change of mind could destroy someone's psychological well being. I imagine someone living a few years or even decades thinking something is right and dedicating most of their life, out of passion and fear, to that something - And then they find out it's a lie, but they' can't let it go because they were told so many times it is right they can't conceive the possibility of it being wrong.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

I have no doubts about how indoctrination can cause lasting damage in lots of ways. I've heard several people now describe the after effects as PTSD. Every one of them has my sincere sympathy.

With ruthless indoctrination it seems the outcome is either someone with their reasoning skills and grip on reality fried, or else a narrow escape plagued by all kind of horrific symptoms which take a lot of work to come to terms with.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Brainwashing is bad on a good day. And religion is anything but good.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  So why do Christians here in the United States have such a persecution complex GoHalos1993 13 3685 November 2, 2015 at 10:26 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  I have some proof here that there's no afterlife gandy 18 6021 October 8, 2013 at 1:42 pm
Last Post: Sword of Christ
  Anyone want to have some fun debunking this crap? Ziploc Surprise 3 1934 October 13, 2012 at 12:02 am
Last Post: TaraJo
  Have some fun dying... Rokcet Scientist 4 1638 February 1, 2012 at 11:56 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Per request, here's some target practice. tackattack 19 4668 March 20, 2010 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: tackattack