Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Food for The Eagle - Adam Savage speech
Food for The Eagle - Adam Savage speech
The Mythbusters have received the Harvard Humanism Award last week. This is a link to Adam Savage's speech to the Harvard Humanism Society.

http://www.boingboing.net/features/savage.html

Quote:I want to start by saying that, to me, any discourse from me about how one can live a moral existence without religion or the church would sound improperly defensive. That there's an opposite to be defended is absurd and based on a provably false premise. So let's dispense with that.

(To be clear: I'm referring to the humanist axiom "Good without God," whereby "good" means morality. It's provably false that there exists no morality outside of religion, therefore the statement sounds defensive to me.)
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
RE: Food for The Eagle - Adam Savage speech
Really sweet, good find. I'm glad it's transcribed, too- I hate listening to speeches when I can read them in a fraction of the time.
[Image: Canadatheist3copy.jpg?t=1270015625]
Wow, no wonder that's one of my favorite shows.

Actually, I realize that my favorite shows are all run by atheists:

South Park
Mythbusters
Family Guy
Top Gear
I liked that so much I posted it to Facebook. More people should be exposed to those ideas.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Y Chromosomal Adam and Mitochondrial Eve: Polygenism and probabilistic considerations Nishant Xavier 34 2861 September 4, 2023 at 3:53 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  Did Adam and Eve have belly buttons? Heat 15 2348 January 10, 2016 at 11:31 am
Last Post: JuliaL
  what kind of pet food do you like? Rico 15 3266 July 19, 2015 at 11:41 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Persuasive speech help Philosojoey 9 1741 November 5, 2014 at 12:56 pm
Last Post: TreeSapNest
  Ayaan's recent Yale speech...cant find it. Brian37 7 2382 September 19, 2014 at 7:51 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Freedom of Speech in the UK Gooders1002 9 3174 March 28, 2013 at 11:11 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Use of religious language in every day speech rubikscube 24 6920 January 20, 2012 at 3:00 am
Last Post: Blam!
  Obama covers up religious symbol for speech moodydaniel 0 1604 April 17, 2009 at 5:14 am
Last Post: moodydaniel