Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are your favorite art/off-beat films?
What are your favorite art/off-beat films?
I like a lot of arthouse films. I recently turned to those kinds of off-beat movies.

Synecdoche, New York
For an analysis of this movie, but only after you watch at least once:

Dogville
Funny Games (2007 film)
Whiplash (2014 film)
127 hours 
Moon (film)
Shame (2011 film)
Amour (2012 film)
Drive (2011 film)
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011 film)
Primer (film)

Most of these I got from YMS' channel. Not shoving him down your throat - but fair is fair. His recommendations turned out to be great. I was a pretty shallow movie watcher before finding out about these.

Hope you'll like the films and have something to recommend yourselves! Be sure to use the wiki tags, make it easier for the rest of us to find out what's what.
RE: What are your favorite films?
Eh... Too lazy to set URL addresses but you can find them yourselves anyway - that's what IMDB is for.

These are all my favorite movies AND tv shows, starting with the ones I love the most.

TV Shows - these 5 I can watch constantly over and over again and I never get bored. Big Grin
1. Stargate SG-1.
2. Eureka.
3. Fringe.
4. Hercules (with K. Sorbo).
5. Andromeda (with K. Sorbo).

Movies (with cars and other ground vehicles):
1. Fast and Furious - all parts: past, present and future.
2. Taxi 1, 2, 3 and 4. I'm hoping "Taxi 5" will be made some day.
3. Transporter 1 and 2.
4. Mad Max - all parts, except for the 2015 because I haven't seen that one yet.
5. Smokey and the Bandit - all parts.

Other movies:

1. Resident Evil - all parts.
2. Independence Day (1996).
3. War Of The Worlds (2005).
4. Minions - all parts.
[Image: OAsWbDZ.png]
Big Momma's House 2
Martin Lawrence at his finest hour.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
YMS is pretty great, though he did ruin Toy Story 3 for me. Tongue

As for my own list:
1. District 9
2. Summer Wars
3. Princess Mononoke
4. Kung-Fu Hustle
5. The Host (The Korean one, not the Stephanie Meyer movie)
6. Oldboy (Again, the Korean one.)
7. Let the Right One In (Swedish one)
8. Pacific Rim
9. Dead & Breakfast
10. Versus

So, it's a mix of sci fi movies and weird foreign films. I tend to rate movies higher for specific things they do right or uniquely, rather than how they are as a whole package (Dead & Breakfast is on the list for having singing zombies and some most exuberant gore) so these are kinda highly personal. That said, most of them are still films I'd call amazing on their own, without injecting my own subjective tastes too much.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(July 14, 2015 at 2:58 pm)Atheist_BG Wrote:

Hi! Thank you so much for your imput!

However,

I refer you to my thread about TV Shows - https://atheistforums.org/thread-34619.html

This one is about films. Also, keep in mind the tone I set for this particular thread. I wasn't asking for your preferences about big-budget Hollywood action/thriller crap like the first four movies you listed. Rather, this is more about artsy pretentious stuff.

Hope I got my message across.

Thanks again, 

EP.
(July 14, 2015 at 3:34 pm)excitedpenguin Wrote: This one is about films. Also, keep in mind the tone I set for this particular thread. I wasn't asking for your preferences about big-budget Hollywood action/thriller crap like the first four movies you listed. Rather, this is more about artsy pretentious stuff.

The majority of the movies I watch are the kind you just excluded so....

I guess I really like Mr. Brooks...
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
(July 14, 2015 at 3:38 pm)Clueless Morgan Wrote:
(July 14, 2015 at 3:34 pm)excitedpenguin Wrote: This one is about films. Also, keep in mind the tone I set for this particular thread. I wasn't asking for your preferences about big-budget Hollywood action/thriller crap like the first four movies you listed. Rather, this is more about artsy pretentious stuff.

The majority of the movies I watch are the kind you just excluded so....

I guess I really like Mr. Brooks...

Sorry, then. Maybe you should start a different thread for a different kind of movies. Or maybe you should try watching a bunch of these ^^. You might like them. I know I did.
(July 14, 2015 at 3:34 pm)excitedpenguin Wrote: action/thriller crap like the first four movies you listed.

If you think these are crap, then there's nothing to talk about with you.
[Image: OAsWbDZ.png]
(July 14, 2015 at 3:42 pm)Atheist_BG Wrote:
(July 14, 2015 at 3:34 pm)excitedpenguin Wrote: action/thriller crap like the first four movies you listed.

If you think these are crap, then there's nothing to talk about with you.
Compared with what I have in mind they are crap. Don't take offense, please. I don't think you had anything to do with producing those utter monstrosities.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What songs or artists send you diving for the off button? arewethereyet 145 11129 April 25, 2024 at 7:08 am
Last Post: The Magic Pudding.
  Art in the Home FrustratedFool 17 1297 October 25, 2023 at 6:59 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  "Impossible" Art LinuxGal 12 1238 September 9, 2023 at 2:24 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Is art deranged? MarcusA 29 2158 September 3, 2023 at 7:34 am
  What is Art? MarcusA 15 1077 September 3, 2023 at 2:17 am
Last Post: MarcusA
  Art in decadence? Macoleco 53 5584 December 4, 2022 at 5:43 pm
  What Your Favorite Religious Movie ? The Architect Of Fate 25 2484 November 24, 2022 at 1:44 pm
Last Post: Uberpod
  Your favorite Star Trek Universe Alien Foxaèr 27 1083 November 28, 2020 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Of neon and art deco...... Brian37 7 534 September 2, 2020 at 3:28 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Your favorite fictional pub? Gawdzilla Sama 63 3423 May 7, 2020 at 7:38 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama