Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:29 am

Poll: What is more important to you?
This poll is closed.
Truth
100.00%
14 100.00%
Love
0%
0 0%
Total 14 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Truth or Love?.. What Matters to you Most?
Truth or Love?.. What Matters to you Most?
Truth or Love?

I feel I could go through life, content, without experiencing love. Of course, I’d need some friendships or acquaintances, but I don’t feel I’d need love. Love, of course, is a great thing, but it can make your life miserable, as well. I’d rather have truth, than someone pretending to love me for whatever reason. I’d rather have someone be brutally honest with me, as often as possible, as opposed to someone talking about me behind my back. I’d want to hear feedback how I could be a better person, rather than false love, like.. when people tell you that you’re amazing, but you really aren’t. They want you to hear that, in order to use you in some way. It happens too often.

I think it’s a problem, when people don’t hear the truth enough. Everyone is worried about hurting everyone else’s feelings or being politically correct, instead of trying to point out each other’s mistakes. I don’t think life should revolve around that, but when someone is doing something wrong over and over again to someone, or to multiple people, they need to hear it. Some people are narcissistic, but many people are decent, and will want to change to be a better person, so they can get along with whomever, better than before. Being kind and truthful to one another, plus common interests, and other positive personality traits, can lead to love. I don’t think that you have love without truth, not in my definition anyway.

Truth or Love.. What’s more important, and why? Force yourself to think about it, and don’t say both are equally important.
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' -Isaac Asimov-
RE: Truth or Love?.. What Matters to you Most?
Truth.

Love and trust are transitory without it.
Truth. Can't have the other.
Truth.

Although I'd rather live in an entirely artificial reality of my own design than this one. But since I'm stuck here, nothing means much without truth. Tell me the truth you bastards.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Why is there a trade-off? Why can't I have both?
love itself is not on my priority list at all ill go with truth.
Id radther people be truthful to me than lie because over all
if your truthful ill forgive you because that is human nature but
if you lie and don't tell the truth that is a bit different.
Over all if you lie to me and then try to be truthful and tell the truth
its forgivable but all in all id question you.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(July 21, 2015 at 12:07 pm)The Barefoot Bum Wrote: Why is there a trade-off? Why can't I have both?

You can have both. I thought it would be a decent exercise, to pick one that matters most to you. Are they exactly the same for you?
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' -Isaac Asimov-
(July 20, 2015 at 1:18 pm)Salacious B. Crumb Wrote: Truth or Love?

I feel I could go through life, content, without experiencing love. Of course, I’d need some friendships or acquaintances, but I don’t feel I’d need love. Love, of course, is a great thing, but it can make your life miserable, as well. I’d rather have truth, than someone pretending to love me for whatever reason. I’d rather have someone be brutally honest with me, as often as possible, as opposed to someone talking about me behind my back. I’d want to hear feedback how I could be a better person, rather than false love, like.. when people tell you that you’re amazing, but you really aren’t. They want you to hear that, in order to use you in some way. It happens too often.

I think it’s a problem, when people don’t hear the truth enough. Everyone is worried about hurting everyone else’s feelings or being politically correct, instead of trying to point out each other’s mistakes. I don’t think life should revolve around that, but when someone is doing something wrong over and over again to someone, or to multiple people, they need to hear it. Some people are narcissistic, but many people are decent, and will want to change to be a better person, so they can get along with whomever, better than before. Being kind and truthful to one another, plus common interests, and other positive personality traits, can lead to love. I don’t think that you have love without truth, not in my definition anyway.

Truth or Love.. What’s more important, and why? Force yourself to think about it, and don’t say both are equally important.

The way you are describing things, it seems to me you are comparing truth with a false love, or in other words, not with love at all.  Who wouldn't rather have truth than a false, pretend love?

If you now tell me, but wait, I stated "I don’t think that you have love without truth, not in my definition anyway", you also stated, "Truth or Love.. What’s more important, and why? Force yourself to think about it, and don’t say both are equally important."

You seem to be setting things up so that we are supposed to choose between truth and love, but cannot choose both, and love requires truth.  In other words, you are insisting that we do not choose love, because choosing love is choosing both.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.
I don't understand love even though I sometimes use the word i.e. I love that movie, that meal, those Steelers. I think the word love is over used and has lost any real value, or at least value to me. I'll take truth and honesty every day over love, (white lies excluded, can't live without those).
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(July 21, 2015 at 1:08 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: I don't understand love even though I sometimes use the word i.e. I love that movie, that meal, those Steelers. I think the word love is over used and has lost any real value, or at least value to me. I'll take truth and honesty every day over love, (white lies excluded, can't live without those).
I'm with you on that, I don't truly understand what love is. I'm clearly very fond of my wife and kids (and the new car) but it just seems like a scaleable measure of liking something to me. Then again, I'm extremely lacking in strong feelings at either end of the spectrum (as my wife often reminds me).

New 'things' excite me a lot but familiarity eventually shoves them down the love scale.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stuff you have done (that most people haven' t) onlinebiker 54 4129 October 4, 2022 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Do you think historical accuracy matters much in modern entertainment Woah0 30 1702 September 20, 2022 at 1:05 am
Last Post: Woah0
  What is "My Truth"? brewer 26 1171 December 19, 2021 at 10:04 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Who winds you up the most? Cod 26 1845 October 22, 2018 at 7:44 am
Last Post: brewer
  Most otherwise popular food/snack/dessert/beverage you cannot stand ? vorlon13 65 10307 April 16, 2018 at 4:30 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  The Truth Edwardo Piet 7 1761 April 3, 2018 at 4:06 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  The Most Important Post You'll Read Today BrianSoddingBoru4 4 685 March 14, 2018 at 2:55 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  What has caused you the most pain? brewer 52 6440 January 2, 2018 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  What do you love most, about AF? The Grand Nudger 99 20551 June 4, 2017 at 10:58 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  If you have an android phone you should read this. #5 is the most shocking. ErGingerbreadMandude 7 1968 December 18, 2016 at 1:14 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude