Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 9:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Gravity acting upwards or downwards?
Is Gravity acting upwards or downwards?
Goddammit,i came across this thought while pushing my bike and it really struck a cord.I'd be really appreciative if someone could clear it.

I was always told that gravity was pulling us down by people,they told me that this was the reason why i came back to ground when i jump.
Correct me if i'm wrong,but i think this is the same as pushing us down.

So picture this:

You are given two objects,object X and object Y.
The mass of object Y is the double of the mass of object X.
Picture that these two objects are placed in front of you and you are asked to push them.
You'd indefinitely be able to push X better than Y,correct?

Now consider that same situation but in a vertical axis.
If there were two objects such as X and Y in the air.
Lets assume that gravity is pushing these objects down,

So,if that is true which object would gravity be able to move faster?
Obviously object X,right? Because Y is heavier than X so it is easier to move X.

If that is correct,if i threw these two objects upward.
Shouldn't the object X which is lighter than Y fall quicker than Y? (Assuming that their is no air resistance) 

So picture this,i throw a cricket ball and a mountain(same shape as that of cricket ball but higher density) up,shouldn't the ball come falling to the ground faster? Since it is easier to push it because it is lighter?

Then why in the fuck is the mountain coming down faster?? This really bugged me as fuck.

So i thought about this shit and then i formulated that maybe,

Gravity isn't really pushing us down or is it pulling us down.
Maybe,
That son of a bitch is pushing us up.
Why did i think like that?

Picture the same objects X and Y.

If i had to lift these two objects then i'd be easier for me to lift the object X than Y because X is lighter.
So if i gradually decrease the force i apply to these objects X and Y,
Y would come down faster than X,right?
Because Y is heavier and a slight decrease in the force i apply to it to keep it up would enable it to come down farther.
Whereas,
If i reduce the force with which i'm holding X up slightly,it wouldn't come as far as down like Y because it is lighter.

So,i concluded that gravity is acting upwards,i.e,pushing objects upwards.
Then why is it called acceleration due to gravity?Shouldn't it be called deceleration due to gravity?

Yeah,ok thanks for reading,i'd be grateful if someone could tell me if these thoughts really hold any credit,if yes,why? If no,why?
Or is it just another senseless blunders i too frequently come across? Dodgy
RE: Is Gravity acting upwards or downwards?
Gravity is the phenomenon of all bodies attracting each other. It doesn't work upwards or downwards.
You're confusing work (pushing the two masses) with acceleration.  When objects are accelerating due to gravity, the mass of the object doesn't matter.  Galileo demonstrated this by dropping a cannon ball and a bullet from a height, and they hit the ground at the same time.  So no, gravity doesn't 'push' or 'pull' either upwards or downwards - is an attractive force between two masses.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I mean like,gravity is a force right?,then why wouldn't the mass be a factor that doesn't affect gravitational force on an object?

To my understanding force equals mass multiplied by acceleration,right?
(My goodness i feel so dumb)
(August 1, 2015 at 5:33 am)pool Wrote: I mean like,gravity is a force right?,then why wouldn't the mass be a factor that doesn't affect gravitational force on an object?

To my understanding force equals mass multiplied by acceleration,right?
(My goodness i feel so dumb)

Yes, F = ma.  But (in this case) it might help to think of 'force' as 'weight', not as the 'force' of gravitational attraction.

And yes, the gravitation constant is equal in magnitude for ALL masses (for Newtonian physics, at least.  I've no idea what happens at the quantum level).

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
To answer your question, gravity can pull up or pull down. It pulls towards the center of mass aka the center of the earth.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
(August 1, 2015 at 6:27 am)Lemonvariable72 Wrote: To answer your question, gravity can pull up or pull down. It pulls towards the center of mass aka the center of the earth.

Ok,since i have no idea about how this thing works in the technical sense,can you think about it as,

Gravity doesn't pull towards the center of mass but rather push away from the center of mass?
And tell me if it makes atleast a least tiny bit of sense?

Probably completely stupid as fuck but,when i think about it,i think that maybe that's why we have an atmosphere.
Maybe gravity is pushing away from the center of mass?

But according to that,probably every planet with a really high gravitational field should have an atmosphere,right? Oh i donno about that
pool! are you refraining from taking meds? I'm being serious!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
This has got to be a bait or a joke or a baiting joke.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Just a second, let me clarify everything for you with my superior physics:

Bla bla geodesics bla bla bla spacetime bla
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earth's Gravity Hole Bucky Ball 2 572 July 29, 2023 at 1:27 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  How Cn Gravity Affect Light When Light Has No Mass? Rhondazvous 18 1884 March 2, 2018 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  What Does Gravity Have To Do WithThe Expanding Universe? Rhondazvous 42 6037 February 26, 2018 at 8:14 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Defy Gravity! Haipule 43 5400 January 26, 2018 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  If there's nothing in empty space, then how does it get warped by gravity? EruptedCarcassBloat 31 5576 October 13, 2016 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
  How exactly does gravity affect time? ErGingerbreadMandude 17 2177 February 21, 2016 at 8:28 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Why is there gravity? urlawyer 77 13085 May 11, 2015 at 2:34 am
Last Post: Alex K
  A Capella Science - Bohemian Gravity! Cyberman 3 1470 September 18, 2013 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Is there something that is not affected by gravity? L.A.F. 35 12323 May 9, 2013 at 9:41 pm
Last Post: A_Nony_Mouse
  A Simulation of Stellar Gravity Annik 12 5060 January 17, 2013 at 6:16 am
Last Post: dj-hato