Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 1:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief
Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief
I finally got around to watching this documentary, and I am not at all surprised at how corrupt and cult-like the organization is.

One thing that struck me that I am certain I have witnessed first-hand in a certain capacity since I live here in Clearwater where the organization has a center, is their negative views toward homosexuality.

I have encountered several clearly gay scientologist guys and it made me wonder if perhaps that was what the two opposite gender group dynamic was all about, a way for the woman to suppress the gay man's natural self by always being with him and dissuading him from what they considered "inappropriate" or "unnatural" behavior.

If you have seen it, what most bothered you about it?
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief
There's a whole shitload of gay catholic priests, too.

IT seems they try to hide in plain sight.
(August 13, 2015 at 2:04 am)Kitan Wrote: [...]
One thing that struck me that I am certain I have witnessed first-hand in a certain capacity since I live here in Clearwater where the organization has a center, is their negative views toward homosexuality.
[...]

Gosh, that poor Tom Cruise just can't catch a break...
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
I was surprised that there was this idea floating around in the documentary that LRH was a egomanical lying asshole, but was way less of a cold and calculated sociopath as his successor, and more of a troubled soul, so to speak.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Looks like this batch of nuts is going even more nuts.

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/11/tom-crui...-his-mind/

Quote:Tom Cruise is ‘freaking out’ over Leah Remini’s Scientology tell-all: ‘She’s evil in his mind’

Of course all religious fucktards are nuts but these people are a special case.
L. Ron hated psychiatry and made them the enemy of Scientology. There are some things to agree with him about on that, but that was in the 1950's - the discipline of psychiatry has come a very long way since then, whereas Scientology has not advanced, or recognised the legitimate contribution made by psychiatry today.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
Whatever happened to the fucking Bagwan ??

And I can only hope Miscavige is soon just as obscure.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

The 20/20 interview with Leah Remini is really interesting; IMO, Scientology only affirms the thoughts I'd already had of them, and Remini comes off with a ton of class.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
(November 12, 2015 at 10:14 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Whatever happened to the fucking Bagwan ??

His ass got deported. The rest of him too.
(August 13, 2015 at 8:11 am)Quantum Wrote: I was surprised that there was this idea floating around in the documentary that LRH was a egomanical lying asshole, but was way less of a cold and calculated sociopath as his successor, and more of a troubled soul, so to speak.

It takes a certain kind of person to start a religion, and a different kind of person to turn it into a lasting success:

L Ron Hubbard and David Miscavage...

Joseph Smith and Brigham Young...

(November 12, 2015 at 11:27 pm)The_Empress Wrote: The 20/20 interview with Leah Remini is really interesting; IMO, Scientology only affirms the thoughts I'd already had of them, and Remini comes off with a ton of class.

It was really good to hear that when she left her family came with her. One of the most damaging things about organizations like Scientology is that it divides families in nearly irreconcilable ways by "highly encouraging" (read:forcing) members to cut ties with "supressive persons" or apostates. There were several stories from Going Clear of people who basically had to walk away from their parents, siblings or children when they left.
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I'm going to the Mojave to steal a car! ignoramus 11 609 December 17, 2018 at 11:46 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Who else is going to see Rogue One, the next Star Wars movie soon? Whateverist 138 11786 December 24, 2016 at 6:17 am
Last Post: ApeNotKillApe
  How long has this been going on? BrianSoddingBoru4 0 683 December 13, 2015 at 2:03 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Movie industry going down ? Marsellus Wallace 34 5709 July 9, 2015 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  I'm going insane Pizza 4 1017 March 24, 2015 at 1:15 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Jon Stewart Is Going To Have A Field Day Minimalist 0 612 January 7, 2015 at 2:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Going to see Lita Ford! Ravenshire 6 1119 July 11, 2014 at 9:26 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  What's going on? evenheathen 0 523 July 9, 2013 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: evenheathen
  How's that Scientology working out for you, Tom? Gambit 36 8862 July 2, 2012 at 9:22 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Rick Perry Parody (you're going to love this...if you haven't already seen it) LarissaAnn 2 1565 January 5, 2012 at 2:45 am
Last Post: Whateverist