Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 2:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The general wisdom is that Attention Deficit Hyperactivity
The general wisdom is that Attention Deficit Hyperactivity
The general wisdom is that Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, or ADHD, is not curable. With the aid of medication, only the symptoms can be suppressed. One must therefore choose between two evils,  or the side effects of ADHD medications.
It will then be little surprise that a study Transcendental Meditation, where the ADHD symptoms significantly reduced in a natural way, received a lot of media attention.
Despite the fact that it was a small study, the results were so impressive that they were announced on several American television, like in this article: (English).
RE: The general wisdom is that Attention Deficit Hyperactivity
I've heard that it's very often a way of diagnosing poor parentings. Kids fed absolutely shit diets rammed with sugar, and given no proper attention or guidance.

You can't blame the parents, so you need a word for it. It's really sad that some kids get stuck on tablets turning them into zombies when there is basically nothing wrong with them.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(September 17, 2015 at 7:02 am)robvalue Wrote: I've heard that it's very often a way of diagnosing poor parentings. Kids fed absolutely shit diets rammed with sugar, and given no proper attention or guidance.

You can't blame the parents, so you need a word for it. It's really sad that some kids get stuck on tablets turning them into zombies when there is basically nothing wrong with them.

A woman I used to be friends with used to do that:

stuff her kid with sugar,
and then she put him on Ritalin for hyperactivity.

I bit my tongue for awhile, but finally I couldn't be around her, anymore.

Ritalin is a serious drug and she treated it like they were Tic Tacs.

She ran her entire life that way:

recklessly create problems,
then seek a band-aid to fix it.

Drove me nuts.
That is disgusting Sad Sadly, it seems to be a model for parenting these days.

I see parents who constantly cave in to their kids' demands for things. They issue warnings which are never followed up. (If you don't stop that, we're going home!) They do the easiest thing for the short term, while creating problems for the long term.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(September 17, 2015 at 7:15 am)robvalue Wrote: That is disgusting Sad Sadly, it seems to be a model for parenting these days.

I see parents who constantly cave in to their kids' demands for things. They issue warnings which are never followed up. (If you don't stop that, we're going home!) They do the easiest thing for the short term, while creating problems for the long term.

yeah, never threaten what you're not prepared to deliver.

I really can't imagine becoming a parent.

Discipline is always the trickiest part.

My sisters and I never set a toe out of line because we'd get the belt.

However, I can't honestly say that I'm an advocate of corporal punishment,
since I know how it affected me, long term (depression, low self-esteem)
...even though it definitely worked, to keep me in line.
Moderator Notice
Pandæmonium - Closing staff pending review
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
Moderator Notice
I've re-opened the thread, but killed the OP. The staff feel this is worthy of further discussion but the OP is just a spambot.

Amazingly, I think this is the first time in my time on the internets that I've seen a spambot create a thread that may actually lead somewhere
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(September 18, 2015 at 3:42 am)Pandæmonium Wrote:
Moderator Notice
I've re-opened the thread, but killed the OP. The staff feel this is worthy of further discussion but the OP is just a spambot.

Amazingly, I think this is the first time in my time on the internets that I've seen a spambot create a thread that may actually lead somewhere

Thought as much when reading the weird header. It certainly looked like spambot and I was rather surprised to see a real discussion going on.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
While it may be over diagnosed, I do believe that ADHD is a real disorder.

I wanted to address this:
"One must therefore choose between two evils, or the side effects of ADHD medications."

(Even though it was said by a spambot)

ADHD can be addressed by simply educating parents. You can complain about how many parents suck and just drown their kid in sugar and never give them any discipline. But this approach does nothing to solve the problem. Being a parent is not easy, especially if you had really shitty role models and no one around to help guide you. You're just sitting there staring at this tiny, loud, annoying, rambunctious, messy, energetic, and quite frankly not so bright (common sense wise) little human being. That you love and adore and want to make happy (and quiet), so you shove a bowl of sugar in front of it and it works...sort of...
I think we really need programs to teach new parents how to feed their children (let's face it in my country even adults do not know how to eat healthy or what even is considered healthy). How to deal with outbursts. How to provide productive ways to expend all of that energy.
We should be supporting and trying to help parents. Even if only because we are sick of putting up with their child's horrible behavior.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
It better be a real thing. I've been hopped up on Amphetamines for 16 years, and I don't exactly plan on stopping anytime soon.
freedomfromfallacy » I'm weighing my tears to see if the happy ones weigh the same as the sad ones.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Supermathematics and Artificial General Intelligence ThoughtCurvature 28 6151 October 23, 2017 at 7:32 pm
Last Post: causal code
  General Info on Migraines thesummerqueen 2 951 October 14, 2011 at 9:21 am
Last Post: thesummerqueen