Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 1:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can you be an atheist and an I.D. advocate together?
Can you be an atheist and an I.D. advocate together?
Could you be an atheist and say that the world was intelligently designed by some kind of external force (such as an alien)? Would that count as atheism because there is no God or deity involved (unless the alien is a deity)?

For example, do scientologists count as atheists since they believe in Aliens and not God? Speaking of which, do they worship aliens?
RE: Can you be an atheist and an I.D. advocate together?
No. If you believe in ID, we're gonna have to kick you out of the atheist clubhouse.  Tongue

Besides, Mormons aren't allowed in, either, and a six foot tall jehova from planet Kabob sounds pretty science fictiony to me.  Angel
I can say whatever I want, but doesn't mean I'm not full of shit.
I generally assume I'm full of shit, that way no feelings are hurt.  Big Grin
Well, if this is a computer simulation, then that would lead to the possibility of design. And unless you want to call a computer and its programmer a god, then you could still be an atheist and believe this.

Or I could believe that, like you say, an alien designed us and then planted us on this planet. Or I have an invisible friend who designed us. Or that people design themselves before they are born in another dimension.

So in theory, there's nothing stopping you being an atheist and believing in design. I'm not too fond of calling it intelligent design, because we are not designed intelligently. We're a terrible design full of mistakes that any decent designer wouldn't have made, which also happens to be just what you'd expect from evolution. So maybe we do design ourselves, and are copying a flawed blueprint because we don't have anything else to go by. That makes the most sense. If it was an alien, he's having a damn laugh at our expense.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
There's no intelligence in any of these designs. The very lack of design and intent is what makes evolution so cool, and a useful paradigm. Besides, ID is a total affront to god. I'm still baffled as to why IDiots fail to see this. (Well, they generally don't understand evolution, so there's that. )
(October 3, 2015 at 2:59 am)houseofcantor Wrote: There's no intelligence in any of these designs. The very lack of design and intent is what makes evolution so cool, and a useful paradigm. Besides, ID is a total affront to god. I'm still baffled as to why IDiots fail to see this. (Well, they generally don't understand evolution, so there's that. )
Evolution is actually a VERY important in order to understand biology and I too don't understand why some Creationists fail to understand this. I think it's because we feel threatened or that's its an attack on God.

Though I disagree with the direction of Evolution (I think evolution it happens in a Reverse direction) even I can accept its theoretical potential in full and say honestly say only a wilfull tard would completely dismiss Evolution. The main point I disagree on really is abiogensis.
What does "a reverse direction" for evolution mean please? Smile
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Abiogenesis is a function of geometry. In a casual, entropic universe, life is inevitable. People get fussed over abiogenesis generally by placing undue importance upon life. Being a mathematically minded person, I'm not bothered by the concept of being little more than a set grouped into a construct called identity.
(October 3, 2015 at 3:12 am)bambi_swag Wrote:
(October 3, 2015 at 2:59 am)houseofcantor Wrote: There's no intelligence in any of these designs. The very lack of design and intent is what makes evolution so cool, and a useful paradigm. Besides, ID is a total affront to god. I'm still baffled as to why IDiots fail to see this. (Well, they generally don't understand evolution, so there's that. )
Evolution is actually a VERY important in order to understand biology and I too don't understand why some Creationists fail to understand this. I think it's because we feel threatened or that's its an attack on God.

Though I disagree with the direction of Evolution (I think evolution it happens in a Reverse direction) even I can accept its theoretical potential in full and say honestly say only a wilfull tard would completely dismiss Evolution. The main point I disagree on really is abiogensis.

Evolution does not have a direction. tell me what you think evolution is and how it works because I think you may have the wrong end of the stick. Abiogenesis happened, we know this because there is life, how it happened is up for debate but science is working on it and making strides. You can't expect science to know everything NOW and make factual claims with incomplete information. We leave that to religion.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  And this, America, is why you can't have nice things... The Valkyrie 28 5013 August 23, 2016 at 5:16 am
Last Post: Joods
  We can dare to dream of the stars again, if only we can achieve this small thing. Annik 49 18193 May 17, 2012 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: Angrboda