Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions of Novena Prayers and Offerings
Questions of Novena Prayers and Offerings
Hello Everyone, Could someone please tell me what is the reason behind Novena prayers. Why it is done 9 days at a stretch and as far as i have heard once a year.. Why not take random days. Also why does a novena prayer involve everyone else who doesn't believe that a God exists. The feeling that one respects and glorify a gods mercy is also something i cant understand. Why must one be at the mercy of God? Even if he or she exists.

1st Day: All Mankind, Especially Sinners
2nd Day: The Souls of Priests and Religious
3rd Day: All Devout and Faithful Souls
4th Day: Those Who Do Not Believe in God, and Those Who Do Not Yet Know Me (Jesus)
5th Day: The Souls of Those Who Have Separated Themselves from My (Jesus') Church
6th Day: The Meek and Humble Souls, and the Souls of Little Children
7th Day: The Souls Who Especially Venerate and Glorify My (Jesus') Mercy
8th Day: The Souls Who Are Detained in Purgatory
9th Day: Souls Who Have Become Lukewarm

I have a born again christian friend who does something like this to let go of difficulties. This person listens to someone in the church and refrains from taking alcohol for 40 days at a stretch. This action somehow relieves one's difficult times. Example , If this person is in debt or a family member is ill. I see this action as some sort of offering/sacrifice to the Gods. Instead of refraining from alcohol if that person did something worthy like genuinely wanting to help someone in need, I think any God (They fear) will accept the latter as a better option. Sadly that's not the case most of the time.
"No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path" - Gautama Buddha
RE: Questions of Novena Prayers and Offerings
I've never heard of this before. Sounds like another colossal waste of time. I agree, if they spent the time actually doing something good, that would give some point to it.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
first I've ever heard of them as well, but googled it for you this is from a good source:

http://www.gotquestions.org/what-is-a-novena.html
Think of prayer like meditation Mia. Especially in the case of rote or repetitive prayer. It constricts your breathing to a pattern, and shifts your focus away from self. If it's a standardized regimen of prayer it imposes structure. Prayer and "divine experience" show an unsurprising correlation. Does this help you to understand why your friend prays to "let go" of difficulties?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
What kind of 'god' would want to hear the same silly shit repeated day after day?

Oh,

[Image: namaaz_muslims_prayer_mosque630.jpg]

Right.
(November 17, 2015 at 11:55 am)Rhythm Wrote: Think of prayer like meditation Mia.  Especially in the case of rote or repetitive prayer.  It constricts your breathing to a pattern, and shifts your focus away from self.  If it's a standardized regimen of prayer it imposes structure.  Prayer and "divine experience" show an unsurprising correlation.  Does this help you to understand why your friend prays to "let go" of difficulties?

That's very true. But it has the added danger of making you feel like you've taken action regarding an external problem when you have done nothing.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
We often do things for some perceived benefit "x", when the actual benefit is 'y".  We're mis-attributers, no argument from me on that count.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 17, 2015 at 11:58 am)Minimalist Wrote: What kind of 'god' would want to hear the same silly shit repeated day after day?

Oh,

Right.

Do I see Vorlon right at the back of that picture Tongue

Index of my best videos
(November 17, 2015 at 12:03 pm)robvalue Wrote:
(November 17, 2015 at 11:58 am)Minimalist Wrote: What kind of 'god' would want to hear the same silly shit repeated day after day?

Oh,

Right.

Do I see Vorlon right at the back of that picture Tongue

This is the world's largest gathering of Anusius worshipers, collectively raising their bums to the glory of Anusius.  I think.

But this is the new-age sect; the Orthodox forbids pants during this kind of display Big Grin
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
Is farting in the face of the guy behind you a stoning offense?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  why your prayers often, if not always fail Drich 18 1795 February 12, 2020 at 5:11 pm
Last Post: Drich
  General questions about the Christian idea of God and love Mudhammam 148 26607 October 2, 2014 at 9:16 am
Last Post: Tonus
  20 ADAM AND EVE QUESTIONS PASTORS CANT ANSWER mumumugu 7 2574 August 18, 2014 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Zidneya
  Answered Prayers as Proof of God FadingW 91 23079 February 8, 2011 at 8:00 am
Last Post: bjhulk