Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 2:43 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Santa, NORAD, and You
Santa, NORAD, and You
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Aerospace_Defense_Command#NORAD_Tracks_Santa

https://twitter.com/NoradSanta

The Seattle Times was tweeting that NORAD, the North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD/ˈnɔræd/) which is a combined organization of the United States and Canada that provides aerospace warning, air sovereignty, and defense for Northern America, has started tracking Santa, as they do every year about tthis time. 

NORAD is a military organization of sorts, if I understand correctly. Charged with certain aspects of keeping us safe. 

I'm not even sure what my question or comment is, but it's been mathematically proven time in, time out, that Santa just can't travel quite that fast, especially if he hangs out for milk and cookies.

I wonder if all this does more to destroy the Santa myth than go along with it. But then,maybe that's a good thing. Mybiological father, forz whatever reason, was a mall Santa, but decidedly went against immersing me in the belief of Santa.

I dunno. Any thoughts, parents and the rest of us alike?
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
RE: Santa, NORAD, and You
I used the Santa tracker with my Kids and they loved it. It was especially useful when he got close to us and I told the girls that if they didn't get in bed soon, Santa wouldn't stop at our house.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
The consequences of Santa traveling at near light speed in the earth's atmosphere would be devastating to the planet.

Additionally, LOL, the NORAD radar would be unable to track such an object.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

But it's fun for the kids
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
I'm too much of a grinch to have kids.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
Hyper-nuclear incineration of the planet is 'fun' ??
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Lol vor. No. The idea of Santa. At least I made it fun for my kids.
All of these objections go away when you remember that Santa is magic.

I watched Arthur Christmas a couple of days ago, nice film! It sure helped me understand the technical details a bit better.

We just need to dispel this myth that he physically lives at the North Pole. People think they can just disprove him by going there.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
How about disproving him by noting he failed to deliver a speck of food to any starving kid anywhere on the planet ?

Enjoy your visits from Santa while you can, folks.

In the future...

[Image: judgedredd2008.jpg?w=500]
Dying to live, living to die.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do Atheists celebrate Christmas? Or does Santa ignore your letters to north pole? ErGingerbreadMandude 13 1509 December 20, 2015 at 6:13 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Teaching your kids about Santa Clause Catholic_Lady 58 8221 September 9, 2015 at 1:21 am
Last Post: robvalue
  So Santa was uncle Moe? LIES! Fruity 8 1963 November 25, 2013 at 10:43 am
Last Post: Dragonetti
  On Santa Claus FallentoReason 12 2697 October 13, 2012 at 2:29 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Santa doesn't exist Welsh cake 17 4213 November 14, 2010 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen
  [split] Santa is Satan fr0d0 13 10648 December 21, 2009 at 6:36 am
Last Post: leo-rcc