Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 2:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Oncological Argument against the existence of God
The Oncological Argument against the existence of God
Self-explanatory subversion of the tired apologist standard.I just wanted to put it out there.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

RE: The Oncological Argument against the existence of God
"Yay my allloving god gave this little girl cancer but that's because he realllllly loves her"
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
(December 23, 2015 at 4:30 pm)Quantum Wrote: Self-explanatory subversion of the tired apologist standard.I just wanted to put it out there.

Here you go.
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/camelswithh...ainst-god/
Quote:So here’s the strategy: First, agree with the theist that the Ontological Argument is a sound argument for the existence of the MPB.  Second, show that the MPB cannot possibly be the theistic deity.  Hence the Ontological Argument becomes an anti-theistic argument: it is a wonderful argument for showing that God does not exist.  But by all means, use the Ontological Argument to justify the existence of the universe, or mathematical reality taken as a whole, or the best of all possible worlds, or some other godless reality.
The same strategy can be applied to the classical cosmological arguments and the universe-level design arguments.  For instance, the same strategy can be applied to the so-called fine-tuning argument, to show that any apparent fine-tuning of our universe for life (or, if you prefer, the anthropic coincidences) is an argument against the existence of God.
It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all. - Denis Diderot

We are the United States of Amnesia, we learn nothing because we remember nothing. - Gore Vidal
Is oncological bullshit as bullshitty as ontological bullshit?
(December 23, 2015 at 4:45 pm)TheRealJoeFish Wrote: "Yay my allloving god gave this little girl cancer but that's because he realllllly loves her"

Now we have to trot out the battered spouse resp- . . . I mean Christian apologist stock answer: Everything was perfect before Adam and Eve sinned. There was no cancer or disease until after the Fall. We are a sinful, fallen species and we deserve everything we have coming to us. Besides, little girls with cancer can be a good thing since we can be chastened and made stronger in our walk with God through our and others' suffering.

In other words, it's our fault. God didn't mean to hit us, but sometimes we make him so angry (seeking forbidden knowledge of good and evil was what really pushed him over the edge) that we have to just accept our guilt for making him hit us. He loves us . . . I just know he does. He says so.

No, please don't call anyone. I'm alright. I just walked into the door. [chuckles uncomfortably] I can be so clumsy sometimes. I'm ok, really.

Look . . . I have to go. I need to have dinner ready on time. So . . . thanks for the call, but -- you know.

Really, I'm ok. I just give it to Jesus to fix. Oh, I think I hear him pulling up. Seriously, I have to go . . .
(December 23, 2015 at 5:17 pm)Evie Wrote: Is oncological bullshit as bullshitty as ontological bullshit?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oncology
"Oncology is a branch of medicine that deals with the study, treatment, diagnosis and prevention of cancer. A medical professional who practices oncology is an oncologist. [1] "

The argument from cancer against the existence of a perfection being?
It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all. - Denis Diderot

We are the United States of Amnesia, we learn nothing because we remember nothing. - Gore Vidal
Exactly
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

How about the Proctological Argument?
(December 23, 2015 at 5:32 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: How about the Proctological Argument?

What, the Biblical god is an asshole?
Gynecological Argument?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can God be objectively good despite criticism against Him/Her/It? Ahriman 80 6713 May 29, 2022 at 11:38 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Are miracles evidence of the existence of God? ido 74 4100 July 24, 2020 at 12:59 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  10 Syllogistic arguments for Gods existence Otangelo 84 10805 January 14, 2020 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  How to destroy any argument for God Drich 46 5306 October 9, 2019 at 9:02 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  How To Support Any Argument For God BrianSoddingBoru4 0 501 August 26, 2019 at 4:52 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  How To Easily Defend Any Argument For God BrianSoddingBoru4 5 770 August 22, 2019 at 9:13 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Quantum Physics Proves God’s Existence blue grey brain 15 1868 January 2, 2019 at 11:08 pm
  Why are you chasing the idea of the existence of a God? WinterHold 26 3276 August 7, 2018 at 2:05 pm
  11-Year-Old College Grad Wants to Pursue Astrophysics to Prove God’s Existence Foxaèr 49 6897 August 2, 2018 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Very short argument for God (another clear proof) Mystic 123 23626 January 26, 2018 at 8:54 pm
Last Post: Succubus