Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:02 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Personal Angel of Death?
Personal Angel of Death?
Came up with this thought after watching an old Twilight Zone. In the episode there was an old woman who was convinced that the angel of death/grim reaper was after her. Her solution was to barricade herself in her home and not let death in. She was fooled by death (Robert Redford) pretending to be a victim of violence to get in for help.

I googled religious beliefs and, according to the sites I visited, found that most religions have an angel of death entity. Not all are personal.

OK believers and non believers, I pose the following questions., mostly for believers. 

Do you believe in a personal angel of death (PAOD)?

If there is a PAOD would you be able to recognize/perceive it?

If knowing your death was near (old age, health, war, .....) would you try to hide?

Would you question your death (why me, why now)?

Would you try to barter for continued existence?

For the non believers, if convinced that this was your PAOD, would you convert?

Don't expect this thread to go to far. Some of the questions seem childish but I'm asking anyway. Just my random brain musings.

Thanks.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
RE: Personal Angel of Death?
(January 1, 2016 at 3:50 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Would you question your death (why me, why now)?

Yes to both questions, but only when I'm not done yet with a video game or a book.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Quote:For the non believers, if convinced that this was your PAOD, would you convert?

Would be a bit late for that, wouldn't it?
(January 1, 2016 at 4:23 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Would be a bit late for that, wouldn't it?

Maybe enough time to CYA.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
If death was near and I had a realistic chance of avoiding it, I would try to do so (unless my health was so bad it was time to die). This would include pretending to do or believe whatever I thought might work in the situation, but wouldn't extend to doing something I considered immoral such as killing another person.

If something bizarre like an "angel" turned up, I'd be very curious and I'd try to talk to it somehow. If I thought it was here to kill me, I wouldn't beg or bargain with it unless I thought I had some chance of fooling it. I wouldn't run and hide, unless I thought that would actually help.

Of course, these are all logical thoughts while I'm in a safe environment. Who knows what I would actually do in a highly unusual and volatile situation.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(January 1, 2016 at 3:56 pm)abaris Wrote:
(January 1, 2016 at 3:50 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Would you question your death (why me, why now)?

Yes to both questions, but only when I'm not done yet with a video game or a book.

[Image: tommy-lee-jones-header.jpg]
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
Works for me:

[Image: Rencontre-avec-Joe-Black_portrait_w858.jpg]
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Death is a beautiful woman dressed in black with blue eyes that gaze into your soul. But yeah id run from her.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
How exactly does one 'recognize' an angel of death?  By the chess board?

[Image: seventh_seal_web__detail_carousel.jpg]
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
That's the problem with all such magical things. There is no frame of reference in reality, only in other anecdotes and in mythology. But this doesn't stop people instantly recognising and categorising things.

Their explanation is generally, "What else could it be?"
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proof of Jesus through Personal testimony. Christianity over other faiths orthodox-man 46 8284 January 29, 2018 at 10:05 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Personal experience says religious folks are more prone to mental diseases ErGingerbreadMandude 20 7814 August 9, 2017 at 11:11 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Personal relationships with deities robvalue 540 65413 January 4, 2016 at 5:57 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  The argument from personal discomfort robvalue 23 4758 November 12, 2015 at 4:59 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  My story! I am an Ex-Muslim, became and Atheist. I was visited by an Angel of God. Prince 242 26277 June 19, 2015 at 9:01 pm
Last Post: nihilistcat
  Christian Personal Prophecy Question DarkHorse 4 1407 February 27, 2014 at 9:23 am
Last Post: DarkHorse
  PERSONAL BELIEF QUIZ Gooders1002 22 8010 May 7, 2012 at 1:00 am
Last Post: Annik
  Your Personal Hell Deluxe Cinjin 35 13844 December 22, 2011 at 11:31 pm
Last Post: Rokcet Scientist
  Why Religion is corrupt (on a personal note) WWLD 44 17442 February 7, 2009 at 12:54 pm
Last Post: chatpilot
  My personal experience with Pentecostalism chatpilot 4 2127 January 24, 2009 at 12:52 pm
Last Post: chatpilot