Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 2:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Kind of Photons are Used to Create Positron-Electron Pairs?
What Kind of Photons are Used to Create Positron-Electron Pairs?
We have established that photons are used in a particle collider to create e-p pairs. we have also established that once created, if these pairs come together they annihilate each other and gamma rays are the product of this annihilation.

but gamma rays are, to my understanding, a type of photon. so what type of photon is used to create the pair?
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: What Kind of Photons are Used to Create Positron-Electron Pairs?
Gamma rays.

Works both ways.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I love it when you talk dirty.
I feel unclean . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I'm on the phone, so I'm gonna let uncle k take care of this...

As far as I'm aware there's only one kind of photons... But they are grouped according to the photon's energy.
Microwaves, infrared, visible, ultraviolet, x-rays, gamma rays, cosmic waves
(January 23, 2016 at 8:59 pm)pocaracas Wrote: I'm on the phone, so I'm gonna let uncle k take care of this...

As far as I'm aware there's only one kind of photons... But they are grouped according to the photon's energy.

Yes, those are the 7 frequencies of photons I’m looking for. It would add a new dimension to my novel if as, vorlon says, gamma rays are involved in the creation as well as the annihilation of particle pairs.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

--Voltaire

(January 24, 2016 at 12:47 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote:
(January 23, 2016 at 8:59 pm)pocaracas Wrote: I'm on the phone, so I'm gonna let uncle k take care of this...

Yes, those are the 7 frequencies of photons I’m looking for. It would add a new dimension to my novel if as, vorlon says, gamma rays are involved in the creation as well as the annihilation of particle pairs.

vorlon13 is correct. Also, a photon's energy is dependent on its wavelength. The "7 frequencies" you are referring are actually a broad range that cover many actual frequencies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_spectrum
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
Frequency is a continuum, these 7 categories are arbitrary definitions and do not reflect anything like separate kinds of particle in nature. All you need for pair production is enough juice, so... The energy of the two photons together needs to be greater than 1.022 Megaelectronvolts. Photons of such high energies are often called gamma particles, but that's just a name for photons with lots of juice. In particular, the same photon can have completely different energies for different observers depending on how fast they move, so it is not a well defined property.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Thanks, The plot thickens.

--Voltaire

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are Photons the Particle Associatid with the CMB? Rhondazvous 5 1161 September 9, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  How Many Bosons Would it Take to Create a False Vacuum? Rhondazvous 19 6348 June 19, 2017 at 10:01 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  God did not create any magnetic charges! Jehanne 7 1731 May 25, 2017 at 2:50 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Can a Positron be Turned into an Electron? Rhondazvous 14 2186 February 10, 2016 at 1:10 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Scientists Create never-before-seen Form of Matter AtheistCreed 10 4351 September 27, 2013 at 7:20 pm
Last Post: Mystical
  Duke U. scientists create invisibility cloak Jackalope 1 1152 November 12, 2012 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: Annik
  Stephen Hawking: God was not needed to create the universe DiRNiS 29 10879 September 12, 2010 at 9:44 am
Last Post: solja247