Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
List the harmful effects of religion ?
List the harmful effects of religion ?
Alright i have been thinking a lot lately and i have now been tempted to tolerate the existence of religion because it does provide a sense of happiness to many people, and eases their pain when a loved one dies, since they believe they will see them in Heaven. Ignorant bliss, but bliss nonetheless. Also it does provide a moral standard that is quite acceptable, i do not think anyone can claim Jesus' message is immoral.

So to counterbalance these doubts i need to have some kind of quantification of what religion has done. But to add a twist, except of listing the ones we know most about, such as the Crusades, the pedophilia and the Inquisition, let us try to find ones that we hear less about, but are no less dangerous. I'll start:

In Europe, religion controlled all the education for a millenia. You think creationists are bad ? Imagine if they controlled completely all education, for 1000 years, trying to keep any kind of progress away from society so they could keep their business afloat. Oh, and killing and shutting up scientists, retarding all the modern progress for a few hundred years.

Also in Europe, the Theatrical arts were shunned by the Church, as were most kinds of arts anyways...an actor could not even be allowed to be buried in a cemetary. So for, again, a millenia, countless masterpieces of culture have been destroyed or have been stopped from being created because of this oppression.
RE: List the harmful effects of religion ?
(July 10, 2010 at 4:56 am)Rwandrall Wrote: Alright i have been thinking a lot lately and i have now been tempted to tolerate the existence of religion because it does provide a sense of happiness to many people, and eases their pain when a loved one dies, since they believe they will see them in Heaven. Ignorant bliss, but bliss nonetheless. Also it does provide a moral standard that is quite acceptable, i do not think anyone can claim Jesus' message is immoral.

So to counterbalance these doubts i need to have some kind of quantification of what religion has done. But to add a twist, except of listing the ones we know most about, such as the Crusades, the pedophilia and the Inquisition, let us try to find ones that we hear less about, but are no less dangerous. I'll start:

In Europe, religion controlled all the education for a millenia. You think creationists are bad ? Imagine if they controlled completely all education, for 1000 years, trying to keep any kind of progress away from society so they could keep their business afloat. Oh, and killing and shutting up scientists, retarding all the modern progress for a few hundred years.

Also in Europe, the Theatrical arts were shunned by the Church, as were most kinds of arts anyways...an actor could not even be allowed to be buried in a cemetary. So for, again, a millenia, countless masterpieces of culture have been destroyed or have been stopped from being created because of this oppression.

Bible promotes Evil is one of the harmful effects

http://www.evilbible.com/
How about this one:-

The believer in the afterlife has less to fear from death. This means it is possible to create a suicide bomber. In the event that I had to be rescued for fear of death. I would trust a beliver less than an atheist to make every effort to save me because the Atheist knows that this is all there is and death is the end.
"Blasphemy! Blas for you! Blas for everybody in the room!" - Eddie Izzard
Strattosphere -

I believe that there is no such thing as death. You believe that there is, and that there is only 1 life, and 1 death.

From that :

I believe that whatever I do now affects my next life, and therefore, there are consequences for any evil thing that I might do. You believe that you can do evil and that it doesn't matter as there are no consequences.

From that :

I am careful not to do evil. You aren't.

From that :

I'm not dangerous. You are.

See what I did there? I took my and your initial view, and then followed on from it. In doing so, I accurately described my true, individual, views on doing evil, and I lied about yours. Here's another example, in reverse :

I believe that I can do evil, and it doesn't matter as I'll always get another chance. You take great care to only do good, as your only life is all you have, so you may aswell be the best that you can be.

From that :

I'm dangerous. You're not.

This could be done all day. All you have to do is start with the initial view, and go in one direction after another. Which one is true? It depends on the individual. What you're doing is taking one very specific combination and claiming it to apply to all who hold the initial view.
There are many evil things you can do that the bible agrees with actually.

EvF
EvF -

Yes but how many people don't do them, compared to those who do?
Irrelevant to the fact that the book they actually are supposed to follow says they should do it. The fact that many cherry-pick and ignore the nasty parts just demonstrates the fact that they favour the placebo effect and blissful ignorance over rationality. That they favour biased personal preference in belief over consistency in belief.

EvF
EvF -

Exactly, they cherry pick. They choose to do the good things that the bible says, and they ignore the bad things. Most religious people, for that very reason, are not harmful.
It would be much easier to list the positive effects of religion!
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
(July 10, 2010 at 6:57 am)strattosphere Wrote: In the event that I had to be rescued for fear of death. I would trust a beliver less than an atheist to make every effort to save me because the Atheist knows that this is all there is and death is the end.
A Christian would have a stronger motivation that an atheist to save you because if you died it would mean you would be subject to eternal punishment but if he saved your life there would be a chance that you might become a believer in Jesus and receive eternal life. If the believer were of some other religion this might not be the case and you might be better off depending on the atheist.
His invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.
Romans 1:20 ESV

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  List of religious forums viocjit 35 16544 May 11, 2021 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Reading List for EgoDeath Belacqua 9 1235 October 16, 2019 at 8:51 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  List of reasons to believe God exists? henryp 428 84229 January 21, 2018 at 2:56 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10729 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  List of people who have no interest in joining a religion, ever robvalue 97 11593 January 31, 2016 at 7:07 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4907 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Video The "Harmful Effects" Of Masturbation Mental Outlaw 49 9350 November 12, 2015 at 2:45 pm
Last Post: Iroscato
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19826 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Is Religion Harmful? Vegamo 13 2606 April 2, 2015 at 12:05 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  effects of religion jackriot100 10 1984 February 27, 2015 at 9:54 am
Last Post: Spooky