Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 1:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Odin and Jesus?
Odin and Jesus?
Hello, I have a question that both Christians and atheists are free to answer.

Today is a sad day for me. Really Sad.  Sad 

I was browsing through wikipedia and was reading about Norse mythology.

I read about Odin, and apparently he suffered a fate rather similar to that of Jesus of Nazareth.

Apparently, he "sacrificed" himself upon Yggdrasil (the world tree) for the sake of the betterment of mankind. Like Jesus, he too was wounded by a spear.

Observe the following prose...

"e I know that I hung on a windy tree, nine long nights,  wounded with a spear, dedicated to Odin,  myself to myself!! on that tree which no man knows from where its roots run."

Were the Norse in contact with Christians? Keep in mind that this story was only written in about 1000 A.D. Who is to say some Christian monk didn't plagiarize Odin's death with christs.

It just seems so tricky. thoughts please?
RE: Odin and Jesus?
[Image: 9c835c62f8072664e86b6726bf64c29f.jpg]
The dying, sacrificed (and sometimes rising again) gawd was OLD OLD OLD in the Mediterranean region thousands of years before Jesus.  You don't think his story was anything new, do you?
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
Most Norse gods end up dying at the end. It's not just Odin ...
All religions in the world are plagiarized from each other. It is vital that they do so if they don't want to lose followers to a rival religion.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(February 4, 2016 at 11:58 am)TrueChristian Wrote: I read about Odin, and apparently he suffered a fate rather similar to that of Jesus of Nazareth.

Apparently, he "sacrificed" himself upon Yggdrasil (the world tree) for the sake of the betterment of mankind. Like Jesus, he too was wounded by a spear.

Watch How it really happened. 

[url=http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1981115/?ref_=nv_sr_5][/url]
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
i believe the time of which the story was written has more to do with the fact that the pagan peoples usually didn't have a written language or thought that sacred teachings would be profaned if written. The myths and stories where likely handed down for generations.
As has already been said the sacrifice story is in many cultures before Christianity.
Odin didn't die. His purpose was to gain personal knowledge and power. For that he paid with nine days of agony and an eye. I don't see much in common with the Jesus myth.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(February 4, 2016 at 1:21 pm)Jenny A Wrote: Odin didn't die. His purpose was to gain personal knowledge and power.  For that he paid with nine days of agony and an eye. I don't see much in common with the Jesus myth.

Jesus didn't die. His purpose was to be the eternal ruler beside his dad. For that he paid with umm two/three-ish days of coma inside a cave and a few holes on his body. Yep, I don't see much in common with the Odin myth.

Tongue
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

You know the more I read Norse mythology the more I like it. It is perhaps my favorite mythology.

Celtic Mythology (Welsh, Irish etc.) just seems.. idk... too strange? A lot of people turned into animals for years at a time, hard to tell difference between "Gods" and powerful mortal/heroes. Also, too much xtian influence.

I do like classical mythology but the Gods seem somewhat crueller toward humans than the Norse ones, and more likely to engage in pedophilia... so another strike against them..

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jesus and Mary, In Catholicism and Islam Ahriman 32 1929 August 25, 2021 at 7:21 am
Last Post: Ahriman
  Odin is better than jesus Baalzebutt 40 10380 April 19, 2013 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Jesus is trying to tell me something; what is it Jesus? TruthWorthy 32 13207 February 5, 2010 at 9:20 am
Last Post: Dotard