Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You're not so Godless.
You're not so Godless.
The illusion of a "Godless" journey through life is so fragile in its core, that is; cracks can appear so easily with the slightest thought or behavior analysis.
Every bit of human body, the word "human" itself, is nothing more but a group of functions existing to serve: thus we, are nothing but the same biological organism  that is surviving -ironically- via self inflicted services, which are given to the body since birth.

We cannot even comprehend the idea of independence: everything to us -by default- is defined with the same image -that is us-: a client being served; a cause and effect. 
If worship is -in its core- a service, then how is an atheist considered to be a "Godless" human being?

Isn't it more accurate to describe the person's God, as him/herself, his/her nation, his/her government?
If somebody spent all of their lives "worshiping" themselves and claiming to be "atheists", wouldn't that tell us that there are no true atheists?

Consider whatever holy, and spend them years building it up obsessively; and here you go: that's your God. 

Humans are made to worship. Made to serve. 
Atheism might be defined more accurately with it being the lack of belief in a certain "God(s)", but not all Gods. Every person has a God after all. Nobody is Godless.
RE: You're not so Godless.
Wrong. I've lived my entire life without any god or gods. This includes stressful times, like 2 years, 3 months and fourteen days in a combat zone, and the months in hospital immediately after that.

You're weak, you need a god, that's fine. But YOU'RE weak, not WE'RE weak. Get that straight.
Jesus christ not another theist telling us what atheism means.  No, Atlass, it wouldn't be more accurate.  If a person tells you they don't believe in gods, they don't believe in gods.   Perhaps -you- can't comprehend independence, but that's hardly surprising.   Perhaps -you- imagine that you would need a "god replacement", but that's hardly surprising.

You, may have been made a slave. Some of us were more fortunate.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 14, 2016 at 10:23 am)AtlasS33 Wrote: The illusion of a "Godless" journey through life is so fragile in its core, that is; cracks can appear so easily with the slightest thought or behavior analysis.
Every bit of human body, the word "human" itself, is nothing more but a group of functions existing to serve: thus we, are nothing but the same biological organism  that is surviving -ironically- via self inflicted services, which are given to the body since birth.

We cannot even comprehend the idea of independence: everything to us -by default- is defined with the same image -that is us-: a client being served; a cause and effect. 
If worship is -in its core- a service, then how is an atheist considered to be a "Godless" human being?

You are absolutely begging the question by using the word "serve" for natural phenomena. You put in the assumption of higher purpose, and get out the same. But even granting that, you make a fundamental logic mistake.

Logic 101

Premise A: Bodily functions are a type of service

Premise B: Worship of God is a type of service

From this it does *not* follow that bodily functions are worship of God. This is the classic example gone wrong

A: All men are mortal
B: Socrates is a man
Therefore Socrates is mortal

is correct

A: All men are mortal
B: Socrates is mortal
Therefore all men are Socrates

is wrong.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

As a social species, it can be difficult to obtain true independence. That doesn't mean we need to serve each other. A properly functioning system has everyone on equal footing. Checks and balances to keep those with power from becoming authoritarian and oppressive. That's what happens every time someone in charge ignores checks and balances.

Now if you want to spread the word worship to the point where you consider atheists "worshiping themselves", then the word loses its meaning. No one should be on a pedestal so high that they are worshiped. If someone values themself so much above others, then we just call that being selfish. If they inflict rules on others that they don't also abide by, it's hipocracy. It isn't worship.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(March 14, 2016 at 10:23 am)AtlasS33 Wrote: Isn't it more accurate to describe the person's God, as him/herself, his/her nation, his/her government?
If somebody spent all of their lives "worshiping" themselves and claiming to be "atheists", wouldn't that tell us that there are no true atheists?

No. Sure, you can do that, but then you dilute the concept of God to be almost meaningless. Atheists as they are usually defined, do not believe in God in the sense of a personal all powerful creator figure. They can worship whatever actually existing thing they want and still be true atheists in that sense. If I'd worship my stereo system because it's so great, that doesn't change a thing about me being an atheist in any sensible sense of the word.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I have to agree.
When I was younger I used to worship the pussy.
I would go out all night faithfully praying to it and bowing down whenever I had the chance.
More often than not, I would convert by the end of the night and end up worshipping the toilet bowl.
That OP sure uses a lot of words just to say "argument from ignorance".
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I don't worship anyone, as I made clear in my last video. Worship is creepy. You may be programmed to worship, I most certainly am not.

If you have to relabel everything to try and force atheists to not be atheists, you have fun with that.

One thing you're right about: god can mean anything. So it means nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59GTo1olwYA
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Nope.
And even if a deity would actually show up and prove its existence, then it would also have to prove that it was worthy of worship.  None of the thousands of deities that humankind has invented have ever met that criteria.
[Image: we-are-all-atheists-about-most-of-the-go...awkins.jpg]
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  godless pro-lifers Max_Kolbe 85 18792 October 15, 2013 at 3:08 pm
Last Post: Cinjin
  United Athians Guild: Finding Peace in the Godless Soul AthianGuildmaster 17 5399 January 14, 2013 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: Napoléon
  Why choose to say 'godless' and not say 'i don't know'? savethedreams 22 6623 April 19, 2010 at 1:20 pm
Last Post: Paul the Human
  Godless Fundamentalists theblindferrengi 10 4742 March 17, 2010 at 8:57 am
Last Post: Dotard
  Godless photos Autumnlicious 101 33178 February 4, 2010 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: theVOID
  SciAm: Darwin on a Godless Creation: "It's like confessing to a murder" leo-rcc 1 2701 February 16, 2009 at 6:55 am
Last Post: Kyuuketsuki
  Godless Christmas in London Tiberius 1 2992 September 11, 2008 at 5:11 pm
Last Post: Ace Otana