Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:55 am

Poll: Should I stick with this gimmick?
This poll is closed.
Stick with "The Married Atheist"
27.27%
3 27.27%
Keep looking for another gimmick
9.09%
1 9.09%
Just be yourself and forget all gimmicks
54.55%
6 54.55%
Game over man, get off my interwebz
9.09%
1 9.09%
Total 11 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Married Atheist: yay or nay?
Thank you to everyone who has been following my videos. It would be great to have a little feedback at this stage. I've now done 3 videos as "The Married Atheist", and I'm wondering whether this gimmick is worth sticking with. "The Angry Atheist" was OK, but not original enough, and sudden random acts of anger tend to appear in TMA anyway Tongue

So what do you think? Should I pursue this persona, keep looking for another one, forget having a gimmick at all, or pack it in and go home?

Many thanks! I'll put the 3 videos below for reference. You can find my whole youtube channel here. I intend to make more playlists on there to make my videos easier to access. I've got probably 40+ videos now of random shit. I hope all my videos can be seen easily this way, please let me know if they cannot.

When I grow up, I'd love to be an atheist Youtuber Big Grin I'm 50% there. And obviously, if I start making a concentrated effort to be taken seriously, I will invest in more equipment and add production values to my videos. Right now money and energy are barriers, but things are tentatively looking up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvPeaSezHsE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV3WPyp8WmU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDJdixyiauA
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
RE: The Married Atheist: yay or nay?
I apologize for the disgusting sound quality as I'm improvising a way of getting it onto the forum...

Here's a ditty I knocked up as a potential theme tune, at Alex's suggestion!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBO7BuAzCQA
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
I think you should continue to do it, if it is making you happy and you enjoy doing it. If you can turn it into a profit making system through YT, then go for it!

My daughter watches GMM (Good Mythical Morning), as do I and I researched those guys. They have their own website as well as a store where they sell GMM items. Last time I looked, they were worth over $7 million. A lot of hard work goes into what they do, but I'm quite sure they are both really enjoying it at the same time. Otherwise, they wouldn't be doing it. Big Grin

Who knows, you might find yourself entering a whole new world with your videos and you may end up having an online store where you sell TMA products as well. Check out GMM and you'll see what I mean.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
Thanks very much for the feedback Smile

I am doing it mainly because I enjoy it very much, I want to share more of myself with you guys, and with the hope that my videos might help someone, somewhere. Even if it's just by raising a smile!

I was wondering if people like the stupid wife joke, I think it's quite funny but I'm not always the best judge Big Grin

Index of my best videos
TBH, I think you should just go with RobValue or your actual name. You can put tags on your videos that way people searching for "atheism" or "atheist" will get to you, and also you are begging the question a little. People are going to want to see your wife at some point... Tongue

If you watch a lot of people's channels, you'll see that most of them don't have a theme song intro at all. They have a opening greeting, (Tyler Oakley, Miranda Sings, Mamrie Hart) or at most an animated thing saying their name (Thatcher Joe, Grace Helbig, Connor Franta, Superfruit), sometimes after a cold open. That seems to be the successful model.

Me, I prefer the name animation - particularly Connor Franta's or Thatcher Joe's. It's simple, minimal, and not distracting or requiring a ton of production.
A good example (5.3 million subscribers)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-6ggWp0KdU

Or this: (6.3 million subs)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlhAJBDu4Rc
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
She's not here right now! Tongue

That's great advice Steel, thank you! I shall give it some thought Smile

Index of my best videos
Rob! I think it would be helpful if you started a thread here titled "married atheist" (or whatever you wanted to call it, of course). That way all your videos would be in one place for easy reference. Sometimes I see one and note to watch it later but it gets lost in the feed. If you have already done this then I just made myself look like a complete idiot, and I'm sorry!
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
That's a good idea, thank you Smile

No I haven't done this yet. That would probably be helpful for all! I could include all the videos I've done that I think are of some consequence.

Index of my best videos
I do agree that you should just be yourself but in my opinion RobValue sounds better and more catchy.
From a neutral point of view, the videos you have done have already been covered by well known atheist youtubers.

The example videos above are so popular because they are unique or they were simply there first before the others.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video The Married Atheist vid: Morality from science? robvalue 5 2026 March 19, 2016 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Married to a Christian Galileo 58 14108 January 11, 2012 at 9:24 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger