Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 2:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Default' religion...
'Default' religion...
What is ‘default’ religion?? Let me explain… a son or a daughter is born into a family. If there are already religious roots then it is widely agreed that the child will be raised in it and taught the values and rules therein. Now lets fast forward 15 years…the child is discovering life and learning, but is handicapped because the world is filtered through this lens of generational belief. They struggle venturing out in life because of a fear of letting family down… letting their religion down… and ultimately letting his/herself down…. Most people will argue that they really do believe in it, and also most will go so far as to say that they are ‘right’, that there is NO OTHER way...There can be no other way but what mom/dad and the church have taught them. This is fatally flawed. As North Americans, we can all agree that we ‘consider’ ourselves to be a Christian nation…but what about a child raised in a Muslim family overseas… he/she he feels the same fears and loyalty that our other imaginary child dealt with. He/she believes that their way is correct as well. So who is right?? Now multiply this by how many religions there are in the world...Who is right?? Now before you answer this, put away any pride and arrogance that so often motivates answers to these questions… people do not want to think that they have been wrong, or lied to for so long…SO…WHO IS RIGHT? Are you right?? Really? I want you to read this WIKI article on a psychology study called “Cognitive Dissonance”…

Cognitive Dissonance

So if you are right, then that means all the others (millions and millions!) who do not share your beliefs are wrong,and will therefore suffer whatever your religion teaches to be the punishment for unbelief. See how messed up and ignorant this is??
RE: 'Default' religion...
Yes. It's very messed up and very ignorant. What cognitive dissonance are you referring to though? They all believe they're right.
(July 23, 2010 at 2:18 pm)rattleshock Wrote: As North Americans, we can all agree that we ‘consider’ ourselves to be a Christian nation.

Not all of us. North America is not a nation, first of all. As a citizen of the U.S. I do not consider us a Christian nation. We are a nation of religious freedom that happens to have a majority Christian population. Big difference.
In principle the US is a secular nation.... in practice it often seems less so. Sad.
(July 23, 2010 at 2:18 pm)rattleshock Wrote: What is ‘default’ religion??

There is no such thing. All religions are cults. All religions require indoctrination and brainwashing.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
I meant the 'Christian nation' term loosely and tongue in cheek... It has been the offical bespoke heritage of our country... that is all I meant. Smile
Indeed. A lot of people (Christians one and all) like to claim we are a Christian nation... as if the First Amendment of the Constitution doesn't exist.
@Paladin...What I mean by 'default' is that when you are raised in a religious home, you are by 'default' indoctrined into those beliefs. And whenever I have the discussion with people on wether or not they "REALLY" believe, I always point out that they never had a clear choice to begin with.From day 1 you they polluted with the Christian dogma garbage. So to claim that Christian is 'right' is arrogant to say the least. Unless in a clear untampered unbiased state, you were able to choose from all the religions, you have been 'defaulted'. (I do not believe in god, but sometimes I use the stance of 'well how do you know this other religion is not right' so as to make a point).... I love this place already... Smile
Quote:If we had opened our eyes to the light under the shadows
of St. Peter's at Rome, we should have been devout Catholics; born in the
Jewish quarter of Aleppo, we should have contemned Christ as an
imposter; in Constantinople, we should have cried "Allah il Allah, God is
great and Mahomet is his prophet!" Birth, place, and education give us our
faith. Few believe in any religion because they have examined the
evidences of its authenticity, and made up a formal judgment, upon
weighing the testimony. Not one man in ten thousand knows anything
about the proofs of his faith. We believe what we are taught; and those are
most fanatical who know least of the evidences on which their creed is
based.