Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saudi Arabia strips religious police of arresting power
Saudi Arabia strips religious police of arresting power
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/04/sa...18824.html

"Saudi Arabia has stripped its religious forces of their powers to arrest, urging them to act "kindly and gently" in enforcing Islamic rules.

Under changes approved by the Saudi cabinet on Wednesday, religious officers will no longer be allowed to detain people and instead must report violators to police or drug squad officers, the official Saudi Press Agency said.

Officers of the Haia force, also known as the Mutawaa, must "carry out the duties of encouraging virtue and forbidding vice by advising kindly and gently" under the new rules, it reported.

"Neither the heads nor members of the Haia are to stop or arrest or chase people or ask for their IDs or follow them - that is considered the jurisdiction of the police or the drug unit," the regulations say.
"

It's a start... Clap
RE: Saudi Arabia strips religious police of arresting power
That's a very good start! Bravo.

They've a long way to go, but I'm certainly not going to knock progress. Maybe a baby step towards a less religiously dominated country.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I know no one expects the Inquisition, but this comes as a surprise.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Hell, where will this slouching towards liberalism end ?

Next thing you know they will administering a topical anesthetic before beheading someone.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I note the rapprochement between the US and Cuba has resulted in an increase in arrests of Cuban dissidents. I can't help but think the religious police having more time to report infractions (since they are spending less time beating violators) might result in an increase of arrests for offending Allah.

Damn, that Allah dude has fragile fragile feelings, don't he ?
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

This surprises the heck out of me, though it has been almost 25 years since I was there.

Unlike most people, I actually smile at the thought of Mutawaa. That's because one of the British Aerospace guys I knew beat the crap out of one of them. Knocked him out with one punch and then proceeded to pummel him on the ground. He was at the end of a 5-year contract there and had definitely had his fill of all things Saudi, lol.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
(April 14, 2016 at 11:52 am)vorlon13 Wrote: I note the rapprochement between the US and Cuba has resulted in an increase in arrests of Cuban dissidents.  I can't help but think the religious police having more time to report infractions (since they are spending less time beating violators) might result in an increase of arrests for offending Allah.

Damn, that Allah dude has fragile fragile feelings, don't he ?

It seems that the more power you have, the more offended you get when people disagree with you. so of course this applies to gods, who might make questioning them one of the biggest crimes there is.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Unlike Christopher Moltisanti, God can't do the retribution Himself.

Quote:"Saudi Arabia has stripped its religious forces of their powers to arrest, urging them to act "kindly and gently" in enforcing Islamic rules.

How do you kindly and gently chop off someone's head?
or stone them

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Palestinian Man’s Lawyers Say Israeli Police Marked Him With Star of David WinterHold 8 664 August 23, 2023 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Performers Should Speak Up or Not Attend Saudi Music Festival WinterHold 9 588 December 15, 2021 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Defunding Police not working out. onlinebiker 51 2597 October 1, 2021 at 11:12 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Columbus Police Shooting onlinebiker 43 2799 April 25, 2021 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  [Serious] Biden on punishing MBS and Saudi Arabia WinterHold 27 2434 March 23, 2021 at 10:31 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Please Justify This Police Action For Me BrianSoddingBoru4 251 18276 February 5, 2021 at 10:00 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  German Nuclear Power Phaseout Alex K 22 1634 January 31, 2021 at 8:41 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Saudi journalist killed and hacked inside Saudi embassy in Istanbul WinterHold 333 27768 January 16, 2021 at 6:26 pm
  [Serious] G-20 leaders, don’t forget the women’s rights advocates rotting in Saudi prisons WinterHold 47 2172 September 23, 2020 at 6:26 am
  BREAKING: Trump Boasted Of Saving Saudi Prince Over Jamal Khashoggi Killing WinterHold 16 1091 September 13, 2020 at 12:38 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire