Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 4:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you .... ?
Would you .... ?
I just watched a documentary about an American officer lining his pockets with German artefacts after the war. Now there's a quote by one of our famous poets, Johann Wolfgang von Goethe: There's no crime I wouldn't commit under the right circumstances.

Now, being honest to myself, I couldn't resist tempation, if it's rubbed right under my nose. Being a made man, just by bending the rules a little bit and sending home some packages of unknown origin. I certainly would have embraced the opportunity, if it presented itself so openly.

What would you do? Be honest now, would you resist tempatation? And keep the enemy part out of it, since it's just a ways to wiggle out of the moral dilemma.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
RE: Would you .... ?
I'd throw the current timeline in the shitter to get Brian back.

So, everyone born after the mid 1980s is going to be a different or nonexistent person.

Sux to be the rest of you. I will light a candle or something
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

"I can resist anything except temptation."

I'd like to think that I'd be above it, and I've been in situations where I could have profited from doing something underhand but didn't and then felt cheated. In this situation? I honestly don't know. I think I'd be eaten up with guilt over it though; maybe enough to make me put things right later.

[Eta] I would burn the Universe just to get a single second with my Sam, though. Kinda overturns everything I just said, really, doesn't it?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I don't know what I would do and considering that such situation is likely to happen I must live with such uncertainty.
The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.

The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.

Socrates.
I can't see myself stealing anything, let alone war plunder. Not setting myself up as a great moral example or anything, it was just instilled in me from a very early age that those things which are not yours are always, barring freely given gifts, going to be not yours.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(April 30, 2016 at 12:45 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I can't see myself stealing anything, let alone war plunder.  Not setting myself up as a great moral example or anything, it was just instilled in me from a very early age that those things which are not yours are always, barring freely given gifts,  going to be not yours.

Boru

Yeah, it was instilled in me too. But still, I would, being honest with myself. To be clear, I wouldn never rob some grandmother or someone striving to earn their money, but I find myself seriously lacking when it comes to goods not being the livelihood of any particular individual.
It depends so much on the situation.  It depends on the value of the artifacts, what knowledge I have of the people being stolen from, the chances of me being caught, how rich I am.

If the value was a lot, the people who owned the artifacts were likely to be dead or far away or they were just known as being bad people, if I was poor, or even not that rich, and I found a few gold coins or something that no one was going to miss, then yes I would steal them.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

(April 30, 2016 at 1:29 pm)paulpablo Wrote: It depends so much on the situation.  It depends on the value of the artifacts, what knowledge I have of the people being stolen from, the chances of me being caught, how rich I am.

It was the treasure of the dome of Quedlinburg. A king's ransom. And the guy knew very well about the value of what he was pinching, since he was a student of the history of arts.
Of course, I would.
Meh not interested in old timey artefacts, nor in profit at the cost of moral anguish
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Would you still cook if you diddn't have to? Angrboda 41 2184 October 30, 2023 at 3:40 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Where would you go if you could? Brian37 24 2063 August 18, 2021 at 6:56 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Who would you rely on to help you out? Cod 18 1333 January 8, 2019 at 6:36 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  What would you do if you woke up one day to find you were the last person alive? Edwardo Piet 64 16434 October 16, 2017 at 7:25 pm
Last Post: c172
  What would you do if you could remember every single moment in your life? c172 11 2467 October 13, 2017 at 5:46 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  What would you do if you found out I didn't exist? Edwardo Piet 4 815 October 7, 2017 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
Question Do you think someone would pay you for sex? Losty 184 14999 May 17, 2016 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: AkiraTheViking
  If you could remove your need for sleep, would you? Ashground 31 3802 November 12, 2015 at 6:08 am
Last Post: Reforged
  How would you react to a gay person who found you TOTALLY repulsive ? vorlon13 294 27147 September 30, 2015 at 7:42 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Would you be flattered if a gay person said they fancied you? emjay 131 16646 September 28, 2015 at 1:47 pm
Last Post: Whateverist