Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 2:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why shouldn't I vote Trump?
Why shouldn't I vote Trump?
I've been an avid Bernie supporter, but with him out of the race (I hate to admit it, but it's true) why should I vote for a center-right corporate shill that won't change anything and will just keep the same bs policies in place?

Donald Trump agrees with Bernie on trade, and prior to his campaigning has said he wants a single payer healthcare system, and that Republicans can't take away the social programs and expect to win. He's said a lot of other very progressive things, things more progressive than Hillary. It's only while he's been running that he's said things to appeal to the dumb dumbs of this country, like banning Muslims and building a wall and making Mexico pay for it. I don't buy that, he's just saying that shit for the crowd. Sure I don't like what he had to say about privatizing SSI, as that shit doesn't work in all the countries that tried it. That however is only one small issue I have with the real Trump. Will he nominate a conservative SCOTUS judge or so, maybe but I don't really know. 

Trump is a Republican, but he's a very liberal Republican, which is something you don't see very much today. Maybe he can bring back some sense to the party, or maybe he could destroy it. Either one of those would be good. 

So the question that I'm asking you today, is why should I vote for Hillary over Trump? Hillary hasn't accomplished much, she's voted on racist legislation, she doesn't have much integrity, and she can be bought. Trump on the other hand has gone from having at most $40,000,000 to at least $300,000,000 dollars. Any way you slice it, that is an accomplishment. Trump can't be bought because he already has a lot of money. As for integrity, well, sure he evades taxes and has bought politicians like Hillary, but other than that, what has he really done that's so terrible? I mean he's thrown a few fits over some real estate deals that he couldn't reach and tried to take over some farm land and stuff. His university may be a bit of a scam, maybe. Is there anything else though? 

Both Hillary and Trump know how to play the system to get what they want. The difference is, Trump knows more about the private sector than most politicians, including Hillary. This means he knows what will be good for business and what won't be. He might be able to bring back employment for Americans, where as Hillary will continue to support trade deals that ship them over seas, and make the working class of this country compete with people making pennies an hour. Trump on the other hand wants a 35% tax rate on foreign goods, specifically on imported cars. Considering it's the automotive industry that employs a great deal of people in this country, we certainly need to prevent those jobs from leaving to Mexico.

I really hate to say this, but I'm leaning towards voting for Trump.
RE: Why shouldn't I vote Trump?
He's a fucking racist moron and one of those billionaires that Sanders was talking about.

I guess you'll have to decide.
You label yourself as an anti-theist. I'll assume you like having a separation between church and state. Kiss it goodbye if Trump is elected. Scalia will get replaced with another ultra conservative and Ginsburg will probably be next. Get used to 10 Commandment monuments in court houses, faculty-led school prayer, more and more of these so-called religious freedom laws which are government-approved discrimination laws.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
You've obviously put some thought into this and that's a good thing, no matter who you're voting for.
I'm pissed that Bernie didn't get the nomination - it's almost like it was a pre-determined outcome. I voted for him in my state's primary last Tuesday even though it was reported a day or two before that Mrs. Clinton had the nomination sewn up.

The problem with Trump is that how do you know when he's telling the truth. His campaign website today says he will move to repeal the Affordable Care Act - also known as Obamacare - and replace it with a healthcare system that follows "free market principles". So which is it - single payer healthcare or free market healthcare? Which one does he want and how do you know he's being truthful with his answer? Also, before Obamacare, we had essentially free market healthcare. That didn't work out so well. I like that insurance companies now can't deny policy holders health care or boot off policy holders for pre-existing conditions and I like that health checkups and preventive care must be fully covered by my policy.
Also, how does anyone know how much Donald Trump is worth? He refuses to release his tax returns - why? He said he can't release them because he's being audited but that's false - he can release tax returns that are currently under audit. If he's worth so much money, why is he hiding this info? Probably because he's not worth that much or he doesn't pay any taxes.
There was a front page story on the NY Times yesterday (I'm still new here and I don't think I can post links yet). It details his business dealings through the 80s, 90s and 00s - and it shows him to be just another shady businessman who buys businesses, plunders them for all the money he can squeeze out and then sells at a loss, leaving shareholders and everyday workers in the lurch.

I'm voting for Mrs. Clinton because she wants to overturn Citizens United, she wants to make the wealthy fat cats pay their fair share in taxes, she wants immigration reform, she'll protect organizations like Planned Parenthood from attack and she'll be a line of defense against the religious nutters who want to ban birth control and abortion, she agrees climate change is an urgent threat, and the gun lobby fears her - which is a good thing.

The good news is there are still a few months left until the election to decide but make sure you are fact-checking the sources you are using to make a decision.
(June 13, 2016 at 9:24 pm)Minimalist Wrote: He's a fucking racist moron and one of those billionaire's that Sanders was talking about.

I guess you'll have to decide.

Islam is a religion, and Mexico is a nationality. Neither of these things are races, therefore, by definition, he isn't a racist.
(June 13, 2016 at 9:46 pm)AFTT47 Wrote: You label yourself as an anti-theist. I'll assume you like having a separation between church and state. Kiss it goodbye if Trump is elected. Scalia will get replaced with another ultra conservative and Ginsburg will probably be next. Get used to 10 Commandment monuments in court houses, faculty-led school prayer, more and more of these so-called religious freedom laws which are government-approved discrimination laws.

A lot of that seems like liberal fear mongering. I doubt the guy is even a Christian, and have high doubts that he will get rid of the wall between church and state. At most he'll just leave it up to the states.
(June 13, 2016 at 9:47 pm)Tres Leches Wrote: You've obviously put some thought into this and that's a good thing, no matter who you're voting for.
I'm pissed that Bernie didn't get the nomination - it's almost like it was a pre-determined outcome. I voted for him in my state's primary last Tuesday even though it was reported a day or two before that Mrs. Clinton had the nomination sewn up.

The problem with Trump is that how do you know when he's telling the truth. His campaign website today says he will move to repeal the Affordable Care Act - also known as Obamacare - and replace it with a healthcare system that follows "free market principles". So which is it - single payer healthcare or free market healthcare? Which one does he want and how do you know he's being truthful with his answer? Also, before Obamacare, we had essentially free market healthcare. That didn't work out so well. I like that insurance companies now can't deny policy holders health care or boot off policy holders for pre-existing conditions and I like that health checkups and preventive care must be fully covered by my policy.
Also, how does anyone know how much Donald Trump is worth? He refuses to release his tax returns - why? He said he can't release them because he's being audited but that's false - he can release tax returns that are currently under audit. If he's worth so much money, why is he hiding this info? Probably because he's not worth that much or he doesn't pay any taxes.
There was a front page story on the NY Times yesterday (I'm still new here and I don't think I can post links yet). It details his business dealings through the 80s, 90s and 00s - and it shows him to be just another shady businessman who buys businesses, plunders them for all the money he can squeeze out and then sells at a loss, leaving shareholders and everyday workers in the lurch.

I'm voting for Mrs. Clinton because she wants to overturn Citizens United, she wants to make the wealthy fat cats pay their fair share in taxes,  she wants immigration reform, she'll protect organizations like Planned Parenthood from attack and she'll be a line of defense against the religious nutters who want to ban birth control and abortion, she agrees climate change is an urgent threat, and the gun lobby fears her - which is a good thing.

The good news is there are still a few months left until the election to decide but make sure you are fact-checking the sources you are using to make a decision.

Yeah, it annoyed the fuck out of me how the media reported a Clinton win a day or so before the voting even took place.

I like at the things that Trump said before his campaign started. It's obvious that the rhetoric in his campaign is mostly just an appeal to the rednecks. That's why I've looked at his political views from the past. When he talks about free market principals, he's talking about allowing them to compete over state lines, which in Republican land will make the insurance companies magically lower their prices and cover everything. I don't agree with it, and I'm not so certain that Trump does either. The ACA does some good, but unless you're in poverty the ACA increases the rates of your insurance by quite a bit.

I've seen estimates of Trump's worth, and it goes from 1/4 billion dollars to 10 billion dollars. Either way, he has a lot of money. My guess is he stashes his cash in offshore accounts, like every other businessman.

Most businessmen are unethical in some way when it comes to running their business, especially ones worth that much. 

Yeah, Citizens United is an issue, Trump said he wanted the rich to pay more in taxes, I don't think Trump will be able to stop abortions even if he tries, the environment is an issue sure but a long term one, and Hillary wants to punish businesses that sell guns if their product is misused. Do we punish Ford if someone uses a car to run someone over? No. So I don't agree with that.
(June 13, 2016 at 9:56 pm)Mechaghostman2 Wrote:
(June 13, 2016 at 9:46 pm)AFTT47 Wrote: You label yourself as an anti-theist. I'll assume you like having a separation between church and state. Kiss it goodbye if Trump is elected. Scalia will get replaced with another ultra conservative and Ginsburg will probably be next. Get used to 10 Commandment monuments in court houses, faculty-led school prayer, more and more of these so-called religious freedom laws which are government-approved discrimination laws.

A lot of that seems like liberal fear mongering. I doubt the guy is even a Christian, and have high doubts that he will get rid of the wall between church and state. At most he'll just leave it up to the states.

You misunderstand. With the GOP stonewalling Scalia's replacement, it will be up to the winner to nominate his replacement, as well as probably Ginsburg. The repercussions of those two replacements will last for decades.

Bam. 6-3 conservative majority in the Supreme Court. Guess what happens then?

P.S. He's a fucking warmonger.
Because except for 7 votes in all the years Clinton and Bernie have had a say they voted exactly the same.
Because she has experience in government, decades of it.
Because the next POTUS picks the next 2 SCOTUS.
Because Donald's bad hair day is the equivalent of a century. Tongue

[Image: F9pWp03l.jpg?1]
Vote for whoever you like.

Personally I LOATHE the guy.

On the other hand, I don't think Hillary is a suitable candidate, either.

Personally, I think the lesser of two evils is still the best choice.
Dying to live, living to die.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earning the Vote FrustratedFool 111 4664 November 9, 2023 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Kevin McCarthy loses 6th vote for Speaker Brian37 111 5105 January 7, 2023 at 10:04 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Why Trump will win in 2024. Jehanne 237 20352 December 22, 2022 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  GOP's stranglehold on Cuban-American's vote. Brian37 19 1471 August 22, 2021 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Would you vote for a Scientologist? Fake Messiah 19 963 March 14, 2021 at 12:53 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Want to sell more guns? Vote ( D ) onlinebiker 145 7809 February 26, 2021 at 7:04 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Why you should fear Trump's pick for Supreme Court Judge Foxaèr 75 4225 October 31, 2020 at 10:52 am
Last Post: TaraJo
  Are more Trump signs indicative of Trump winning? Dingo 15 1063 October 1, 2020 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Lincoln Project/Vote Vets ad, featuring Sully..... Brian37 18 1343 September 30, 2020 at 3:58 am
Last Post: Sal
  Save The Vote - NOTA onlinebiker 18 767 September 29, 2020 at 6:39 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate