Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are the churches using atheists to gain more converts?
Are the churches using atheists to gain more converts?
This really interests me, I see all the debates happening in Christian churches with atheists and have a sneaky feeling that those churches are using the debates to get more converts? I personally hope this is back firing on the churches, so would appreciate any thoughts or examples either way ...

Is religion growing or decreasing in the USA?
Religion is the top shelf of the supernatural supermarket ... Madog
RE: Are the churches using atheists to gain more converts?
[Image: GallupNones.png]

The shit is dying out.
(June 18, 2016 at 1:34 pm)Minimalist Wrote: [Image: GallupNones.png]

The shit is dying out.

Wow, that is good news ....

What made me raise the issue is I see back street churches inviting big name atheists to debates ....

I saw Lawrence krauss who was very pissed off being put on stage with Stephen meyer, Krauss made it clear that he didn't appreciate being on stage with this intelligent design nutter as it was giving publicity to their crazy ideology ....
I'd like to see debates between various (incompatible) schisms of Christianity.

Jesus was crucified with 4 nails !!!

Fuck you blaspheming tool of SATAN, they used 3 goddamn NAILS !!!

With any luck at all, they'll convert everyone in the crowd to atheist.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(June 18, 2016 at 1:45 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: I'd like to see debates between various (incompatible) schisms of Christianity.

That would be interesting ... do they not publicly debate presently? any examples would be interesting to watch Smile
I don't see how any debate could win new converts since you have to already be plugged into a church to know/care about them taking place.
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
(June 18, 2016 at 1:48 pm)madog Wrote:
(June 18, 2016 at 1:45 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: I'd like to see debates between various (incompatible) schisms of Christianity.

That would be interesting ... do they not publicly debate presently? any examples would be interesting to watch Smile

Seems to be un-PC for the multitude of christian schismatics to get too public with their mutual dissensions.  Too much fucking ecumenism floating around.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(June 18, 2016 at 1:55 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: I don't see how any debate could win new converts since you have to already be plugged into a church to know/care about them taking place.

Yeah, I don't think these debates convince anyone of anything they didn't already believe anyway.

If they make any change, I'd think it would be pushing people who were on the brink of leaving over the edge when they see what a jackass they have on their team and how bad the arguments are.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(June 18, 2016 at 1:55 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: I don't see how any debate could win new converts since you have to already be plugged into a church to know/care about them taking place.

I am curious as to their motives ... I have no fixed opinion .... It may be just the Christian debater trying to get a foothold or make a name in the debating circle?

Are they after those that are curious enough to consider atheism? Are they trying to promote their brand/sect in the religious supermarket?

I don't trust the religious so I am suspicious of their intentions ...

As I said I am curious  Smile
I see it as the latest iteration of something churches have needed forever: an enemy to unite against. It's been D&D, rock music, satanists, witches, pagans... and now it's atheists.

They're not trying to gain more converts, though: the debates, like the apologetics books and the grandstanding christian screeds about how sad we all are, are just means of making the already-converted move secure and confident in their belief. It's literal preaching to the choir: in fact, sometimes you even pre-debate openers where the head organizer comes out and says this is so the believers can figure out how to better disagree with atheists... before the atheist has even made an argument, they've decided to dismiss it.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Using the word Spiritual Bahana 44 3660 October 4, 2018 at 9:24 pm
Last Post: Lek
  Do Christians really contribut to society more than atheists Asmodee 12 4473 June 27, 2018 at 1:19 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  How to argue using bullshit abstract terms I_am_not_mafia 23 6063 March 20, 2018 at 9:06 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2201 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  There are more American Atheists than we thought Aroura 26 8628 May 27, 2017 at 11:16 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Muslims are using this NASA video as proof that islam is true and that allah exists LetThereBeNoGod 10 3962 February 16, 2017 at 9:32 pm
Last Post: LetThereBeNoGod
  Atheist Churches phoenix31 53 4293 January 29, 2017 at 4:10 am
Last Post: maestroanth
  Christians are using this real nasa picture with a cross as proof of christianity... LetThereBeNoGod 31 4156 January 20, 2017 at 7:55 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Using the word "believe" wrong... maestroanth 8 2049 June 25, 2016 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: SteveII
  how do we as atheists feel about companies using customers to donate money? Yoplait 29 5229 June 10, 2015 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: Brian37