Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 10:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looks and success
Looks and success
If we speak scientifically, how important is it to look good in order to succeed in life? How big of a role does it play when it comes to getting peoples' attention, have people being nice to you, and success in general e.g having a higher chance of being accepted in a job interview because of what you look like etc. And if we do treat people better based on their looks, why?

To clarify, I don't necessarily mean consciously treating people better because of their looks but both on the subconscious and conscious level.

I'm generally considered a kind person but I don't know if this makes me a total dick but I can't help but notice that I treat some people better than someone else without being aware of it. I haven't given it much thought but I think a reason for that is their appearence. Also, I'm not a dick to people that I consider unattractive, just want to clarify that!

I'd appreciate if we don't have posts about "success is different for everyone". I've listed examples of what kind of success I'd like this thread to be about.
RE: Looks and success
In terms of getting people to be nice to you I'm sure it works really well to be good looking.

The only factor I can think that would be a negative for being good looking is jealousy, unwanted attention from overly aggressive people especially if you're female.

As for the positives I'm sure there's lots of jobs that explicitly require good looks and other jobs that don't say they require good looking people but 90 percent of the work force is suspiciously good looking.

You're probably more relaxed on average if you're good looking especially during school, it probably reduces the odds of being picked on, increases popularity with the opposite sex.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

RE: Looks and success
Being good looking is by nature socially advantageous. Undeniably.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Talking about looks RozKek 9 720 August 15, 2016 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
  Ebola vaccine looks promising abaris 9 2968 August 2, 2015 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  What DNA Actually Looks Like Rayaan 6 1605 December 2, 2012 at 3:16 pm
Last Post: Rayaan