Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Howdy
Howdy
Hi y'all
      I'm a 50 year old (that can't be true..) retired airline pilot, from the state everyone here seems to adore, Texas. I was raised a methodist, more or less. (My family seemed to attend church because...well, everyone attended church) By the age of 12 I had decided either God didn't exist or he was an incredibly arrogant, mean-spirited asshole. Of the two choices, I liked the lack of existence best. I have been through rough times, nearly died on 6 different occasions, had one of my daughters very nearly die from a car wreck that killed her best friend, and yet I have never waivered in my disbelief. I guess there is an atheist in this foxhole.
       I'm enjoying the forum, so far, but am surprised at how political it is. Guess that separation of church and state thing never really has worked out, huh? No surprise there.
     That being said, I seem to be in a state of political flux...brought about by all of the recent idiocy on both sides in US politics of late. I have always referred to myself as a conservative republican, out of habit, I guess. Now, frankly. I don't know what I am.
     First and foremost, I believe in freedom. Government is necessary but should be small and unobtrusive. I despise authority. Besides a civilian pilot I served as a pilot in the United States Air Force, first as an instructor pilot in T-37 and T-38 aircraft, and ultimately an F-5E/F15C fighter pilot, based at Nellis AFB with the 65th TFAS. I also served for 8 years as a Sheriff's Deputy here in Texas- airline schedules allowed me to do this concurrently. With this background, you wouldn't expect me to be anti-authority, but I am. Very much so.
     I guess I'm either a really bad conservative or an even worse liberal. I collect guns, as my father and grandfather did. I have a 300 yd range here on my ranch. I hunt, although only for meat- I despise trophy hunting. I'm an atheist. I believe in personal responsibility. I don't like welfare programs unless they are carefully monitored to weed out freeloaders. I am not at all racist, although I am guilty of prejudging people based on their clothes and attitudes- although I am open to changing my initial opinion. If you don't want to be mistaken for a gangbanger...don't dress like one.  
     I couldn't care less if money has "in god we trust" on it. I couldn't care less if the ten commandments hang in the courtroom. It's our history, I am not threatened by it.
     I can't, for the life of me, figure out why anyone cares who anyone else is in love with, or having sex with, or living with, or married to. That's just stupid.
     I have no opinion on the abortion issue. I'm not a woman.

Sorry for the length...I like to hear myself...err...type. Hope to get to know you all!

Cheers!

Things are a lot more like they used to be, than they are now. Cool
RE: Howdy
Hello there from hot-as-hell Arizona.
(July 22, 2016 at 11:47 am)Minimalist Wrote: Hello there from hot-as-hell Arizona.

Hell must be huge if it stretches from here to there...feels like the air is going to melt! Howdy Min!

Hiya Smile
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
(July 22, 2016 at 11:55 am)Nymphadora Wrote: Hiya Smile

Hi Nymph!

(July 22, 2016 at 11:49 am)Imaginaryfriendless Wrote:
(July 22, 2016 at 11:47 am)Minimalist Wrote: Hello there from hot-as-hell Arizona.

Hell must be huge if it stretches from here to there...feels like the air is going to melt! Howdy Min!

I no longer complain about it.  Summer is the price we pay for the other 8 months of the year.  I'll settle.  If I never see snow again I'll be a happy man.
Quote:I no longer complain about it.  Summer is the price we pay for the other 8 months of the year.  I'll settle.  If I never see snow again I'll be a happy man.
Agreed- I lived in Alaska for 6 years. Freaking GLORIOUS summers, 24 hour daylight, moderate temps, beautiful, great fishing. Winters were fun until about Christmas.From there through early march, temps -40 to -70f. Deep snow. Miserable.

Quote:I lived in Alaska for 6 years.

Could you see Russia from your front porch?
(July 22, 2016 at 12:25 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:I lived in Alaska for 6 years.

Could you see Russia from your front porch?

LOL...Practically. I was a pilot up there and used to fly a research team to little Diomede island, which is about 2 miles from big Diomede, which is Russian.

Welcome to the forums!

The fact that the forum is political might be due to the fact that a large proportion of the regulars are not from the US... Build up that wall has rather different connotations in my country Smile

So where in TX are you from?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Howdy Munch 19 1219 May 2, 2019 at 2:41 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Howdy Icy 23 2168 July 22, 2018 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Howdy from Texas! brian1570 71 7222 September 8, 2015 at 1:22 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Howdy! thehedglin 15 2481 August 30, 2015 at 2:45 pm
Last Post: MTL
  Howdy IATIA 20 3192 February 22, 2015 at 2:35 am