Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Telling my parents
Telling my parents
Hello, I am almost 19 years old, living in a christian household. My parents are very active in the church, I have not been going recently and my parents haven't mentioned it. They usually just let me sleep cause I was at work late, etc.  I am going on a month long trip with my boyfriend in November and immediately after we will be moving into an apartment together. I am finically independent besides my cell phone, and living in their home.  None of my brothers and I actively show interest in church or the bible but they still assume we believe in god.  

I do not know how and when to tell them I am no longer a believer. I have to tell them because they are so against sex before marriage and cohabitation that they need to know I don't think its wrong because I am an athiest. They are super close minded and will be very angry and sad and there will be lots of arguing. Does anyone have any advice or been in a similar situation?

Thank you!
RE: Telling my parents
Let sleeping dogs lie.

If they aren't breaking your balls about it there is no need to break theirs.
I haven't been, sorry.

All I can say is you're an adult so don't fall for any emotional blackmail or special pleading.

Be strong and live your own life.

Good luck.
Dying to live, living to die.
There are some theists that don't think it's wrong either.

Let them broach of the subject first. Just be prepared.

Edit: Welcome! Tell us more about you.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Maybe not come out as such but not hide anything either. Coming out makes it a big thing which communicates to them that you are still unsure about it. Being nonchalent and confident without stating anything explicit unless they ask you directly communicates to them that it's not a big deal. Of course they will try to make it a big deal but you don't have to let them.

Move in with your boyfriend and when they press their concerns, the onus is on them to justify why they think it's an issue. If you come out to them then the onus is on you to justify your non-belief.
I don't understand your rationale. You think they will feel better about your premarital sex if you tell them that you're not a believer any longer, too?! How is that supposed to help?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

A different tack, though I mostly agree with Min here. You could turn the tables on them.

Tell them you wanted to assure them that you still love them and aren't angry about being recruited to their religion. Tell them you want them to know you respect their beliefs and don't find them quaint. They just aren't yours. Period.

Make it about assuring them that you're not melting down about it. That they would isn't even a question in your mind.
Thinking about your kid having sex is no fun...my advice would be, don't make it worse by telling them you also don't believe in God. Also, welcome to the forum Smile
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
Welcome matey...
Still not sure if gay or not.
Coming out with that will make the other stuff fall into place.

If straight, tell them, do they want to gain a son in law or lose a daughter?
My parents decided to lose their son because I didn't marry a stupid greek!
Just because they are your parents does not mean that they are not selfish and/or superficial people.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Welcome to the forums.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OK Bill to allow parents to sue teachers if they teach anything that opposes religion Cecelia 28 2044 February 20, 2022 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  The soft toys parents hope connect kids to their faith zebo-the-fat 13 1253 October 31, 2021 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  My Mormon parents NuclearEnergy 11 2318 October 9, 2021 at 7:26 pm
  Jesus had no parents Ferrocyanide 21 2116 October 7, 2021 at 8:42 pm
  Growing up, did your parents have weird rules because of religion GODZILLA 7 1186 November 15, 2018 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  A religious delimma. (God Parents) ignoramus 2 685 June 29, 2018 at 6:21 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  I have a question about religious parents Der/die AtheistIn 22 3729 January 25, 2018 at 7:56 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Telling fact from fiction robvalue 117 14116 July 23, 2016 at 8:19 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Being perceived as stubborn by my parents. Mystic 13 2848 December 27, 2014 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Salvation Army: Gay parents deserve to be put to death Ryantology 56 14661 June 14, 2013 at 2:27 am
Last Post: fr0d0