Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 8:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why there is something rather than nothing...
Why there is something rather than nothing...
plus, an inspirational video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLu1cTKBspI

I started my academic career 30 years ago as a physics major before switching to computer science (so that I could get a job), and it took me a long time to realize, on a truly conscious level, that general relativity is a theory of four equal dimensions.  I just didn't get it (which is likely why I failed to become a physicist) until I listened to the Carroll & Craig (what a loser) debate that took place a few years ago.  But, yes, indeed there are purely naturalistic cosmological models that are eternal.  And, indeed, Carroll, in his debate with Craig, pointed one out:

http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0301042

In GR, time is an axis, just like the 3 dimensions that we all know and love, and so, in eternal cosmological models, the time axis runs from minus infinity to plus infinity.  It took many years before this one sank in (not too recently, of course), but I am posting this thread mainly for the great Sagan video.  What an incredible mind!  Not a perfect human being, of course (who is), but a man who went through his entire life with basically two to three full-time jobs.
RE: Why there is something rather than nothing...
It's nice to have a variety of perspectives, but when it comes to cosmogony, anything other than absolute bewilderment is (IMO) delusional.
Why is "nothing" the assumed default position? Something from nothing is less plausible than a something that vacates space to create a relative "nothing" (vacuum state) with smaller parts of "something-ness" flying around inside.
"Leave it to me to find a way to be,
Consider me a satellite forever orbiting,
I knew the rules but the rules did not know me, guaranteed." - Eddie Vedder
Maybe there is something and there is nothing.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(August 24, 2016 at 1:56 am)robvalue Wrote: Maybe there is something and there is nothing.

Well there is now...but before the inflation of our time-space "nothingness"?

Or are you thinking of a true absence?
I don't know what I meant really. I was trying to sound deep.

Maybe even nothingness can experience itself...
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Guy from inspirational videos sounds like Eldar from Warhammer 40k. F*** space and universe. This is too idealistic. People dont care about unity and space when were potentialy on the verge of WW3 because of the resources.
(August 24, 2016 at 4:16 am)purplepurpose Wrote: Guy from inspirational videos sounds like Eldar from Warhammer 40k. F*** space and universe. This is too idealistic. People dont care about unity and space when were potentialy on the verge of WW3 because of the resources.

Would knowing the nested manifold of space-time and the ability to tap into the fundamental torque of the universe be helpful?

We are running out of resources because they are poorly managed, horded and we still practice "caveman tech"

Atom bombs is caveman tech (smashing shit together), particle collides (smashing shit together) lauching vehicles into space is ridiculously wasteful and polluting.

A developing species either learns how the universe actually works and works with it, or it destroys it's biosphere and then the planet usually destroys the civilization if it doesn't destroy itself first from it's own greed, ignorance, and shortsightedness.

The universe has a way of self cleaning, and we put ourselves on the shit list.
(August 24, 2016 at 4:16 am)purplepurpose Wrote: Guy from inspirational videos sounds like Eldar from Warhammer 40k. F*** space and universe. This is too idealistic. People dont care about unity and space when were potentialy on the verge of WW3 because of the resources.

That "guy" is Carl Sagan.  I'm surprised that you did not recognize him immediately, but, perhaps, I am getting old!
His first line, 'the cosmos is all that ever was, all that is or ever will be', is in my opinion, something that we will never ever know.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is PeTA atheist or something of a humanist? BananaFlambe 11 770 December 4, 2023 at 4:38 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Maybe there's something like a god out there. Ryantology 38 3023 June 5, 2020 at 8:42 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Everything & Nothing possibletarian 0 695 January 13, 2020 at 5:42 am
Last Post: possibletarian
  Why are there barely any teens on AF? DodosAreDead 22 3379 July 26, 2018 at 12:15 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Life is nothing Mikeykitty123 78 12177 January 18, 2018 at 6:34 am
Last Post: Iroscato
  Would you rather purplepurpose 11 2396 November 30, 2017 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  There are more American Atheists than we thought Aroura 26 8690 May 27, 2017 at 11:16 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Even in darkest times here is something that made me smile dyresand 3 1948 May 17, 2017 at 10:01 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Why are there less female atheists? Lebneni Murtad 45 8397 March 8, 2017 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Always something new to learn Foxaèr 26 3940 July 10, 2016 at 11:55 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus