Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's talk about drugs
Let's talk about drugs
Let's talk about drugs (in the U.S., specifically.) 

Pot should be legalized, that's a given. The other drugs though...it'd be hypocritical not to legalize them. Any negative attribute you could easily attribute to alcohol and/or tobacco as well. Let's list some of the arguments I've heard from people who want hard drugs to stay illegal:

-They are highly addictive (also applies to alcohol, tobacco, and caffeine)
-They can impair your ability to drive (also applies to alcohol)
-They can make you a danger to yourself (also applies to alcohol, tobacco, and caffeine)
-They can make you a danger to others (also applies to alcohol)

Now, all that being said, I believe that hard drugs shouldn't be legalized; just because some horrible substances are legal doesn't mean we should make more of them legal. I think we should only decriminalize them; I wouldn't really want to see stores selling meth.

But yeah, pot should definitely be legalized. Bong Honestly, the only good argument against legalizing pot is that when the government taxes the hell out of it it'll be way more expensive than my current dealer.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
RE: Let's talk about drugs
I agree with decriminalizing drug use and favor rehabilitation over incarceration, but have a problem with how the argument is presented. Your bulleted items aren't necessarily untrue, but lack the perspective of degree. Befriend a heroin addict and see if alcohol, tobacco and caffeine still register equivalent effects. The line of reasoning is unconvincing.
I don't even go as far as smoking pot, but I agree that they should all be legalized... with restrictions.

Base it around the idea of the drugs that are already legal. Don't go to work under the influence, don't drive, and set an age limit (although 21 is too high of a limit). There should also be drug-free areas.

Of course I also see the issue with drugs like meth being sold at your nearest convenience store. What kind of additional restrictions should be placed on drugs like that, if any? I really have no idea. It definitely conflicts with the idea about making all drugs legal, which is why I wouldn't just jump the gun on this.
I don't believe you. Get over it.
Meth -is- sold at your nearest convenience store, that's why there's a meth problem. It's cheaper than crack was and you don't need to go to a south american country to source it.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 30, 2016 at 10:00 pm)Jesster Wrote: I don't even go as far as smoking pot, but I agree that they should all be legalized... with restrictions.

Base it around the idea of the drugs that are already legal. Don't go to work under the influence, don't drive, and set an age limit (although 21 is too high of a limit). There should also be drug-free areas.

Of course I also see the issue with drugs like meth being sold at your nearest convenience store. What kind of additional restrictions should be placed on drugs like that, if any? I really have no idea. It definitely conflicts with the idea about making all drugs legal, which is why I wouldn't just jump the gun on this.

Employers would still set their own standards. Bus drivers and  nurses are already forbidden to work while drunk on legal alcohol. Alcohol is legal.

Not restricting this debate to recreational substances. Buy antibiotics without a script?.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

I think most of the worst stories regarding drugs tend to happen because they're made with stuff they shouldn't be made with. If they were legalized and regulated properly, they wouldn't be as much of a problem. And we know that completely banning something doesn't exactly help the situation. So legalize, tax, and regulate all substances. When someone becomes addicted, treat it as a medical condition, and get them help.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Pot is a no-brainer. Favoring treatment over incarceration is also a no brainer.

I can say comparing alcohol to heroin or cocaine is an inapt comparison. I'm an ex cocaine abuser and I have known plenty of cocaine and opiate abusers and lots of alcoholics and I'm not sure that I believe that the social impact is similar on a per-user basis. Yeah I know personal experience isn't exactly compelling, nor should it be, but I would not wish to see certain drugs treated the similarly to alcohol. I'm all for treating it as a public health issue rather than one for law enforcement.
(August 30, 2016 at 10:13 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Pot is a no-brainer.   Favoring treatment over incarceration is also a no brainer.

I can say comparing alcohol to heroin or cocaine is an inapt comparison.  I'm an ex cocaine abuser and I have known plenty of cocaine and opiate abusers and lots of alcoholics and I'm not sure that I believe that the social impact is similar on a per-user basis.   Yeah I know personal experience isn't exactly compelling, nor should it be, but I would not wish to see certain drugs treated the similarly to alcohol.    I'm all for treating it as a public health issue rather than one for law enforcement.

Actually, I respect the personal experience in this case. I have absolutely none, so I'm just trying to judge it from a distance.
I don't believe you. Get over it.
By the way, legal pot is not more expensive than you r local dealer.

WA state taxes the fuck out of weed, and I can go buy an eighth for under $20 if I'm not too picky, and there is outstanding weed in the $30-35 range.

Across the border in Oregon, oddly enough legal prices are almost identical despite a much friendlier tax structure.
(August 30, 2016 at 9:51 pm)Aegon Wrote: Let's talk about drugs (in the U.S., specifically.) 

Pot should be legalized, that's a given. The other drugs though...it'd be hypocritical not to legalize them. Any negative attribute you could easily attribute to alcohol and/or tobacco as well. Let's list some of the arguments I've heard from people who want hard drugs to stay illegal:

-They are highly addictive (also applies to alcohol, tobacco, and caffeine)
-They can impair your ability to drive (also applies to alcohol)
-They can make you a danger to yourself (also applies to alcohol, tobacco, and caffeine)
-They can make you a danger to others (also applies to alcohol)

Now, all that being said, I believe that hard drugs shouldn't be legalized; just because some horrible substances are legal doesn't mean we should make more of them legal. I think we should only decriminalize them; I wouldn't really want to see stores selling meth.

But yeah, pot should definitely be legalized. Bong Honestly, the only good argument against legalizing pot is that when the government taxes the hell out of it it'll be way more expensive than my current dealer.

To be fair, pot shouldn't be classified as a drug. Period. It is a plant. To take that further, growers of industrial grade hemp will tell you that it has many different uses. One of which was utilized by the United States government during WWII. The US Navy had rope made of hemp for their ships that were tied at the docks. My guess is, once they no longer had a need for it, they decided to make hemp illegal. Is that a stretch? Not really, because anything is possible.

If I'm not mistaken, Canada has legalized hemp farmers and those farmers make many different things such as paper and fabrics. Tobacco farmers here in the US would probably stop growing tobacco if they were allowed to become hemp farmers for industrial uses. Think of all the jobs this could create as well.

(August 30, 2016 at 9:59 pm)Cato Wrote: I agree with decriminalizing drug use and favor rehabilitation over incarceration, but have a problem with how the argument is presented. Your bulleted items aren't necessarily untrue, but lack the perspective of degree. Befriend a heroin addict and see if alcohol, tobacco and caffeine still register equivalent effects. The line of reasoning is unconvincing.

I know a recovering heroin addict. I can tell you the effects are not the same.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Two things I want to talk about, politics wise ShinyCrystals 39 2436 September 23, 2023 at 6:39 am
Last Post: no one
  Let's talk Parental Leave Cecelia 10 1041 October 17, 2021 at 8:25 am
Last Post: Spongebob
  Let’s take their guns BrokenQuill92 141 10016 November 22, 2020 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Let's fill Biden's cabinet. Gawdzilla Sama 54 4146 November 9, 2020 at 12:45 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Let's give the orange turd a nobel prize. ignoramus 15 1216 September 25, 2019 at 10:17 am
Last Post: Shell B
  Weaponizing Fashion (Bannon, Cambridge Analytica talk) bennyboy 0 249 November 30, 2018 at 11:56 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  What Do Republicunts Talk About Behind Closed Doors? Minimalist 3 523 August 9, 2018 at 2:02 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Hey Fuckface- When It Reaches Ken Starr Territory You Can Let Us Know Minimalist 0 387 May 15, 2018 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Yeah, yeah. Don't Let The Door Hit You In The Ass On The Way Out Minimalist 0 631 March 31, 2018 at 12:51 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  So let me get this straight about GOP Healthcare reform NuclearEnergy 4 897 July 18, 2017 at 3:08 am
Last Post: Amarok