Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
home-schooling
home-schooling
What is the purpose of home-schooling?

is it practised in order to keep children away from gay teachers and peers?
that they will not study evilution in those godless schools?

to mods: maybe this thread should go to some other section.
RE: home-schooling
I'll be honest and say that I haven't looked into home-schooling enough to know the actual valid reasons behind it, if any. I also wasn't home-schooled so I don't have any personal experience.

I have heard lately that it has been used as an excuse to insert religion into education since the schools won't do it. I won't make that a generalization though because I know people have been home-schooled for different reasons entirely.

Someone who knows more follow this up for me. I'm running on fumes on this one.
I don't believe you. Get over it.
As far as I know the most common purpose for homeschooling is to indoctrinate children into some rather extreme beliefs that go against a lot of school teachings.

I was homeschooled.

In my case, I was taken out of school to be taught by my parents at age 6 because I couldn't cope with school. Like really couldn't cope. Like my social anxiety was so bad that I couldn't sleep at night unless my parents taught me at home, which, to my delight, they decided to do.

A small part of me wishes that I had gotten over that social anxiety somehow and been taught at home, because I drastically missed out on a social life as a kid.

But a much bigger part of me just thinks "I can't change the past, no point having regrets about it."

Thankfully I was never raised religious. I was taught comparative religion: Taught the gist of the viewpoints of many different religions and also the gist of many Mythologies-- but I was never really taught any specifics because my parents didn't read holy texts to me. So thankfully I never had any stupid holy books imposed on me...

...because, I mean, technically even though my parents don't believe in any holy books: Simply quoting a bunch of it to me could have fucked with my head if I was gullible enough to believe in those holy books. Kids have their own minds of course, so even if the parents aren't religious if they are told about stupid shit there's a chance they might believe in that stupid shit even if their parents don't.

If my parents had taught me holy books rather than just a summary of religions they would have taught me a bunch of holy books, not just one. Comparative religion and teaching mythologies is the way to go IMO. So I think they got that right. I would never shelter a child from religion: I would show them a bunch of different religions, and mythologies, and allow them to come to their own conclusions. Like my parents did. And hopefully they would conclude that all religions are equally a bunch of shit.

So, as I was saying, if I had a child I would want them to draw their own conclusions and make up their own mind. But: at the same time children are sponges to an extent: They easily believe and soak up a lot of information. They're credulous and vulnerable and precious and fragile. So I'd not want to impose even the possibility of them believing horrible fucking shit like the Old Testament, for example. I'd teach a child comparative religion, but I'd personally certainly never quote the horror in the Old Testament to a child. I want them to make up their own minds and treat them as people, but I certainly don't want to even risk the chance of a child believing in vile shit like that.

Anyway, I'm rambling. But this is AF it's kind of what it's for: It's Rambletown here. Hehe.
Moderator Notice
New person, you might want to slow it down on the threads. Tend to the ones you've created already.

It's starting to get spammy.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Intro thread, pl0x?
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
(August 31, 2016 at 8:37 am)SteelCurtain Wrote:
Moderator Notice
New person, you might want to slow it down on the threads. Tend to the ones you've created already.

It's starting to get spammy.

Safirno comes to mind. Angel
The goal of home schooling is to enable children to receive education and be on par with the rest of society even if for some reason they aren't able to attend a proper school. For example children with physical or mental problems, or financial trouble, e.t.c. Essentially the idea is to help spread literacy and education, which is presently being abused heavily.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(August 31, 2016 at 9:21 am)Aoi Magi Wrote: The goal of home schooling is to enable children to receive education and be on par with the rest of society even if for some reason they aren't able to attend a proper school. For example children with physical or mental problems, or financial trouble, e.t.c. Essentially the idea is to help spread literacy and education, which is presently being abused heavily.

That's certainly one goal, and one I would  Clap . However, my relatives don't want their children exposed to "dangerous" thoughts. This include the laws of thermodynamics ("entropy isn't in God's plan), astronomy (for obvious reasons) and non-whites considered to be equals to whites ("because God made man to be master over the beasts of the Earth.")

Unsurprisingly their kids routinely fail the test the State gives for certification of education.
(August 31, 2016 at 7:56 am)mcolafson Wrote: What is the purpose of home-schooling?

is it practised in order to keep children away from gay teachers and peers?
that they will not study evilution in those godless schools?

to mods: maybe this thread should go to some other section.

That might be a purpose for parents who have that goal. It it's not an inherent purpose of homeschooling.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

(August 31, 2016 at 9:34 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(August 31, 2016 at 9:21 am)Aoi Magi Wrote: The goal of home schooling is to enable children to receive education and be on par with the rest of society even if for some reason they aren't able to attend a proper school. For example children with physical or mental problems, or financial trouble, e.t.c. Essentially the idea is to help spread literacy and education, which is presently being abused heavily.

That's certainly one goal, and one I would  Clap . However, my relatives don't want their children exposed to "dangerous" thoughts. This include the laws of thermodynamics ("entropy isn't in God's plan), astronomy (for obvious reasons) and non-whites considered to be equals to whites ("because God made man to be master over the beasts of the Earth.")

Unsurprisingly their kids routinely fail the test the State gives for certification of education.

The problem isn't the intention behind it but the implementation. It's too easy to register for it, in most places only the parent's intention is required, and parent's are at best required to produce a paper showing they have highschool level knowledge and they'll have permission to ruin their child's life.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pedophile Priest Hits Close To Home Seraphina 64 10812 March 14, 2018 at 11:24 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Questions about raising children in a mixed home. Caveman 15 3819 June 27, 2014 at 10:18 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Living Nativity Set - Home Edition Rokcet Scientist 0 1394 August 21, 2011 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: Rokcet Scientist
  God's true home is NOT Heaven Emporion 109 56708 April 2, 2011 at 1:32 pm
Last Post: reverendjeremiah
  Religion in the Home IowaBoy 3 1608 August 20, 2009 at 11:28 pm
Last Post: dry land fish